Certificate of Labor Studies
- Take college credit courses without regard to your location or work schedules.
- Advance your knowledge about the issues that matter most for your day-to-day roles.
- Earn a Certificate and an Advanced Certificate of Labor Studies.
The Cornell ILR Online Labor Studies Program provides busy union activists with an opportunity to take college credit courses without regard to their location or work schedules. While there is no physical classroom there is considerable student-to-student and student-to-instructor interaction, making for lively discussions and group learning.
Courses advance students' knowledge about the issues that matter most to their day-to-day roles and include Collective Bargaining, Labor History, Labor/Employment Law, Contemporary Labor Issues and Contract Administration.
Participants can earn a Certificate and an Advanced Certificate of Labor Studies.
Adjunct faculty are proud members of the Cornell Adjunct Faculty Alliance, NYSUT, AFT, AFL-CIO. Courses and credits earned in Extension Division programs are not automatically accepted as transfer credits or as a basis of admission to the resident Cornell-ILR programs in Ithaca. Student applications and course transfers are evaluated by universities and colleges on an individual basis.
Please download our 2019 Class schedule below for current and future training offerings.
A Certificate of Labor Studies can be earned by successfully completing 18 credit course in the following areas
- Law (Labor Law, Employment Law, or Labor Relations in the Public Sector)- one course
- History (Labor History or Labor & Film)- one course
- Bargaining (Collective Bargaining)- one course
- Electives (Labor, Government and Politics, Contract Administration, Unions and Diversity, and others)- courses
Additionally, an Advanced Certificate of Labor Studies will be awarded to those who complete an additional 9.0 credits offered in the program in any subject area. Each course carries 1.5 or 3.0 undergraduate college credits.
Our on-line credit classes are structured so that you can log-on at any particular time or day throughout the week. The system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This course is designed to acquaint labor relations professionals, union members, union stewards and officers with a basic understanding of public sector labor relations.Learn More
Each online 3.0 credit course is $625.00. Each 1.5 credit course is $312.50.
To register on-line, click on the course name below or contact Arthur Wheaton or (716) 852-1444 x 116.