Dean’s Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The ILR School seeks to further Cornell University’s commitment to inclusion and opportunity, rooted in the democratic and nonsectarian values envisioned by its founders. As the leading academic institution focused on the world of work, labor, and employment, issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are central to our mission. We address these important issues through our teaching, research, outreach and as an employer.
- Teaching: our curriculum across undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels addresses DEI issues as central to understanding the world of work.
- Research: we have leading researchers investigating DEI in the workplace and in society, developing insights that improve policy and practice.
- Outreach: we engage with workers, organizations, and policymakers to help labor, management, and government advance DEI in their own organizations and in their work.
- Employment: we are committed to recruiting and retaining exceptional faculty and staff that reflects the diversity of our students.
Creating an environment where students, staff, and faculty experience a strong sense of community is paramount. We will continue to strive as an institution to advance our DEI commitments and create a more equitable and inclusive environment so all members can thrive.
Alexander Colvin, Kenneth F. Kahn Dean of the ILR School
The Office of Student Services can help students with inclusion, and offer direct support for those in need. Find out more about the services we offer students, and get in touch with someone who can help.
We host a range of programs and organizations for students from many backgrounds, interests, and identities.
Faculty and Staff
The Center for Teaching Innovation offers workshops and training guides designed focused on the creation of inclusive classrooms.
Cornell University’s Ithaca campus Land Acknowledgement respects and recognizes indigenous peoples and the history and connection to their traditional lands and waters.
Cornell Human Resources support the seven dimensions of wellbeing, including cultural wellbeing, with resources and programs.
Belonging at Cornell
Across the university, initiatives focused on diversity, equity and inclusion support our collective efforts to create a campus community where individuals from diverse backgrounds and life experiences can both contribute and thrive.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council
The ILR School convenes a council on the topic of diversity and inclusion. The council meets quarterly to solicit feedback from the ILR community, to encourage actions which address issues of diversity and inclusion, and ensures the school continues to make progress in this area.
- George Boyer, Senior Associate Dean for Academics (co-chair)
- Kara Lombardi, Assistant Dean for Student Experience and Wellbeing (co-chair)
- Denise Brown-Hart, Assistant Dean for Human Resources (co-chair)
- Angela Canfield, Director of Undergraduate Admissions
- Tonya Eiklor, Human Resources Generalist
- Daniel James, Undergraduate student
- Jessie Mancilla, Associate Director for Multicultural Affairs, Office of Student Services
- Julian Martinez-Moreno, Graduate student
- Wendy Strobel Gower, Program Director, Inclusive Workplaces, YTI
- Pam Tolbert, Lois S. Gray Professor of Industrial and Labor Relations and the Social Sciences
- Tom Addonizio, Assistant Dean for Marketing and Communications
If you want to get involved, contact one of the council members or email: ILRDICouncil@cornell.edu.