Why should I choose the ILR/UCD Semester in Dublin Program?

The ILR/UCD Semester in Dublin program is unique among study abroad programs.  Unlike traditional study abroad, the ILR/UCD Semester in Dublin Program allows approved ILR students to focus specifically on issues of work and workplace relations in the context of the European Union and the global economy.  Students will earn ILR general elective credit, not transfer credits.

Who is eligible to participate in this program?

ILR juniors and seniors with GPAs of 3.0 or above are eligible to apply.  Students must also be making normal progress toward graduation. Applicants are also required to provide a written statement of their educational and personal motivations for participation in the ILR/UCD Semester in Dublin Program.  All admissions decisions will be made by the Director & Associate Director of Off-Campus Credit Programs.

What does it cost?

A sample budget is available under the Cost, Billing & Financial Aid section.  Tuition will be charged at the same rate (in-state or out-of state) as you are currently paying.  Housing costs will vary depending on whether you choose to live on or off-campus.

Will I still be eligible for financial aid?

Yes!  If you currently receive financial aid, you will continue to receive that financial aid while you are off campus.  Financial aid may be adjusted up or down to reflect the comparative expense of studying in Dublin vs. Ithaca.  For more information on financial aid, please see the Cost, Billing & Financial Aid section.

Can I work while I'm abroad?

No.  You may not work while you are abroad whether you are currently receiving federal work study support or if you are just looking to make a little extra spending money.  Students are not allowed under Irish immigration law to work in Ireland at any time.

How many credits will I receive?

Students will receive 12 ILR general elective credits for their participation in this program.  All students are also required to take a 3 credit class, Introduction to Irish History & Culture.  This class may count toward the ILR Western Intellectual Tradition requirement.  If a student has already completed that requirement, the 3 credits will count as 3 transfer credits.

Will these courses count toward my ILR requirements?

Yes, these courses will count toward your 40 ILR General Elective requirements.  Moreover, all of these courses will be considered IC credit and will count toward your IC requirement.  Finally, Irish History & Culture may be counted as your Western Intellectual Tradition requirement if it has not already been fulfilled.

Can I get a copies of syllabi to review?

Yes.  Syllabi are available for approved UCD courses.  However, these syllabi are not always the most up-to-date versions and should be used only as a guideline in your decision-making.

Is housing available?

Yes, the ILR School has guaranteed on-campus housing for all of our students.  However, interested students are also eligible to live off-campus if they would like to.  For more information on the different housing options, please visit the housing section and the UCD housing website.

If you arrive prior to the program's start date or choose to remain abroad following the end of the semester, you are responsible for arranging and paying for accommodation.

Once I'm abroad, how do I register for next semester's classes?

You will continue to receive regular email from the Office of Student Services, including notifications on pre-registration.  For students who are abroad, you should pre-enroll just as you would if you were on-campus.  Any questions on the process or on course selection should be directed to Jenn Weidner (jlw297@cornell.edu) in OSS BEFORE your scheduled pre-enrollment date.

Will I still be able to make use of the Office of Career Services?

Yes.  We encourage you to make an appointment to speak with a Career Services counselor before you leave for your semester abroad.  They will give you detailed information on the process for full-time and summer internship recruiting while you are in Dublin.  The Career Services advisor for off-campus students is Marcia Harding.  She can be reached by email at mlh15@cornell.edu.

How will study abroad affect my health insurance?

Every student who goes abroad through the ILR/UCD Semester in Dublin Program must secure health insurance that gives them complete medical and accident insurance while abroad.  This insurance can be obtained through the Cornell Student Health Insurance Program or through a private insurer.  For more information, please see the health insurance section of this website under Safety, Security & Health.

Can my health and safety be guaranteed if I study in Ireland?

No, no more than they can be guaranteed here on the Cornell campus in Ithaca.  Ireland has a relatively low crime rate, and study there is unlikely to be any riskier than studying here on campus.  In the end, your personal behavior and preparation will be the most valuable in maximizing your health and safety while you are abroad.

Students participating in this program are eligible for all the services available through UCD's Student Health Service.  SHS provides on-campus medical, psychological, and psychiatric care to all registered students.  The Student Health Service is located on the first floor of the Student Centre building, adjacent to the Sports Centre & Science Buildings.  For more information, please visit the SHS website.

Do I need a visa?

No, you do not need a visa to study in Ireland if you are a US citizen or a US permanent resident. You will, however, need a passport.  Passport applications should be made at least 6 months in advance of the semester you intend to be abroad.

International students may need visas, and should consult with the Office of Off-Campus Credit Programs and the Office of International Students & Scholars for more information. 

Are international students eligible?

Yes, international students are eligible. However, international students wishing to participate in this program should schedule an appointment to meet with ILR’s Office of Off-Campus Credit Programs and Cornell’s Office of International Students & Scholars before committing themselves to the program. Time spent overseas could affect your immigration status. You may also need to apply for a visa.

Are there accommodations for students with disabilities?

Yes, UCD has a very detailed structure for students with both physical and learning disabilities. UCD makes an attempt to accommodate every student when possible.For more information, please see the Safety, Security & Health section of this website.

Should I get an International Student ID Card?

We strongly encourage students to purchase ISICs. The card identifies you as a student, making you eligible for reductions on travel fares, museums, theaters, and many other student discounts.  The card also carries basic medical and accident insurance, although it may not be used as a substitute for comprehensive health insurance.

How can I sublet my apartment?

Many students are concerned about subletting their apartment for the semester they will be off campus.  Cornell Abroad offers a subletting forum on their facebook.  Anyone is allowed to join this forum and post a sublet.  Here is the link for Cornell Abroad.

How do I start planning?

Your first step is to stop by the Office of Off-Campus Credit Programs in 119 Ives Hall to get more information on the program.  The Director and Associate Director of the program can help you to think about courses you might want to take in preparation, and answer any questions you might have. You should also attend one of the info sessions that are held every semester.  Keep your grades up!  You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to participate in this program.  Finally, if you do not have a passport, you will need to apply for one no later than six months before you intend to study abroad.  Passport processing is extremely slow right now and you may jeopardize your chances of participating in this program if you wait too long!

How do I apply for this program? 

Interested students will meet with the Director and Associate Director of the program to discuss their interests and motivations for participating in this program.  Once a determination has been made that the student is prepared and serious about the program, the application will be provided to them.  Students may complete either the paper version or the on-line version of the application.  All admissions decisions will be made by the Director and Associate Director of Off-Campus Credit Programs.

How do I get more information?

For more information, please stop by the Office of Off-Campus Credit Programs in 119 Ives Hall.  You should also review this website carefully.  We would invite you to review the website of the Quinn School of Business at UCD for more general information. You are, of course, also encouraged to attend one of our orientation meetings that are held each semester.