Susan BrecherDirector, Curriculum and Training Design
Susan W. Brecher, Esq. is on the faculty as Director of Employee Relations and Employment Law at the Scheinman Institute, Cornell University, ILR. She is also an attorney who specializes in the field of employment practices, internal investigations and dispute resolution.
At Cornell, she is currently managing professional development learning services in Employment Law, Employee Relations, Investigations and Diversity and Inclusion programs. She develops, delivers and implements Cornell classroom, customized, online and blended learning programs. These programs include the areas of HR/EEO Law, Legal Issues for Managers, Preventing Workplace Harassment and Hostile Work Environments, Achieving a Respectful and Ethical Workplace, Internal Investigations and Employee Relations. In addition, Ms. Brecher has authored and teaches eLearning courses for eCornell and other organizations.
Ms. Brecher is responsible for creating unique programs on Employee Relations, Internal Investigations and Problem Solving/Coaching/Facilitating Conflict Resolution. The Problem Solving Conflict Resolution program is designed to assist HR professionals, managers and employees in developing skills and tools for resolving conflicts before they escalate into grievances or disputes. Ms. Brecher has partnered with over 150 private, public and non-profit organizations to develop and present customized training programs.
During her tenure at Cornell, Ms. Brecher served as a Director of Statewide Management Programs as well as oversight of all aspects of the EEO, Labor Relations, Human Resources Management Development and Online Learning programs. Ms. Brecher has partnered with over 100 private, public and non-profit organizations to develop and present customized training programs.
In addition, Ms. Brecher advises, consults, coaches, facilitates and handles all aspects of employment law and dispute resolution issues including providing legal advice, executive coaching, one-on-one coaching for appropriate workplace behavior, effective management and resolving workplace disputes; internal investigations, facilitation and neutral fact-finding for private, public and non-profit organizations.
Ms. Brecher co-authored a column on training for the periodical HR Advisor Legal & Practical Guidance. She has also published some of her materials including, “The Complaint Handler’s Model” contained in the resource book, SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN THE WORKPLACE (Wiley & Sons, 1994).
Before coming to Cornell ILR, Ms. Brecher served as in-house employment Counsel at the American Broadcasting Companies and the National Broadcasting Company and was associated with the law firms Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom and Epstein, Becker and Green. Ms. Brecher has a B.A. summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, from Union College and a J.D. from Case Western Reserve University, where she was on the Law Review.
- Judith Young, Susan W Brecher. 2012. Increase in Disability Cases Means HR Must Focus on Accommodations, Job Descriptions, Bloomberg BNA Human Resources report . 30(37):1013-1014.
- Judith Young, Susan W Brecher. 2012. ADAAA: Think Outside the Silo, @work, Journal of the Disability Management and Employer Coalition . 4(2):8 - 12.
- Susan W Brecher. 2012. Preventing Sexual Harassment: Best Practices for Holding Managers and Employees Accountable, Bloomberg BNA . Volume 30(Number 3).
- Susan W Brecher. 1999. Provide Mini-Training Sessions about your Harassment Policy and Complaint Procedure, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1999. Evaluating the Complaint Handling Process, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training HR Professionals on Resolving Employee Complaints: PART III D Documentation, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training HR Professionals on Resolving Employee Complaints: PART II, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training HR Professionals on Resolving Employee Complaints or Problems, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training Managers and Employees about Company Policies, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training Managers about Investigating Employee Concerns: Part 2, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training Managers about Investigating Employee Concerns, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. The Selection Process: Training the Manager, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Establishing Respect and Dignity in the Workplace, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Training Managers About Listening to Employee Concerns, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Training Managers in Disciplinary Actions, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. How to Conduct Effective Training For Appropriate Workplace Behaviors, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Training Managers on Supervisory Skills and Responsibilities, H.R. Advisor Magazine .
- Susan W Brecher. 1996. Selecting and Training Internal Complaint Handlers, H.R. Advisor Magazine .
- Susan W Brecher. 1996. The Manager's Dilemma: Handling Confidentiality, H.R. Advisor Magazine .
- Susan W Brecher. 1994. Sample Sexual Harassment Complaint Handler's Models. New York NY, United States: Wiley, 1994. Julie M Tamminen.
- Ways to Phrase: Win‐Win Strategies for Effectively Addressing Leave and Accommodation Requests. Presented to University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business. Minneapolis, MN. 2016.
- Get it Right: Strategies for Managing Multiple Leaves and Accommodations. Presented to Disability Management and Employer Coalition. Washington, DC. 2015.
- An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure: The ADA/FMLA/Workers Compensation overlap. Presented to same as above. Atlanta, GA. 2013.
- The Interplay of ADA and FMLA. Presented to Employment and Disability Institute (EDI). Online. 2012.
- Navigating FMLA and ADA: Medical Leaves and the Interactive Process. Presented to SHRM: Society for Human Resource Management. Atlanta, Georgia . 2012.
- Navigating the Interplay of ADA and FMLA: medical Leaves and the Interactive Process. Presented to Society of Human Resource Management. Atlanta, GA. 2012.
- The Interplay between ADAAA and FMLA: Legal and Practical Implications. Presented to Disability Management and Employer Coalition. Minneapolis, MN. 2012.
- Interplay between ADAA and FMLA. Presented to DMEC: Disability Management Employer Coalition . Minneapolis . 2012.
- The Interplay Between ADAAA and FMLA. Presented to Society of Human Resource Management. Las Vegas, NV. 2011.