Robert SmithAssociate Dean for Academic Affairs
Robert S. Smith, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University, is also a Professor in the School's Labor Economics Department. After receiving his Ph.D. in Economics at Stanford University in 1971, he taught at the University of Connecticut and worked as an economist in the U.S. Department of Labor before coming to Cornell in 1974. He has authored numerous articles in the field of labor economics and is co-author of Modern Labor Economics: Theory and Public Policy, the leading textbook in its field for 3 decades (and now in its 12th edition).
Professor Smith’s teaching has included the basic required labor economics courses for undergraduates and for students in the School’s professional master’s program. In 1999 he received the School’s General Mills Foundation Award for Innovation in Instruction; in 2006 he received the School's Robert N. Stern Mentoring Award, and in 2010 he received Cornell University's Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellows award for teaching.
Professor Smith's research interests have centered on analyses of various labor market policies, especially those in the safety and health area.
In addition to serving as Associate Dean since 1988, Professor Smith has served in the capacity of Interim Dean four times.
- George Boyer, Robert Smith. 2001. The Development of the Neoclassical Tradition in Labor Economics, . 54(2):199-223.
- Olivia S Mitchell, Robert Smith. 1994. Pension Funding in the Public Sector, . 76(2):278-290.
- Robert Smith, John Ruser. 1991. Reestimating OSHA's Effects: Have the Data Changed?, . 24(2):212-235.
- Robert Smith, James Chelius. 1990. Profit Sharing and Employment Stability, . 43:256S-273S.
- Robert Smith, John Ruser. 1988. The Effect of OSHA Records Check Inspections on Reported Occupational Injuries in Manufacturing Establishments, . 1(4):415-435.
- Robert Smith. 1988. Comparable Worth: Limited Coverage and the Exacerbation of Inequality, . 41(2):227-239.
- Robert Smith, James Chelius. 1987. Firm Size and Regulatory Compliance Costs: The Case of Workers' Compensation, . 6:193-206.
- Robert Smith, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1987. Comparable Worth Wage Adjustments and Female Employment in the State and Local Sector, . 5(1):43-62.
- Robert Smith. 1986. Greasing the Squeaky Wheel: The Relative Productivity of OSHA Complaint Inspections, . 40(1):35-47.
- Robert Smith. 1981. Compensating Differentials for Pensions and Underfunding in the Public Sector, . 63(3):463-468.
- Robert Smith, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1979. Who Pays for Pensions in the State and Local Sector: Workers or Employers?, . 57-63.
- Robert Smith. 1979. Compensating Wage Differentials and Public Policy: A Review, . 32(3):339-352.
- Orley Ashenfelter, Robert Smith. 1979. Compliance with the Minimum Wage Law, . 87(2):333-350.
- Robert Smith. 1979. The Impact of OSHA Inspections on Manufacturing Injury Rates, . 14(2):145-170.
- Robert Smith. 1976. Issues in Safety and Health Regulation, . 36-37.
- Robert Smith, Morris Goldstein. 1976. The Estimated Impact of the Anti-Discrimination Program Aimed at Federal Contractors, . 523-543.
- Robert Smith, Morris Goldstein. 1975. Land Reclamation Requirements and Their Estimated Effects on the Coal Industry, .
- Robert Smith. 1974. The Feasibility of an Injury Tax, . 730-744.
- Robert Smith. 1973. Labor Market Conditions and Employer Hiring Standards: Comment, . 248-249.
- Robert Smith. 1972. Intertemporal Changes in Work Injury Rates, . 167-174.
- Robert Flanagan, Robert Smith, Lawrence Kahn, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1988. Economics of the Employment Relationship. Glenview IL: Scott Foresman, 1988.
- James Chelius, Robert Smith. 1987. Small Business and the Financing of Workers' Compensation: Issues, Evidence, and Options. Washington, DC: NFIB Foundation, 1987.
- Robert J Flanagan, Ronald Ehrenberg, Robert Smith. 1984. Labor Economics and Labor Relations. Glenview IL: Scott, Foresman, 1984.
- Robert Smith, George Boyer. 1998. Labor Economics. in Industrial Relations at the Dawn of the New Millennium. Ithaca NY: New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations, 1998. Jean T McKelvey, Maurice F Neufeld. (97-114)
- George Boyer, Robert Smith. 1998. Labor Economics. in Industrial Relations at the Dawn of the New Millennium. Ithaca NY: New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations, 1998. Jean T McKelvey, Maurice F Neufeld.
- Robert Smith. 1992. Have OSHA and Workers' Compensation Made the Workplace Safer?. in Research Frontiers in Industrial Relations and Human Resources. Madison WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1992. (557-587)
- Robert Smith. 1986. The Economics of Job Displacement. in Disability and the Labor Market: Economic Problems, Policies and Programs. Ithaca NY: ILR Press, 1986. Monroe Berkowitz, M Anne Hill. (171-195)
- Robert Smith, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1983. Estimating Wage-Fringe Trade-Offs: Some Data Problems. in The Measurement of Labor Cost. Chicago IL: University of Chicago Press for the National Bureau of Economic Research, Studies in Income and Wealth, 1983. Jack E Triplett.
- Robert Smith. 1983. Salaries and Pension Funding: Are Public Safety Officers Given Preference Over Taxpayers?. in The Economics of Municipal Labor Markets. Los Angeles CA: Institute of Industrial Relations, UCLA, 1983. Werner Z Hirsch, Anthony M Ruffalo.
- Robert Smith, James Chelius. 1983. The Responsiveness of Injury Rates to Experience-Rating of Workers' Compensation Insurance. in Safety and the Workforce: Incentives and Disincentives in Workers' Compensation. Ithaca NY: ILR Press, 1983. John Worrall.
- Robert Smith. 1981. Protecting Workers' Health and Safety. in Instead of Regulation. Lexington MA: Lexington Books, 1981. Robert Poole.
- Robert Smith, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1980. A Framework for Evaluating State and Local Government Pension Reform. in Public Sector Labor Markets (Papers on Public Economics Series Vol. 4). Urban Institute, 1980. Peter Mieszkowski, George Peterson.
- Robert Smith, Walter Galenson. 1978. The United States. in Labor in the Twentieth Century. New York NY: Academic Press, 1978.
- Robert Smith, Morris Goldstein. 1977. The Predicted Impact of the Black Lung Benefits Program on the Coal Industry. in Evaluating the Labor-Market Effects of Social Programs. Industrial Relations Section, Princeton University, 1977. Orley Ashenfelter, James Blum. (133-182)
- Robert Smith. 1973. An Analysis of Work Injuries in Manufacturing Industry. in Supplemental Studies for the National Commission on State Workmen's Compensation Laws. 1973.
- Robert Smith. 2001. Review of 'A Prelude to the Welfare State: The Origin of Workers’ Compensation' by Price V. Fishback and Shawn Everett Kantor. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 2001. (893-894)
- Robert Smith. 1998. Review of 'Curing The Dutch Disease: An International Perspective on Disability Policy Reform' edited by Leo J. M. Aarts, Richard V. Burkhauser, and Philip R. DeJong. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1998. (331-332)
- Robert Smith. 1995. Review of 'Labor Economics and Industrial Relations' by Clark Kerr and Paul Staudohar. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1995. (177-178)
- Robert Smith. 1992. Review of 'The Economic Consequences of Immigration' by Julian Simon. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1992. (393-395)
- Robert Smith. 1990. Review of 'Three Worlds of Labor Economics' by Garth Mangum and Peter Philips. in Journal of Economic Literature. 1990. (111-113)
- Robert Smith. 1988. Review of 'The Tragedy of Black Lung' by Peter S Barth. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1988. (472-473)
- Robert Smith. 1988. Review of 'Unemployment: An Economic Analysis' by K G Knight. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1988. (470-471)
- Robert Smith. 1984. Review of 'The Scientific Basis of Health and Safety Regulation' by Robert Crandall and Lester Lave. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1984. (304-305)
- Robert Smith. 1980. Review of 'Regulating Safety: An Economic and Political Analysis of Occupational Safety and Health Policy' by John Mendeloff. in Journal of Political Economy. 1980. (822-825)
- Robert Smith. 1977. Review of 'Work and Welfare in Britain and the USA' by Bruno Stein. in Monthly Labor Review. 1977.
- Robert Smith. 1977. Review of 'Crisis in the Workplace' by Nicholas Ashford. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1977.
- Robert Smith. 1973. Review of 'The Political Economy of Urban Poverty' by Charles Sackrey. in Review of Social Economy. 1973.
- Robert Smith, Olivia Mitchell. 1992. Public Sector Pensions: Benefits, Funding, and Unionization. in Proceedings of the Industrial Relations Research Association, Winter 1992. Madison WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1992. (126-133)
- Robert Smith. 1990. Mostly on Monday: Is Workers' Compensation Covering Off-the-Job Injuries?. in Benefits, Costs, and Cycles in Workers' Compensation. Norwell MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1990. Philip Borba, David Appel. (115-127)
- Robert Smith, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1987. Comparable Worth in the Public Sector. in Public Sector Payrolls. Chicago IL: University of Chicago Press for the National Bureau of Economic Research, 1987.
- Robert Smith, Ronald Ehrenberg. 1984. Economic and Statistical Analysis of Discrimination in Hiring. in Proceedings of the Industrial Relations Research Association, Winter 1983. Madison WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1984. (22-23)
- Robert Smith, Alan Dillingham. 1984. Union Effects on the Valuation of Fatal Risk. in Proceedings of the Industrial Relations Research Association, Winter 1983. Madison WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1984. (270-277)