People at ILR
Emily ZitekAssociate Professor
Emily Zitek joined the School of Industrial and Labor Relations in 2012. She received her B.A. in psychology from Rice University in 2003 and her Ph.D. in social psychology from Stanford University in 2010. Professor Zitek also has training in statistics. She received a B.A. in statistics from Rice in 2003 and an M.S. in statistics from Stanford in 2008.
Professor Zitek teaches Sport Psychology and Social Science Research Methods to undergraduates, and Data Analysis in Practice to graduate students.
Professor Zitek studies topics such as the sources and consequences of psychological entitlement, why hierarchies are a prevalent form of organizing, how people react to positive and negative events (e.g., good or bad luck, rejection, poor performance, etc.), stereotyping and discrimination in various domains, and factors that affect people’s participation and performance in sports.
Professor Zitek is the director of the Expo Lab. She also enjoys providing ad hoc statistical consulting to ILR students.
- Emily Zitek, Alexander H. Jordan. 2019. Psychological Entitlement Predicts Failure to Follow Instructions, Social Psychological and Personality Science . 10(2):172-180.
- Sebastian M Deri, Emily Zitek. 2017. Did You Reject Me for Someone Else? Rejections That are Comparative Feel Worse, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin . 43(12):1675-1685.
- Emily Zitek, Alexander H. Jordan. 2016. Narcissism Predicts Support for Hierarchy (At Least When Narcissists Think They Can Rise to the Top), Social Psychological and Personality Science . 7(7):707-716. (DOI:10.1177/1948550616649241)
- Emily Zitek, Lynne Vincent. 2015. Deserve and Diverge: Feeling Entitled Makes People More Creative , Journal of Experimental Social Psychology . 56:242-248. (DOI:10.1016/j.jesp.2014.10.006)
- Emily Zitek, Benoît Monin. 2013. “That’s the one I wanted”: When do competitors copy their opponents’ choices?, Journal of Applied Social Psychology . 43(2):293–305.
- Alexander H Jordan, Emily Zitek. 2012. Marital status bias in perceptions of employees, Basic & Applied Social Psychology . 34(5):474-481.
- Emily Zitek, Larissa Z. Tiedens. 2012. The fluency of social hierarchy: The ease with which hierarchical relationships are seen, remembered, learned, and liked, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology . 102(1):98-115.
- Emily Zitek, Alexander H. Jordan. 2011. Technical fouls predict performance outcomes in the NBA , Athletic Insight . 13:29-39.
- Emily Zitek, Alexander H. Jordan, Benoît Monin, Frederick R. Leach. 2010. Victim entitlement to behave selfishly, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology . 98(2):245-255.
- Emily Zitek, Michelle R Hebl. 2007. The role of social norm clarity in the influenced expression of prejudice over time, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology . 43(6):867-876.