Devon ProudfootAssistant Professor
Devon Proudfoot is an Assistant Professor of Human Resource Studies in the ILR School at Cornell University. Professor Proudfoot's research examines stereotyping and discrimination, how creative ideas are evaluated, and what motivates employee attitudes and behavior.
Her research has been published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Psychological Science, Journal of Applied Psychology, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, and Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
Prior to joining the faculty at Cornell, Devon Proudfoot completed her PhD in Management and Organizations at Duke University. She also holds a MSc In Social Psychology from the London School of Economics and Political Science and a BA in Psychology from McGill University.
Diversity and Inclusion (ILRHR 3640)
Diversity and Inclusion—Advanced Writing Seminar (ILRHR 2640)
Organizational Diversity and Inclusion (ILRHR 6400)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay. 2022. Communal Expectations Conflict with Autonomy Motives: The Western Drive for Autonomy Shapes Women’s Negative Responses to Positive Gender Stereotypes, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology . (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1037/pspa0000311)
- Devon Proudfoot, Sean Fath. 2020. Signaling Creative Genius: How Perceived Social Connectedness Influences Judgments of Creative Potential, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin . (DOI:10.1177/0146167220936061)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay. 2018. How perceptions of one’s organization can affect perceptions of the self: Membership in a stable organization can sustain individuals’ sense of control, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology . (DOI:10.1016/j.jesp.2018.01.004)
- Min B. Kay, Devon Proudfoot, Richard P. Larrick. 2018. There’s No Team in I: How observers perceive individual creativity in a team setting., Journal of Applied Psychology . (DOI:10.1037/apl0000270)
- Sean Fath, Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay. 2017. Effective to a Fault: Organizational structure predicts attitudes toward minority organizations., Journal of Experimental Social Psychology . (DOI:10.1016/j.jesp.2017.10.003)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay, Heather Mann. 2015. Motivated employee blindness: The impact of labor market instability on judgment of organizational inefficiencies, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes . 130:108-122. (DOI:10.1016/j.obhdp.2015.06.008)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay, Christy Z. Koval. 2015. A Gender Bias in the Attribution of Creativity: Archival and Experimental Evidence for the Perceived Association Between Masculinity and Creative Thinking, Psychological Science . 26(11):1751-1761. (DOI:10.1177/0956797615598739)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay. 2014. System justification in organizational contexts: How a Motivated preference for the status quo can affect organizational attitudes and behaviors, . 34:173-187. (DOI:10.1016/j.riob.2014.03.001)
- Kristin Laurin, Aaron C. Kay, Devon Proudfoot, Gavan J. Fitzsimons. 2013. Response to restrictive policies: Reconciling system justification and psychological reactance, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes . 122(2):152-162. (DOI:10.1016/j.obhdp.2013.06.004)
- Devon Proudfoot, E. Allan Lind. 2014. Fairness Heuristic Theory, the Uncertainty Management Model, and Fairness at Work.. in Oxford Handbook of Justice in Work Organizations . Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2014. M. Ambrose & R. Cropanzano. (371 – 385)
- Steven Shepherd, Devon Proudfoot. 2017. System Justification. in The SAGE Encyclopedia of Political Behavior. 2017. F. M. Moghaddam .
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Fellow, Cornell Center for the Social Sciences. 2022
- Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management (GDO Division). 2020
- Best Paper Proceedings , Academy of Management (OB Division). 2019
- Best Paper Award, Gender and Diversity in Organizations (GDO) Division, Academy of Management . 2015
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division, Academy of Management . 2014