As part of the organization of the festival programming at Urban Roots, the fellow will be responsible for
- Communication with the community, the broader public and UR customers regarding the workshops and events
- Establishing a registration program for each event with a survey of participants overall satisfaction and opinion of event
- organizing the physical set up and logistic of workshops
- Working with event facilitators needs
- Working with the GM to cross merchandise and maintain product in store relevant to each event
- The development of a volunteer base to help execute each event.
Urban Roots Community Garden Center Cooperative, Inc. is a cooperatively owned retail garden center on Buffalo’s west side – owned by more than 550 members of the community. In addition to providing a convenient and welcoming location for Buffalo residents to shop for garden materials and supplies, we strive to rejuvenate and improve our neighborhood as well as the quality of life throughout Buffalo with workshops, outreach, and partnerships. Urban Roots is looking forward to an exciting spring/summer season with participation in the Buffalo National Garden Festival June 27 – July 25. National media, including more than 40 garden bloggers from around the country have committed to attend the Festival. As part of Urban Roots participation in the greening and gardening of Buffalo, we will use this event as a way to reach and engage additional residents of the city and surrounding suburbs, as well as to spread the message of the Urban Roots model and the story of the excitement of the regeneration of Buffalo’s near west side. We will host workshops and presentation on urban gardening themes every weekend throughout the festival that will require the organization and execution of each event.