The Field Shadowing Program is designed primarily for first-year ILR students (freshmen and transfer students). It is a one-day shadowing program that provides an invaluable opportunity for participants to explore diverse ILR-related career fields, gain firsthand work exposure, and network with alumni/sponsors.
Career Exploration Project is designed specifically for sophomores, juniors, seniors, and first-year MILRs. Opportunities typically last two to three weeks and are intended for participants to explore a particular industry to develop on-the-job experience through a short-term assignment with a project sponsor.
To participate in the Field Shadowing Program or Career Exploration Project, you must complete the steps below:
- Attend the required info session* on Oct 21, 2021 04:30 PM
- Register for the programs by October 25 and submit your resume through the online application (learn how to apply at the info session)
- Attend the Lottery session on November 12
- FSP 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m. ET
- CEP 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p..m ET
- Note: Please come ready with at least 3-5 top choices of opportunities to select from. All of the options are remote this year and not limited to your geographic area, however consider the dates if they match your family’s plans. We will be sending your lottery number with more information of how to review what opportunities are available.
- Attend the Make the Most Session on November 16 at 4:30 p.m. ET
- Note: This will be after you’ve selected an opportunity and your sponsor information will be shared post session.
*Important deadlines will be covered at the required info session. Failure to comply with these deadlines may compromise your eligibility to participate in the program.
The Field Shadowing Program and Unpaid Career Exploration Projects use a lottery process for participants to select their opportunity. More details and information are shared after you complete the registration process. Sponsors who offer Unpaid Career Exploration Projects must ensure they meet the six federal guidelines set by the FLSA. Once you select a Field Shadowing Program or Unpaid Career Exploration Project in the lottery, you are expected to complete that opportunity.
There are a limited number of paid micro-internships available each year. For these opportunities, the employers have the option to select a particular participant to fill the position through a résumé collection and an interview. All paid opportunities are posted in Handshake.
Although OCS has attempted to expand our geographic base for available career exploration opportunities, we are not able to guarantee that we will have an existing opportunity in everyone’s preferred location. In these cases, it is possible to work with a career advisor in OCS to conduct an independent search. If you are interested in pursuing this option, please schedule an appointment with one of our advisors through Chatter.
What if my plans change?
Students are expected to honor their Field Shadowing Program or Career Exploration Project commitments. Please determine your availability prior to selecting an opportunity on the lottery day. It would be valuable to speak with your family about the program prior to selecting an opportunity to verify plans for the dates allotted and if you will have access to transportation.
If you are participating in Greek Life recruitment, please verify those dates and select opportunities that fit with your availability. If an unforeseeable circumstance impacts your participation, please notify your sponsor and our office immediately at ilrocsEXPLORE@cornell.edu.