Cardiff University was founded in 1883. It is one of the UK's Russell Group universities and is one of the top 5 universities in the UK, with a global reputation for research, teaching, and learning. Its world-leading research was ranked 5th amongst UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework for quality and 2nd for impact. Driven by creativity and curiosity, Cardiff strives to fulfill its social, cultural and economic obligations to Cardiff, Wales, and the world.
The ILR-Cardiff University exchange is with the Cardiff Business School, a world-leading, research intensive business and management school with a proven track record of excellence. Cardiff Business School is proud to be the world’s first public value business school. Guided by its progressive public value strategy and principles, Cardiff Business School is committed to delivering economic and social improvement through interdisciplinary teaching and research that tackles the grand challenges facing the world today. Currently ranked sixth for research quality (out of 101 UK business schools), 86% of Cardiff Business School's output is classed as world-leading, while its research environment came joint first. Cardiff Business School is also consistent as one of only two business schools in the UK to rank in the top 10 in each government research exercise since 1992.
Program Terms and Dates
Fall, Spring, Academic Year
*Note that fall students would be able to finish the term by the start of Cardiff's Christmas recess. Orientation dates not included.
Courses and Credits
Cardiff Business School Courses (make sure to select the correct term at the top)
Other Cardiff Courses (make sure to review the semester in which a particular course is offered)
Students can take a variety of courses in the following areas within Cardiff Business School: Accounting and Finance; Economics; Logistics and Operations Management; Management, Employment, and Organization; and Marketing and Strategy. Students must take the majority of their courses within the Cardiff Business School; however, students may be permitted to take one to two courses outside of the business school.
- Students must enroll in a full course load while abroad (equivalent to 15 credit hours per semester). At Cardiff, ILR students have to enroll in a minimum of 60 Cardiff credits (courses typically range from 10-20 credits) per semester.
- Students can earn up to 15 ILR elective credits per semester.
- Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
Tuition and Other Costs
- This exchange program is tuition-neutral (students pay regular tuition to the ILR School).
- Financial aid would apply; if you are currently receiving financial aid, your package would be adjusted based on your determined level of need and the projected costs of the program.
- ILR exchange students are responsible for the following expenses: passport, visa, airfare, room and board, transportation, course fees (if applicable), books, and personal expenses.
ILR undergraduate students interested in expanding their academic knowledge of the UK may apply. In addition, ILR undergraduate students must
- have junior or senior standing;
- have all ILR core requirements completed;
- be in good standing with the ILR School and the University; and
- have a 3.0 GPA.
How to Apply
Application deadline for Fall 2019 study: March, 15th, 2019, by midnight.*
*Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
1. Make an appointment.
Interested students must meet with Tamara Ingram, Assistant Director ILR International Programs, to discuss plans and eligibility. To make an appointment, e-mail: email@example.com.
2. Complete online application (for Fall 2019 study).
You must log in with your NetID and password to access the application.
Please note that you can only apply the semester prior to your intended semester abroad.