Each application is considered in its entirety and in comparison with other applications for the same class. The admissions committee, composed of faculty members from all concentrations, review the applications carefully and consider many factors in admissions decisions. All materials must be submitted and/or uploaded through the online application system. Please review the frequently asked questions for more information.
- The MILR application is now closed for Fall 2021 admissions. If you have questions about applying for Fall 2021, please contact the ILR Graduate Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also recommend completing a Check Your Eligibility request.
Upon submission of your application, you must upload unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities you've attended. You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, or an equivalent international degree. (See Cornell's list of International Degree Equivalencies) There is no specific minimum grade point average used as a cut-off, although undergraduate coursework and grades are a factor in the admission decisions. Please note that admitted applicants who accept their offer will be required to submit official transcripts.
Two (2) letters of recommendation are required. Academic recommendations are preferred, but professional recommendations are also accepted. Letters of recommendation need to be submitted via the applicant's online application.
After submitting an application for the MILR program, you will be invited to record an online video interview. For your convenience, our interview questions have been pre-recorded so that you can complete your responses at any time. The video interview is part of a holistic assessment that will be considered alongside your completed application. Detailed information about the video interviews will be provided by email after you submit your application.
All applicants are required to submit a resume with their application.
- Academic Statement of Purpose
All applicants are required to submit a statement of purpose with their application.
- GRE or GMAT Scores
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) test scores are not required for admission. If you choose to submit test scores, for GRE exams, send scores to Cornell University Graduate School Code # 2098. Department codes are not used for matching scores to applications; if ETS requires you to select a department code, you may choose “undecided” or “not listed”.
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Submission of official TOEFL/IELTS scores required for all international students. Applicants must meet set minimum scores in order to be admitted to Cornell University under the Cornell Graduate School policy:
- Overall band score for the IELTS is 7.0
- Cornell’s Graduate School downloads IELTS Academic scores that have been transmitted to our e-download account. Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS e-download account: Cornell University Graduate Admissions, Caldwell Hall. We will not accept paper IELTS Academic test report forms. If your test center is unable to transmit your scores electronically, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
- Minimum sub-scores for each element of the TOEFL are: Listening: 15; Reading: 20; Speaking: 22; Writing: 20 (Send scores to Cornell University Graduate School, Code # 2098)
The English language proficiency requirement may be waived if you meet at least one of these criteria: (1) is a citizen of the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada (except Quebec). Applicants who are citizens of India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, or Singapore, are not exempt from the requirement; (2) studied in full-time status for at least two academic years within the last five years in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, or with English language instruction in Canada or South Africa. You must submit a transcript that shows you have attended college in one of these approved locations.
International students may be required to complete Cornell's English for International Students and Scholars (EISS) program prior to enrollment to ensure students of the best chance of success in the program. This is determined by the ILR Graduate Committee.
- Overall band score for the IELTS is 7.0