Virginia DoellgastAnne Evans Estabrook Professor of Employment Relations and Dispute Resolution
Virginia Doellgast is Professor of Comparative Employment Relations in the ILR School at Cornell University. Her research examines the relationship between labor market and collective bargaining institutions, inequality, and job quality, with a focus on the US and Europe. Past research projects have compared labor responses to restructuring in incumbent telecommunications firms; employer collective action in the telecom and ICT sectors; and worker voice and well-being in call centers. She is currently studying the politics of technological change in the US, Canada, Germany, and Norway, based on case studies in the ICT services, telecom, and auto industries. This research is funded by grants from the SSHRC (Canada), the DAAD (Germany), and the Norwegian Research Council.
Professor Doellgast is co-editor of International and Comparative Employment Relations (Sage, 2021) and Reconstructing Solidarity: Labour unions, precarious work, and the politics of institutional change in Europe (Oxford University Press, 2018); and author of Disintegrating Democracy at Work: Labor Unions and the Future of Good Jobs in the Service Economy (Cornell University Press, 2012). Her research has been published in the British Journal of Industrial Relations, Human Resource Management Journal, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations, Politics and Society, and Socio-Economic Review, among other journals. She was Associate Editor of the British Journal of Industrial Relations, has served on the editorial boards of Work, Employment and Society and Transfer: European Review of Labour and Research, and is on the international editorial boards for ILR Review, Industrielle Beziehungen – The German Journal of Industrial Relations, Socio-Economic Review, and Work in the Global Economy.
Professor Doellgast has worked with a range of international research institutions, policy organizations, and labor unions in her research, teaching, and outreach. She is a Senior Research Fellow at the Wirtschafts- und Sozial-wissenschaftliches Institut (Hans Böckler Stiftung, Germany), and has been a visiting scholar at the Max Planck Institute für Gesellschaftsforschung (MPIfG), Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Freie Universität Berlin, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Sociologie du Travail (LEST), and the University of New South Wales (UNSW). She was previously a faculty member at the London School of Economics and Political Science and at King’s College London. She has presented her research at over 20 practitioner-focused meetings or conferences, including those organized by the ILO, the European Commission, and UNI-ICTS. She has been interviewed on the BBC, and been quoted in articles in the Guardian, New York Times, and the New York Review of Books.
- Sean O'Brady, Virginia Doellgast. 2021. Collective Voice and Worker Well‐being: Union Influence on Performance Monitoring and Emotional Exhaustion in Call Centers, Industrial Relations . 60(3):307-337.
- Virginia Doellgast, Matthew Bidwell, Alex Colvin. 2021. New Directions in Employment Relations Theory: Understanding Fragmentation, Identity, and Legitimacy, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . (74/3):555-579.
- Laura Carver, Virginia Doellgast. 2021. Dualism or Solidarity? Conditions for Union Success in Regulating Precarious Work, European Journal of Industrial Relations . 27(4):367-385. (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1177/0959680120978916)
- Steve Vincent, Greg Bamber, Rick Delbridge, Virginia Doellgast, Jo Grady, Irena Grugulis. 2020. Situating human resource management in the political economy: Multilevel theorising and opportunities for kaleidoscopic imagination, Human Resource Management Journal (UK) . 30(4):461-477.
- Virginia Doellgast, Maxime Bellego, Elisa Pannini. 2021. After the social crisis: The transformation of employment relations at France Télécom, Socio-Economic Review . 19(3):1127–1147.
- Virginia Doellgast. 2021. New Directions in Employment Relations Theory: Understanding Fragmentation, Identity, and Legitimacy, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 74(3):555-579.
- Virginia Doellgast, David Marsden. 2019. Institutions as Constraints and Resources: Explaining Cross-national Divergence in Performance Management. , Human Resource Management Journal (UK) . 29(2):199-216. (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-8583.12214)
- Virginia Doellgast, Gregory Jackson, Lucio Baccaro. 2018. Corporate Social Responsibility and Labour Standards: Bridging Private Governance, Industrial Relations and Management Perspectives, British Journal of Industrial Relations . 56(1):3-13.
- Virginia Doellgast. 2018. Negotiating flexibility: External contracting and internal working time control in German and Danish telecommunications firms, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 71(1):117-142.
- Ian Greer, Virginia Doellgast. 2017. Marketization, inequality, and institutional change, Journal of Industrial Relations . 59(2):192-208. (DOI:10.1177/0022185616673685)
- Virginia Doellgast. 2016. Contesting firm boundaries: Institutions, cost structures and the politics of externalization, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 69(3):551-578. (DOI:0019793915624088)
- Virginia Doellgast, Chiara Benassi, Katja Sarmiento-Mirwaldt. 2016. Institutions and Inequality in Liberalizing Markets: Explaining Different Trajectories of Institutional Change in Social Europe, Politics and Society . 44(1):117-142. (DOI:10.1177/0032329215617466)
- Virginia Doellgast. 2015. Intermediary cooperative associations and the institutionalization of participative work practices: A case study in the Danish public sector, Economic and Industrial Democracy . 36(4):701-725. (DOI:10.1177/0143831X14533735)
- Greg Bamber, Fang Lee Cooke, Virginia Doellgast, Chris Wright. 2021. International and comparative employment relations: Global Crises and Institutional Responses. 2021.
- Virginia Doellgast, Nathan Lillie, Valeria Pulignano. 2018. Reconstructing solidarity: Labour unions, precarious work, and the politics of institutional change in Europe. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Virginia Doellgast. 2012. Disintegrating Democracy at Work: Labor Unions and the Future of Good Jobs in the Service Economy. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2012.
- Virginia Doellgast, Chris Wright, Fang Lee Cooke, Greg Bamber. 2021. Conclusions: Globalisation, Crises and Institutional Responses. in International and comparative employment relations, 7th Edition. Sage Publications, 2021. G. Bamber, F.L. Cooke, V. Doellgast, C. Wright.
- Chris Wright, Greg Bamber, Fang Lee Cooke, Virginia Doellgast. 2021. Introduction: Internationally comparative approaches to studying employment relations. in International and Comparative Employment Relations, 7th Edition. Sage Publications, 2021. G. Bamber, F.L. Cooke, V. Doellgast, C. Wright.
- Virginia Doellgast, Chiara Benassi. 2020. Collective Bargaining. in Edward Elgar Handbook of Employee Voice, 2nd Edition. Edward Elgar, 2020. Adrian Wilkinson, Jimmy Donaghey, Tony Dundon and Richard Freeman.
- Virginia Doellgast. 2021. Power, Politics and Influence at Work. By Tony Dundon, Miguel Martínez Lucio, Emma Hughes, Debra Howcroft, Arjan Keizer, and Roger Walden. Perspectives on Work, 2021. (96-97)
- Virginia Doellgast. 2021. Labor power and solidarity in economic bicameralism. in On Isabelle Ferreras’ Firms as Political Entities: Saving Democracy Through Economic Bicameralism, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2017. Socio-Economic Review, 2021. (1201-1215)
- Virginia Doellgast. 2021. Book Review: Transformations of Trade Unionism: Comparative and Transnational Perspectives on Workers Organizing in Europe and the United States, Eighteenth to Twenty-First Centuries, By Ad Knotter. Comparative Labor Law and Policy Journal, 2021.