Shannon GleesonEdmund Ezra Day Professor and Chair, Department of Labor Relations, Law, & History
Shannon Gleeson is professor of Labor Relations, Law, & History at the Cornell ILR School. She earned her Ph.D. in Sociology and Demography from the University of California, Berkeley and was previously on the faculty of the Latin American & Latino Studies Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Her published books include Accountability across Borders: Migrant Rights in North America (University of Texas Press, 2019, edited with Xóchitl Bada), Building Citizenship From Below: Precarity, Migration, and Agency (Routledge, 2017, edited with Marcel Paret), Precarious Claims: The Promise and Failure of Workplace Protections in the United States (University of California Press, 2016), The Nation and Its Peoples: Citizens, Denizens, Migrants (Routledge, 2014, edited with John Park), and Conflicting Commitments: The Politics of Enforcing Immigrant Worker Rights in San Jose and Houston (Cornell University Press, 2012). Her ongoing National Science Foundation (with Els de Graauw) examines the local implementation of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program in three metropolitan regions. With support from the Russell Sage Foundation and the American Bar Foundation, Gleeson is currently working on a book manuscript (with Kate Griffith, Darlène Dubuisson, and Patricia Campos-Medina), entitled Status at Work: Immigration Policy, Race and the Nature of Precarious Labor. Her book Scaling Migrant Worker Rights: How Advocates Collaborate and Contest State Power (with Xóchitl Bada) is forthcoming with University of California Press.
- A. Nicole Kreisberg, Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson. 2022. Explaining Refugee Employment Declines: Structural Shortcomings in Federal Resettlement Support, Social Problems . (DOI:10.1093/socpro/spab080)
- Jacob Lesniewski, Shannon M Gleeson. 2022. Mobilizing Worker Rights: The Challenges of Claims-Driven Processes for Re-regulating the Labor Market, Labor Studies Journal . (DOI:10.1177/0160449X211072565)
- Irene Bloemraad, Ali Chaudhary, Shannon M Gleeson. 2022. Immigrant Organizations, Annual Review of Sociology . 48:319-341. (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-soc-030420-015613)
- Nicholas Vargas, G. Cristina Mora, Shannon M Gleeson. 2021. Ideology and Race in a Pandemic: Patterns of Risk Perception during COVID-19, Social Problems . (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1093/socpro/spab037)
- Berenice Castillo, Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, Shannon M Gleeson, Julia Ma. 2020. Child Externalizing Behavior in Context: Associations of Mother Nonstandard Work, Parenting, and Neighborhoods, Children and Youth Services Review . 116:1-9.
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson. 2020. Labor Unions and Undocumented Immigrants: Local Perspectives on Transversal Solidarity during DACA and DAPA, Critical Sociology . special issue: Transversal Solidarities and the City
- Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith. 2020. Employers as Subjects of the Immigration State: How the State Foments Employment Insecurity for Temporary Immigrant Workers, Law & Social Inquiry . 46(1):92-115. (DOI:10.1017/lsi.2020.17)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2020. Legal Status and Client Satisfaction: The Case of Low-Wage Immigrant Workers , Law & Social Inquiry .
- Caitlin Patler, Shannon M Gleeson, Matthias Schonlau. 2020. Contesting Inequality: The Impact of Immigrant Legal Status and Education on Legal Knowledge and Claims-Making in Low-Wage Labor Markets , Social Problems . 69(2):356–379. (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1093/socpro/spaa029)
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson, Vivian Vázquez. 2020. Immigrants in Shifting Times on Long Island, NY: The Stakes of Losing Temporary Status, Denver Law Review . 97(4):743-759.
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson. 2020. Metropolitan Context and Immigrant Rights Experiences: DACA Awareness and Support in Houston, Urban Geography .
- Marcel Paret, Sofya Aptekar, Shannon M Gleeson. 2020. Capitalism and the Immigrant Rights Movement in the United States, Socialism and Democracy .
- Shannon M Gleeson, Xóchitl Bada. 2019. Institutionalizing a Binational Enforcement Strategy for Migrant Worker Rights, International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations . 35(2):255-277.
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson. 2019. Trumps 'Immployment' Law Agenda: Intensifying Employment-based Enforcement and Un-authorizing the Authorized, Southwestern Law Review . 48(3).
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson, Xóchitl Bada. 2019. Local Context and Labour-Community Immigrant Rights Coalitions: a Comparison of San Francisco, Chicago, and Houston, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies . 46(4):728-746.
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson. 2018. Immigrant Rights Funding in Peril: Closing Down Access Routes to the American Dream, New Labor Forum . 27(3):58-63.
- Maria Cook, Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith, Lawrence Kahn. 2018. Introduction to a Special Issue on the Impact of Immigrant Legalization Initiatives: International Perspectives on Immigration and the World of Work, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 71(4):807-822.
- Shannon M Gleeson, Prerna Sampat. 2017. Immigrant Resistance in the Age of Trump, New Labor Forum . 27(1).
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson. 2017. The Precarity of Temporality: How Law Inhibits Immigrant Worker Claims, Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 39(1):111-142.
- Marcel Paret, Shannon M Gleeson. 2016. Building Citizenship from Below: Precarity, Migration, and Agency Introduction to Special Issue on "Precarity and Agency through a Migration Lens", Citizenship Studies . 20(3-4):277- 294. (DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13621025.2016.1158356)
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. A New Approach to Migrant Labor Rights Enforcement: The Crisis of Undocumented Worker Abuse and Mexican Consular Advocacy in the United States (2014 UALE Conference Issue: New Models of Worker Representation, Guest Editor: Robert Bruno), Labor Studies Journal . 40(1):32-53. (DOI:10.1177/0160449X14565112)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Brokering Immigrant Worker Rights: An Examination of Local Immigration Control, Administrative Capacity, and Civil Society, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies . 41(3):470-492. (DOI:10.1080/1369183X.2014.921568)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Narratives of Deservingness and the Institutional Youth of Immigrant Workers, Association of Mexican-American Educators Journal . 9(3):47-61.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. 'They Come Here to Work': An Evaluation of the Economic Argument in Favor of Immigrant Rights, Citizenship Studies . 19(3-4):400-420. (DOI:10.1080/13621025.2015.1006173)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Brokered Pathways to Justice and Cracks in the Law: A Closer Look at the Claimsmaking Experiences of Low-wage Workers, WorkingUSA: The Journal of Labor & Society (special issue on “Low Wage Workers & Organizing" edited by M. Anne Visser and Héctor Cordero-Guzmán)) . 18(1):77-102. (DOI:10.1111/wusa.12154)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Means to An End: An Assessment of the Status-blind Approach to Protecting Undocumented Worker Rights, Sociological Perspectives . 57(3):301-320. (DOI:10.1177/0731121414523733)
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson, Irene Bloemraad. 2013. Funding Immigrant Organizations: Suburban Free Riding and Local Civic Presence, American Journal of Sociology . 119(1):75-730. (DOI:10.1086/671168)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Shifting Agendas, Evolving Coalitions: Immigrant Worker Rights in Houston, Working USA: The Journal of Labor & Society . 16(2):207-226. (DOI:10.1111/wusa.12039)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Leveraging Health Capital at the Workplace: An Examination of Health Reporting Behavior among Latino Immigrant Restaurant Workers in the United States, Social Science & Medicine . 75(12):2291-2298. (DOI:10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.08.031) (PubMed Central:23017892)
- Shannon M Gleeson, Irene Bloemraad. 2012. Assessing the Scope of Immigrant Organizations: Official Undercounts and Actual Underrepresentation, Nonprofit & Voluntary Sector Quarterly . 42(2):344-368. (DOI:10.1177/0899764011436105)
- Shannon M Gleeson, Roberto Gonzales. 2012. When Do Papers Matter? An Institutional Analysis of Undocumented Life in the United States, International Migration . 50(4):1-19. (DOI:10.1111/j.1468-2435.2011.00726.x)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2010. Labor Rights for All? The Role of Undocumented Immigrant Status for Worker Claims Making, Law & Social Inquiry . 35(3):561-602. (DOI:10.1111/j.1747-4469.2010.01196.x)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2010. Re-conceptualizing the economic incorporation of immigrants: A comparison of the Mexican and Vietnamese, Latino Studies . 8:69-92. (DOI:10.1057/lst.2009.43)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2009. From Rights to Claims: The Role of Civil Society in Making Rights Real for Vulnerable Workers, Law & Society Review . 43(3):669-700. (DOI:10.1111/j.1540-5893.2009.00385.x)
- Marcel Paret, Shannon M Gleeson. 2006. International Migration in Macro-Stratification Perspective: Bringing Power Back In, Berkeley Journal of Sociology . 50:120-146.
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. . Scaling Migrant Worker Rights: How Advocates Collaborate and Contest State Power. University of California Press, (Accepted)
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. 2019. Accountability Across Borders: Migrant Rights in North America. University of Texas Press, 2019.
- Marcel Paret, Shannon M Gleeson. 2017. Building Citizenship from Below: Precarity, Migration, and Agency. Abingdon and New York: Routledge (reprint of Citizenship Studies special issue), 2017.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2016. Precarious Claims: The Promise and Failure of Workplace Protections in the United States. Oakland, CA: University of California Press, 2016.
- John SW Park, Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. The Nation and Its Peoples: Citizens, Denizens, Migrants. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Conflicting Commitments: The Politics of Enforcing Immigrant Worker Rights in San Jose and Houston. Ithaca, NY, United States: Cornell University Press, 2012.
- Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith. 2022. Workers with Temporary Protected Status: The Value and Limits of Delinking Immigration and Employment Status. in Race, Gender and Contemporary International Labor Migration Regimes: 21st-Century Coolies?. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Edward Elgar Press, 2022. Robyn Magalit Rodriguez and Leticia Saucedo. (110-123)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2021. Labor Precarity, Immigration, and the Challenges of Accessing Worker Rights: Evidence from California. in Precarity and Belonging: Labor, Migration, and Noncitizenship . Rutgers University Press, 2021. Sylvanna Falcón, Steve McKay, Juan Poblete, Catherine Ramírez, and Felicity Amaya Schaeffer..
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. 2020. Transnational Networks for Portable Migrant Labor Rights in North America. in Diaspora Organizations in International Affairs (Global Institutions Series). Routledge Press, 2020. Dennis Dijkzeul and Margit Fauser. (43-63)
- Irene Bloemraad, Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson. 2020. Immigrant Organizations: Civic Voice, Civic (In)equality, and Civic (In)visibility. in The Nonprofit Sector: A Research Handbook. 3rd Edition. Stanford University Press, 2020. Walter W. Powell and Patricia Bromley. (292-313)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2019. From Co-optation to Radical Resistance: An Examination of Organized Labor’s Response(s) to Immigrant Rights in the Era of Trump. in Labor in the Time of Trump. Cornell University/ILR Press, 2019. Jasmine Kerrissey, Eve Weinbaum, Clare Hammonds, Tom Juravich, and Dan Clawson. (149-168)
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. 2018. Estrategias consulares y de la sociedad civil para mejorar el cumplimiento de los derechos laborales de los inmigrantes mexicanos en Estados Unidos (Spanish translation by Sylvia Escárcega Zamarrón). Mexico City, D.F., Mexico: Instituto de Investigaciones Dr. José María Luis Mora , 2018. Antonio Alejo Jaime. (237-261 )
- Amada Armenta, Shannon M Gleeson. 2018. Immigration and Job Quality. in Oxford Handbook of Job Quality. 2018. Rachel Dwyer, Chris Mathieu, and Chris Warhurst. (Accepted)
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. 2018. The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation and the Challenges to Protecting Low-Wage Migrant Workers. in Accountability across Borders: Migrant Rights in North America. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2018. Xóchitl Bada and Shannon Gleeson. (83-112)
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson, Els de Graauw. 2018. Union Organizing, Advocacy, and Services at the Nexus of Immigrant and Labor Rights.. in No One Size Fits All: Worker Organization, Policy, and Movement for a New Economic Age. Labor Employment Relations Association, 2018. Fine, Janice, Linda Burnham, Kate Griffith, Minsun Ji, Victor Narro, Steven Pitts, and Teo Reyes.
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson. 2017. Context, Coalitions, and Organizing: Labor Rights Advocacy in San Francisco and Houston. in The City Is the Factory: Social Movements in the Age of Neoliberal Urbanism. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2017. Miriam Greenberg and Penny Lewis. (80-98)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Between Support and Shame: The Impacts of Workplace Violations for Immigrant Families. in Research in the Sociology of Work: Immigration and Work. Bingley: Emerald, 2015. Tony Payan and Erika De la Garza. (29-52)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Activism and Advocacy. in Hidden Lives and Human Rights in the United States: Understanding the Controversies and Tragedies of Undocumented Immigration. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2014. Lois Lorentzen. (207-232)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Navigating Occupational Health Rights: The Function of Illegality, Language, and Class Inequality in Workers’ Compensation. in The Nation and Its Peoples: Citizens, Denizens, Migrants. New York, United States: Routledge, 2014. John SW Park and Shannon Gleeson . (179-202)
- Leisy J. Abrego, Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Workers, Families, and Immigration Policies. in Undecided Nation: Political Gridlock and the Immigration Crisis. New York, United States: Springer, 2014. Tony Payan and Erika de la Garza. (209-228)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Unauthorized Immigration to the United States. in Immigrants in America: Arrivals, Adaptation and Integration. Santa Barbara, CA, United States: ABC-CLIO, 2013. Elliott Barkan. (1539-1552)
- Irene Bloemraad, Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Making the Case for Organizational Presence: Civic Inclusion, Access to Resources, And Formal Community Organizations. in Comparative Urban and Community Research: Remaking Urban Citizenship: Organizations, Institutions, and the Right to the City. New Brunswick, Canada: Transaction Publishers, 2012. Michael Peter Smith and Michael McQuarrie. (109-134)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2008. Organizing for Latino Immigrant Rights in Two U.S. Cities: The Case of San Jose and Houston. in Civic Hopes and Political Realities: Immigrants, Community Organizations and Political Engagement. New York, United States: Russell Sage Foundation Press, 2008. S. Karthick Ramakrishnan and Irene Bloemraad. (107-133)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2021. Review of Chen, Ming Hsu. Pursuing Citizenship in the Enforcement Era. (Stanford University Press, 2020). Criminal Law and Criminal Justice Books, 2021.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2019. Review of Carré, Francoise and Chris Tilly. Where Bad Jobs Are Better: Retail Jobs across Countries and Companies (Russell Sage Foundation, 2017). American Journal of Sociology, 2019. (1562-1564)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2018. Review of Délano Alonso, Alexandra. From Here and There: Diaspora Policies, Integration, and Social Rights Beyond Borders. (Oxford University Press, 2018). Ethnic and Racial Studies, 2018. (1376-1378)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2017. Review of Gonzales, Alfonso. Reform without Justice: Latino Migrant Politics and the Homeland Security State. in Perspectives on Politics. Oxford University Press, 2017. (240-241)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Review of: Card, David, and Steven Raphael. Immigration, Poverty, and Socioeconomic Inequality. National Poverty Center Series on Poverty and Public Policy (Russell Sage Foundation Press, 2013). in Contemporary Sociology. 2015. (786-788)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Review of: Mora, G. Cristina. Making Hispanics: How Activists, Bureaucrats, and Media Constructed a New American. (University of Chicago Press, 2013). in Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies. 2015. (265-269)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Review of: Lee, Catherine. Fictive Kinship: Family Reunification and the Meaning of Race and Nation in American Immigration. (Russell Sage Foundation, 2013). in American Journal of Sociology. 2014. (624-626)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Review of McKay, Sonia, Eugenia Markova, and Anna Paraskevopoulou 2001. Undocumented Workers' Transitions: Legal Status, Migration, and Work in Europe. in Ethnic and Racial Studies. 2013. (892-894)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Review of: Apostolidis, Paul. Breaks in the Chain: What Immigrant Workers Can Teach America about Democracy. in Contemporary Sociology. 2012. (61-63)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Review of: Sarathy, Brinda. Pineros: Latino Labour and the Changing Face of Forestry in the Pacific Northwest. in Human Ecology. 2012. (807-809)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2011. Review of: Norris, Jim. North for the Harvest: Mexican Workers, Growers, and the Sugar Beet Industry. in Journal of American Ethnic History. 2011. (103-105)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2009. Review of: Telles, Edward E. and Vilma Ortiz. Generations of Exclusion: Mexican Americans, Assimilation, and Race. in City and Community. 2009. (197-199)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2008. Review of: Jiménez, Francisco, Alma M. García, and Richard A. Garcia. Ethnic Community Builders: Mexican Americans in Search of Justice and Power, The Struggle for Citizenship Rights in San José, California. in Contemporary Sociology. 2008. (472-473)