People at ILR
Rosemary BattAlice Cook Professor of Women and Work
Chairperson of the Department of Human Resource Studies
Rosemary Batt is the Alice Hanson Cook Professor of Women and Work at the ILR School, Cornell University. She is a Professor in Human Resource Studies and International and Comparative Labor. She received her BA from Cornell University and her Ph.D. from the Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her research focuses on comparative international studies of management and employment relations, with particular attention to the impact of financialization on management and employment and the globalization and restructuring of service industries and its impact on low wage workers. She previously coordinated the Global Call Center Project/. She has written extensively on human resource practices and their effect on firm performance, the quality of jobs, and wage and employment outcomes.
Her work has appeared in such journals as the Academy of Management Journal, British Journal of Industrial Relations, the European Journal of Industrial Relations, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations, International Journal of Human Resource Management, and Personnel Psychology. She is co-author of Private Equity at Work (2014) with Eileen Appelbaum; co-editor of the Oxford Handbook on Work and Organization and co-author of The New American Workplace: Transforming Work Systems in the United States, Cornell University Press.
- Dorina Chicu, Mireia Valverde, Gerard Ryan, Rosemary Batt. 2016. "The Service-profit Chain in Call Centre Services", . 26(5):616-641.
- Xiangmin Liu, Danielle van Jaarsveld, Rosemary Batt, Ann Frost. 2014. The Influence of Capital Structure on Strategic Human Capital: Evidence from US and Canadian Firms, Journal of Management . 40(2):422-448.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt, Ian Clark. 2013. Implications of Financial Capitalism for Employment Relations Research: Evidence from Breach of Trust and Implicit Contracts in Private Equity Buyouts, British Journal of Industrial Relations . 51(3):498-518.
- Rosemary Batt, Mishel Hermans. 2012. Global Human Resource Management: Bridging Strategic and Institutional Perspectives, Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management . 31:1-52.
- Rosemary Batt, Malllika Banerjee. 2012. The Scope and Trajectory of Strategic HR Research: Evidence from American and British Journals , International Journal of Human Resources Management . 23(9-10):1739-62.
- Rosemary Batt, Alex Colvin. 2011. An Employment Systems Approach to Turnover: HR Practices, Quits, Dismissals, and Customer Satisfaction, Academy of Management Journal . 54(4):696-717.
- Xiangmin Liu, Rosemary Batt. 2010. "How Supervisors Influence Performance: A Multi-level Study of Coaching and Group Management in Technology-mediated Services, Personnel Psychology . 63(265-298).
- Rosemary Batt, Hiro Nohara, Hyunji Kwon. 2010. "Employer Strategies and Wages in New Service Activities: A Comparison of Coordinated and Liberal Market Economics", British Journal of Industrial Relations . 48(2):400-435.
- Virginia Doellgast, Rosemary Batt, Ole Sorensen. 2009. Introduction: Institutional Change and Labor Market Segmentation in European Call Centers, European Journal of Industrial Relations . 15(4):1-23.
- Rosemary Batt, Hiro Nohara. 2009. "How Institutions and Business Strategies Affect Wages: A Cross National Study of Call Centers", Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 62(4):533-52.
- Rosemary Batt, David Holman, Ursula Holtgrewe. 2009. "The Globalization of Service Work: Comparative Institutional Perspectives on Call Centers", Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 62(4):453-88.
- Denise Rousseau, Rosemary Batt. 2007. "Global Competition's Perfect Storm: Why Business and Labor Cannot Solve their Problems Alone", Academy of Management Perspectives . 21(2):16-23.
- Xiangmin Liu, Rosemary Batt. 2007. "The Economic Pay-offs to Informal Training in Routine Service Work, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 61(1):75-89.
- Rosemary Batt. 2004. "Who Benefits from Teams? Comparing the Outcomes for Managers, Supervisors, and Workers", Industrial Relations . 43(1):183-213.
- Harry Katz, Rosemary Batt, Jeffrey Keefe. 2003. The Revitalization of the CWA: Integrating Collective Bargaining, Political Action, and Organizing, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 56(4):573-589.
- Rosemary Batt, Monique Valcour. 2003. "Human Resource Practices as Predictors of Work/Family Outcomes and Employee Turnover, Industrial Relations . 42(2):189-222.
- Rosemary Batt, Alex Colvin, Jeffrey H Keefe. 2002. Employee Voice, Human Resource Practices, and Quit Rates: Evidence from the Telecommunications Industry, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 55(4):573-594.
- Rosemary Batt. 2002. "Managing Customer Services: Human Resource Practices, Quit Rates, and Sales Growth, Academy of Management Journal . 45(3):587-597.
- Rosemary Batt. 2001. "The Economics of Teams Among Technicians, British Journal of Industrial Relations . 39(1):1-25.
- Alex Colvin, Rosemary Batt, Harry Katz. 2001. How Human Resource Practices and Industrial Relations Institutions Affect Managerial Pay, Personnel Psychology . 54(4):903-934.
- Rosemary Batt. 2001. "Explaining Wage Inequality in Telecommunications Services: Customer Segmentation, Huma Resource Practices, and Union Decline", Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 54(2A):425-49.
- Rosemary Batt. 2000. "Strategic Segmentation and Frontline Services: Matching Customers, Employees, and Human Resource Systems", International Journal of Human Resources Management . 11(3):540-61.
- Rosemary Batt. 1999. "Work Organization, Technology, and Performance in Customer Service and Sales", Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 52(4):359-564.
- Rosemary Batt, Owen Darbishire. 1997. “Institutional Determinants of Deregulation and Restructuring: Comparative International Evidence from Telecommunications Services” , Cambridge Journal of Economics .
- Kirsten Wever, Rosemary Batt, Saul Rubenstein. 1996. "Innovation in Isolation: Labor-Management Partnerships in the United States", Economic and labour Relations Review . (Summer).
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 1995. "Worker Participation in Diverse Settings: Does the Form Affect the Outcomes?", British Journal of Industrial Relations . 33(3):353-78.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. 1993. "Policy Levers for High Performance Production Systems", Cambridge Journal of Economics .
- Paul Osterman, Rosemary Batt. 1993. "Employer Centered Training for International Competitiveness", Journal of Policy Analysis and Management . 12(3):456-477.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. 1993. "Policy Levers for High Performance Production Systems", In International Contributions to Labour Studies, annual labor issue of the Cambridge Journal of Economics .
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. 2014. Private Equity at Work: When Wall Street Manages Main Street. NY, NY, United States: Russell Sage Foundation, 2014.
- Rosemary Batt, Stephen Ackroyd, Paul Thompson, Pamela Tolbert. 2004. Oxford Handbook of Work and Organization. Oxford, UK, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. 1994. The New American Workplace: Transforming Work Systems in the US. Ithaca, NY, United States: Cornell ILR Press. Third Printing, 1994.
- Rosemary Batt, . . “The Financial Model of the Firm, the ‘Future of Work’, and Employment Relations” . in The Routledge Companion to Employment Relations . London, England: Routledge, A. Wilkinson, T. Dundon, J. Donaghey, and A. Colvin. (Accepted)
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. . “Are Lower Private Equity Returns the New Normal?”. in The Routledge Companion to Management Buyouts. London, England: Routledge, M. Wright, K. Amess, N. Bacon, and D. Siegel, . (Accepted)
- , Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. . "The Networked Organization: Implications for Jobs and Inequality” . in Making Work More Equal: Understanding the International, Societal, and Systemic Effects on the Organisation of Employment. Manchester, UK: University of Manchester, D. Grimshaw, C. Fagan, G. Hebson and I. Tavora, .
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 2015. Investors as Managers: How Private Equity Firms Manage Labor and Employment Relations . in Financial Market Developments and Labor Relations. Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, United States: Labor and Employment Relations Associaton, 2015. Christian Weller.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt, Jae Eun Lee. 2014. Financial Intermediaries in the United States: Development and Impact on Firms and Employment Relations. Oxford, UK, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 2012. Mondialisation, Nouveaux Acteurs Financiers et Changement Institutionnel : Réflexions Sur l'Héritage du LEST. in Travail, Compétences et Mondialisation. Les Dynamiques Sociétales en Question. Paris, France: Armand Colin, Coll Recherches, 2012. A. Mendez, R. Tchobanian, and A. Vion.
- Caroline Lloyd, Claudia Weinkopf, Rosemary Batt. 2010. "Restructuring Customer Service: Labor Market institutions and Call Center Workers in Europe and the United States". in Low Wages in a Wealthy World, . New York, NY, United States: Russell Sage Foundation, 2010. Gerhard Bosch, Jerome Gautie, Geoff Mason, Ken Mayhew, Wiemer Salverda, John Schmitt, and Niels Westergaard-Nielsen.. (421-466)
- Rosemary Batt. 2007. "Service Strategies: Marketing, Operations, and Human Resource Practices". in The Oxford Handbook of Human Resource Management. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2007. Peter Boxall, John Purcell, and Patrick Wright.
- Rosemary Batt, Virginia Doellgast, Hyunji Kwon. 2006. "Service Management and Employment Systems in US and Indian Call Centers". in Brookings Trade Forum 2005: Offshoring White-collar Work - The Issues and Implications. Washington, DC, United States: The Brookings Institution, 2006. S. Collins and L. Brainard.
- Rosemary Batt, Virginia Doellgast. 2004. "The Organization of Work". in Oxford Handbook of Work and Organization. London, England: Oxford University Press, 2004. S. Ackroyd, R. Batt, P. Thompson, and P. Tolbert.
- Rosemary Batt, Larry Hunter, Steffanie Wilk. 2003. "How and When Does management Matter? Job Quality and Career Opportunities for Call Center Workers". in Low Wage America: How Employers are Reshaping Opportunity in the Workplace. New York, NY, United States: Russell Sage Foundation, 2003. Eileen Appelbaum, Annette Bernhardt, and Richard Murnane.
- Pat Roehling, Rosemary Batt, Phyllis Moen. 2003. "Spillover". in It's About Time: Adaptive Strategies Over the Life Course. Ithaca, NY, United States: Cornell University Press, 2003. Phyllis Moen.
- Rosemary Batt, P Monique Valcour. 2003. Work-life integration: Challenges and Organizational Responses. in It’s about time: Couples and careers. Ithaca NY, United States: Cornell University Press, 2003. P Moen. (310-331)
- Rosemary Batt, Theresa Welbourne. 2002. "Revisiting the Union-Performance Relationship: Evidence from Entrepreneurial Firms. in Managing People in Entrepreneurial Organizations: Advances in Entrepreneurship, Firm Emergence, and Growth. JAI Press, 2002. Jerome Katz and Theresa Welbourne.
- Jeffrey Keefe, Rosemary Batt. 2002. "Telecommunications Services: Union-Management Relations in an Era of Industry Re-Consolidation". in Collective Bargaining: Current Defelopments and Future Challenges. Madison, Wisconsin, United States: IRRA, 2002. Paul Clark, John Delaney, and Ann Frost.
- Rosemary Batt, Owen Darbishire. 2001. "Deregulation and Restructuring in Telecommunications Services in the United States and Germany". in Labor, Business, Banks, and Change in Germany and the United States. Kalamazoo, MI, United States: W.E. UpJohn Press, 2001. Kristen Wever.
- Rosemary Batt. 2000. "Labor Market Institutions and Restructuring in Deregulated Telecommunications Services". in Creating Competitive Capacity. Berlin: edition sigma Verlag, 2000. Peter Berg.
- Rosemary Batt. 2000. "Work Organization, Technology, and Performance in Customer Service an Sales". in Proceedings of the 52nd NYU Conference on labor Law. Kluver Publications, 2000. Samuel Estreicher.
- Rosemary Batt, Jeffrey Keefe. 1999. "Human Resource and Employment Practices in Telecommunications Services". in Employment Practices and Business Strategy. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1999. Peter Cappelli.
- Jeffrey Keefe, Rosemary Batt. 1997. "The United States". in Telecommunications: Restructuring of Work and Employment Relations Worldwide. Ithaca, NY, United States: Cornell University ILR Press, 1997. Harry Katz.
- Rosemary Batt. 1996. "The Changing Nature of Managerial Jobs: Evidence From Telecommunications Services". in Broken ladders: Changing Managerial Careers and Internal Labor Markets. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1996. Paul Osterman.
- Lee Dyer, Thomas Kochan, Rosemary Batt. 1993. International Human Resource Studies: A Framework for Future Research. in Research Frontiers in Industrial Relations and Human Resources. Madison WI, United States: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1993. D Lewin, O Mitchell, P Scherer.
- Danielle van Jaarsveld, Rosemary Batt. 2002. "Changes in Employment and Working Conditions Among Technical & Professional Workers". in Preceedings of the 54th Annual Meetings of the IRRA. Madison, WI, United States: IRRA Series, 2002.
- Rosemary Batt. 1999. "Changing Internal Labor Markets in Service and Sales Occupations. in Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meetings of the IRRA. Madison, WI, United States: IRRA Series, 1999.
- Rosemary Batt, Michael Strausser. 1998. "Labor Market Outcomes of Deregulation in Telecommunications Services. in Proceedings of the 50th Annual Meetings of the IRRA. Madison, WI, United States: IRRA Series, 1998.
- Rosemary Batt. 1996. "The Outcomes of Self-Directed Teams in Services". in Proceedings of the Forty-Eighth Annual Meeting of the IRRA. Madison, WI, United States: IRRA Series, 1996.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Rosemary Batt
- Author Meets Critics: Private Equity at Work . Presented to LERA. Pittsburgh, PA. 2015.
- Investors as Managers: How Private Equity Firms Manage Labor and Employment Relations. Presented to Eastern Economics Association. NY, NY. 2015.
- Managing Multiple Employee Groups and Its Consequences. . Presented to Academy of Management. Philadelphia PA. 2014.
- The Restaurant Industry: Managing different occupational groups and its consequences. . Presented to LERA. Portland, Oregon. 2014.
- New Financial Actors & Employment Relations: A Comparison of Private Equity in the US & EU. Presented to LERA. Denver, Colorado. 2011.
Honors and Awards
- Simon and Hallsworth Visiting Fellowship, University of Manchester. 2018
- Sir John Cass Foundation Public Lecture: "Wall Street and Main Street: Management Dilemmas, Sustainability, Inequality”, British Academy, England. 2017
- Invited Keynote Address. 2016 “Implications of Private Equity Activity in the Health Care Sector.” Conference on ”Fairer Futures: Reshaping Care for Older People” , University of Manchester, England. 2016
- George R. Terry Book Award for Best Contribution to Management Knowledge, Academy of Management 2016 – Runner-up: Private Equity at Work: When Wall Street Manages Main Street (with Eileen Appelbaum) , Academy of Management. 2016
- Invited Keynote Address. “Financial Innovation and Inequality: Challenges for Labor Research and Practice.” , International Conference of the Interuniversity Research Centre on Globalization and Work (CRIMT), HEC Montreal. 2015
- Academic Fellow Scholarly Achievement Award, Labor and Employment Relations Association. 2012
- HR Scholarly Achievement Award: Runner-Up, with Alex Colvin, Academy of Management. 2012
- Invited Keynote Address: The Impact of Financialization on Management and Employment Outcomes, British Sociological Association. 2012
- Invited Keynote Address. 20th Annual John Lovett Memorial Lecture, University of Limerick, Ireland. 2012
- HR Scholarly Achievement Award Finalist, Academy of Management. 2011
- Invited Keynote Address, 40th Anniversary LEST, Laboratoire Economique et Social du Travail, Centre de Recherche National de Science (LEST,CNRS), Aix-en-Provence, U. of Marseille, France. 2010
- Invited Keynote Address. “Beyond the Enterprise: Widening the Horizons of International HRM, Cardiff University, UK. 2009
- Otto Monsted Guest Professor, Danish Technical University, Copenhagen, Denmark.. 2008
- Hallsworth Visiting Professor, Manchester Business School, U. of Manchester, UK. 2008
- Invited Keynote Address. “In Search of Balance: Human Resource Studies in the 21st Century, Dutch HRM Network, Tilburg University, Netherlands. 2007
- Invited Public Lecture: Milton Derber Lecture, University of Illinois. 2007
- International Visiting Fellow, 2006. University of Warwick, UK, Advanced Institute of Management, Economic and Social Research Council, UK. 2006
- Invited Keynote Address: The Relevance of HR in the Global Economy, Monash University and Kings College, London. 2006
- Invited Keynote Address: The Globalization of Service Work, Manchester University, UK. 2006
- HR Scholarly Achievement Award: Best Paper in HR Studies, Acadamy of Management. 2003
- Scholar in Residence, Russell Sage Foundation. 2001
- Outstanding Young Scholar Award, Industrial Relations Research Association. 2000
- Teaching Award, General Mills Award for Best Graduate Teaching, ILR School, Cornell University. 1998
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Nomination, Cornell Inter-Fraternity Council. 1997
- Zenon and Clotilde Zannetos Ph.D. Thesis Prize for the Best Dissertation, Sloan School, MIT. 1996