Pamela TolbertDirector of Graduate Studies
Lois S. Gray Professor of Industrial and Labor Relations and the Social Sciences
and Professor of Organizational Behavior
Professor Tolbert is the Lois S. Gray Professor of ILR and Social Sciences, and chair of the Department of Organizational Behavior. She came to the ILR School in 1983 after receiving her Ph.D. in sociology from UCLA. She is broadly interested in processes of organizational change, the role of organizations in social stratification, and the reciprocal relations between occupational arrangements and organizational structures. Her current research includes studies of the use of tenure systems by higher education organizations, state-level influences on the admission of women to state bar associations, and the composition of corporate boards of directors. She has served on the editorial boards of a variety of organizational and sociological journals, as the book review editor for Administrative Science Quarterly, and as a senior editor for Management Science; Academy of Management Review, and Organization Science. She is currently serving as an associate editor for Administrative Science Quarterly.
- Brandon H Lee, Pamela Tolbert, Wesley Sine. 2014. Certifying the harvest: The role of standards-based certification organizations on new venture founding in the organic food sector, .
- Sangchan Park, Wesley Sine, Pamela Tolbert. 2014. Determinants of organizational compliance with institutional pressures, .
- Mallika Banerjee, Pamela Tolbert, Thomas Diciccio. 2012. Friend or foe? The effects of contingent workers on standard workers' job sttitudes, International Journal of Human Resources Management. 11:2180-2204.
- Michelle M Duguid, Denise L Loyd, Pamela Tolbert. 2012. The Impact of Categorical Status, Numeric Representation and Work Group Prestige on Preference for Demographically Similar Others: A Value Threat Approach. , Organization Science. 23:386-401.
- Pamela Tolbert, Robert David, Wesley D Sine. 2011. Institutional theory and entrepreneurship research: Studying choice and change, Organization Science. 22(5):1332-1344.
- Hugh P. Gunz, Wolfgang Mayrhofer, Pamela Tolbert. 2011. Career as a social and political phenomenon in the globalized economy., Organization Studies.
- , , Pamela Tolbert. 2011. Institutions in action: Tenure systems and faculty employment in colleges and universities, Work and Occupations. 38(3):340-371.
- Pamela Tolbert, Shon R Hiatt. 2010. The shape of things to come: Institutions, entrepreneurs and the case of hedge funds, Research in the Sociology of Work. 21:157-182.
- Pamela Tolbert, Shon Hiatt. 2009. On organizations and oligarchies: Michels in the 21st century, Sociological Classics and Organization Research.
- P Monique Valcour, Pamela Tolbert. 2003. Gender, family and career in the era of boundarylessness: Determinants and effects of intra- and interorganizational mobility, International Journal of Human Resources Management. 14(5):768-787.
- Sheila Danko, Supaporn Vithayathawornwong, Pamela Tolbert. 2003. The role of the physical environment in supporting organizational creativity, Journal of Interior Design. 29:18-35.
- Pamela Tolbert, Phyllis E Moen. 1998. Men's and women's definitions of "good" jobs: Similarities and differences by age and across time, Work and Occupations. 25:147-162.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1998. Two-tiered faculty systems and organizational outcomes, New Directions for Higher Education. 104:71-80.
- Stephen R Barley, Pamela Tolbert. 1997. Institutionalization and structuration: Studying the links between action and institution, Organization Studies. 18:93-118.
- Pamela Tolbert, Tal Simons, Alice Andrews, Jaehoon Rhee. 1995. Effects of gender composition on faculty turnover, Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 48:562-579.
- Pamela Tolbert, Alice A Oberfield. 1991. Sources of organizational demography: Faculty sex ratios in colleges and universities, Sociology of Education. 64(4):305-317.
- Pamela Tolbert, Alice A Oberfield. 1989. Physicians' work, ILR Report. 26:8-13.
- Sara Rynes, Pamela Strausser, Pamela Tolbert. 1988. Aspirations to manage: A comparison of engineering students and working engineers, Journal of Vocational Behavior. 32(2):239-253.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1986. Organizations and inequality: Sources of earnings differences between male and female faculty, Sociology of Education. 59:227-245.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1985. Institutional environments and resource dependence: Sources of administrative structure in institutions of higher education, Administrative Science Quarterly. 30:1-13.
- Pamela Tolbert, Lynne G Zucker. 1983. Institutional sources of change in the formal structure of organizations: The diffusion of civil service reform, 1880-1930, Administrative Science Quarterly. 28:22-39.
- Pamela Tolbert, Richard Hall. 2009. Organizations: Structure, Processes and Outcomes. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1993. Research in the Sociology of Organizations: Collective Bargaining (co-editor). Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1993. Pamela S Tolbert, Peter Bamberger, David Torres.
- Samuel Bacharach, Pamela Tolbert. 1992. Research in the Sociology of Organizations: Organizational Demography and Current Research Issues. Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1992.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1991. Research in the Sociology of Organizations (co-editor). Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1991. Pamela S Tolbert, Richard Majuka, David Torres.
- Pamela Tolbert, Stephen R Barley. 1990. Research in the Sociology of Organizations: Professions and Organizations. Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1990.
- Pamela Tolbert, Lynne G Zucker. . Neo-institutional theory. in Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, (5)(Accepted)
- Pamela Tolbert. 2010. Robert Michels and the Iron Law of Oligarchy. in Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. (Accepted)
- Pamela Tolbert, Shon R. Hiatt. 2010. The shape of things to come: Institutions, entrepreneurs and the case of hedge funds. in Research in the Sociology of Work. Westfield, CT: JAI Press, 2010. (157-182)
- Pamela Tolbert, Shon R Hiatt. 2009. On organizations and oligarchies: Michels in the 21st century. in Sociological Classics and Organizational Research. London: Oxford University Press, 2009. Paul Adler. (174-199)
- C Robert Hinings, Pamela Tolbert. 2008. Organizational institutionalism and sociology: A reflection. in Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism. New York, NY: Sage, 2008. R. Greenwood, C. Oliver, K. Sahlin-Andersson, R. Suddaby. (473-491)
- Barbara Lawrence, Pamela Tolbert. 2007. Structure, norms and outcomes: Organizational demography and individual careers. in Handbook of Career Studies. New York NY: Sage Publications, 2007. H Gunz, M Peiperl. (399-421)
- Janet Marler, Pamela Tolbert. 2003. Alternative employment arrangements: Are they a successful strategy for working couples?. in It's About Time: Work and Family Relations in Dual Career Couples. Ithaca NY: Cornell University Press, 2003. P Moen, S Sweet.
- Pamela Tolbert, Mary Graham, Alice Andrews. 1999. Causes and consequences of variations in groups' gender composition. in Handbook of Gender Studies. Thousand Oaks CA: Sage Publications, 1999. G Powell. (179-202)
- Pamela Tolbert. 1996. Occupations, organizations and boundaryless careers. in Boundaryless Careers. New York NY: Oxford University Press, 1996. M Arthur, D Rousseau. (91-107)
- Pamela Tolbert, Lynne G Zucker. 1996. The institutionalization of institutional theory. in Handbook of Organization Studies. London: Sage Publications, 1996. S Clegg, C Hardy, W Nord. (175-190)
- Pamela Tolbert, Alice Andrews, Tal Simons. 1995. Effects of group proportions on intergroup relations. in Work Team Diversity: Perspectives and Paradigms. Washington, DC: APA Press, 1995. S Jackson, M Ruderman.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1992. Comment on "War and Peace". in Doing Exemplary Organizational Research. Beverly Hills CA: Sage Publications, 1992. P Frost, R Stablein.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1992. Future status of women in white collar and professional occupations. in Breaking the Barriers: White Collar Women on the Move. Washington, DC: Department of Professional Employees, AFL-CIO, 1992. P Wilson. (1-7)
- Stephen R Barley, Pamela Tolbert. 1991. At the intersection of organizations and occupations. in Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1991. Pamela S Tolbert, Stephen R Barley.
- Pamela Tolbert, Robert N Stern. 1991. Governance structures in large law firms. in Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1991. Pamela S Tolbert, Stephen R Barley.
- Pamela Tolbert, Robert N Stern. 1990. Inequality in a company of equals: Participation in large law firms. in International Handbook of Participation in Organizations. London: Oxford University Press, 1990. Raymond Russell, Veljko Rus.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1990. Negotiations in organizations: A sociological perspective. in Research on Negotiations in Organizations. Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1990. M Bazerman, B Sheppard, R Lewicki.
- Pamela Tolbert, Jeffrey Arthur. 1988. Institutionalization and negotiations in organizations. in Research on Negotiations in Organizations. Greenwich CT: JAI Press, 1988. M Bazerman, B Sheppard, R Lewicki.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1988. Institutionalization and organizational culture in major law firms. in Institutional Patterns and Organizations: Culture and Environment. Boston MA: Ballinger Press, 1988. L Zucker.
- Pamela Tolbert. 1990. Review of 'The Systems of Professions: An Essay on the Division of Expert Labor' by Andrew Abbott. in Administrative Science Quarterly. 1990. (410-413)
- Pamela Tolbert. 1990. Review of 'Partners with Power: The Social Transformation of the Large Firm' by Robert Nelson. in American Journal of Sociology. 1990. (1081-1083)
- Pamela Tolbert. 1987. Review of 'Strategy and Organization' by Glenn Carroll and David Vogel. in Administrative Science Quarterly. 1987. (632-635)
- Pamela Tolbert. 1985. Review of 'Critical Studies in Organization and Bureaucracy' by Frank Fischer and Carmen Sirianni. in Contemporary Sociology. 1985. (379-380)
- Pamela Tolbert. 1984. Review of 'Politics of Shopfloor Technology' by Barry Wilkinson. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1984.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Pamela Tolbert
- Becoming an Institution. Presented to Sociology, UCLA. Los Angeles. 2014.
- Pure and Complex: Impacts of Category-Spanning among American Art Museums . Presented to Johns Hopkins University. Baltimore MD. 2014.
- Institutional Theory. Presented to George Washington University. Washington, D.C.. 2014.
- Moving towards Gender Equality: Biases and Pay. Presented to ILR Labor and Employment Law Programs, State Commissions on the Status of Women. New York City, NY. 2014.
- National Policies and Entrepreneurship. Presented to LERA. Philadelphia PA. 2014.
- Varieties in a Shell of Likeness: The Bureaucratiation of the HR Function. Presented to Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia PA. 2013.
- Fostering entrepreneurial societiees: National labor market policies and self-employment. Presented to American Sociological Association. New York, NY. 2013.
- Presented to Harvard University. Cambridge. 2013.
- Presented to Univeresity of British Columbia/Cambridge University. Vancouver, BC Canada. 2013.
- From small groups to herds: Decision-making and institutional theory. Presented to Academy of Management. Boston MA. 2012.
- Institutions and entrepreneurship. Presented to Academy of Management. Boston MA. 2012.
- The impact of relative earnings on career satisfaction and family satisfaction. Presented to WFRN. New York City, NY. 2012.
- Effects of Non-Standard EEs on Standard EEs' Job Attitudes. Presented to ILR Porgram on Labor and Employment Law. New York City. 2012.
- Institutional theory and entrepreneurship: Studying choice and change. Montreal CAN. 2011.
- From small groups to herds: Institutional theory and organizational decision-making. Albany NY. 2011.
- The impact of relative earnings in dual-earner couples on career and family satisfaction. Gothenburg, Sweden. 2010.
- Certifying the Harvest. Presented to British Academy of Management. Lisbon, Portugal. 2010.
- From small groups to herds: Institutional theory and organizational decision-making. London England. 2010.
- From small groups to herds: Institutional theory and organizational decision-making. London England. 2010.
- Institutions and entrepreneurs: Studying choice and change. Presented to Imperial College, Cambridge University, LBS. London England. 2010.
- Friend or Foe? The Reactions of Standard Workers to Non-Standard Workers. Presented to University of Pennsylvania. 2010.
- Crescive standardization and its impact in the U.S. organic food industry. Presented to Academy of Management. Chicago IL. 2009.
- Macro-HR: Prospects and Possibilities for New Theory and Research. Presented to Academy of Management. Chicago IL. 2009.
- Non-traditional work arrangements and traditional workers. Presented to Academy of Management. Chicago ILR. 2009.
- The impact of earnings differences in dual-earner couples on career and family satisfaction. Presented to Academy of Management. Chicago IL. 2009.
- The impact of categorical status, numeric representation and work group prestige on preference for demographically similar others: A value threat approach. Montreal CAN. 2009.
Honors and Awards
- Lois S. Gray Chaired Professor of Industrial Relations and Social Sciences, Cornell University.
- Fellow, Judge School of Business, Cambridge University. 2010
- Distinguished Speaker, Academy of Management Association. 2009
- Distinguished Speaker, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. 2009
- Award of Excellence (Best Paper), Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. 2008
- Robert N. Stern Graduate Student Mentoring Award, ILR/Cornell. 2008
- Award of Excellence (Best Paper), Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. 2006
- Outstanding Professor, Cornell National Panhellenic Council. 1990
- Best Published Paper, American Sociological Association. 1987