People at ILR
Leslie ShawResearch Associate
Leslie Shaw joined the Yang-Tan Institute in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations in January, 2018. A quantitative psychologist, she has expertise in longitudinal analyses and structural equation modeling. Leslie also has experience with randomized control trials, program evaluation, data management, measure validation and norming, and secondary data analysis. While obtaining her Ph.D., she worked at the Beach Center on Disability and the KU Center on Developmental Disabilities on research related to self-determination, transition services, and support needs for youth and adults with intellectual disability. She is currently working on the NYS PROMISE (Promoting the Readiness of Minors in Supplemental Security Income) project and supports the Vocational Rehabilitation Youth Technical Assistance Centers (VR Y-TAC) project.
My teaching approach starts with the knowledge and skills I want my students to have gained when they walk out of the classroom at the end of the semester. To support the learning of germane topics, I address relevance and carefully consider how best to organize and present the material. Having taught both undergraduate and graduate students, I understand how relevance depends on who is in the classroom. Under-girding it all, I set and communicate expectations of classroom behavior and assignment completion so that students have opportunities to set goals and visualize a clear path to success.
Broadly, I am interested in longitudinal models in order to analyze change. Common models used in psychology are repeated measures analysis of variance, hierarchical linear model growth curves, latent growth curve models, panel models, latent change score models, and growth mixture models. These last four model types can be estimated with observed or latent variables in a structural equation modeling framework. Time series models of individuals or groups are more common in political science and econometrics but their popularity is growing in psychology as the cost of data collecting repeated measures can be greatly reduced with the use of mobile technology. I like determining which model to use to best answer the relevant research question and exploring the robustness of each model to misspecification.
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Tony Antosh, Michael L. Wehmeyer, Kathryn M. Burke, Sheida K. Raley. . Exploring the Relationships between Self-Determination, Basic Psychological Needs Satisfaction and Frustration, Agentic Engagement, and Motivation in Adolescents with Disabilities, Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders .
- Karrie A. Shogren, James R. Thompson, Leslie Shaw, Elizabeth M. Grandfield, Mayumi Hagiwara. 2018. Detecting changes in support needs over time, American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities . 123(4):315-328. (DOI:10.1352/1944-7558-123.4.315)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Michael L. Wehmeyer, Leslie Shaw, Meg Grigal, Debra Hart, Frank A. Smith, Sheida Khamsi. 2018. Predictors of self-determination in postsecondary education for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, Education andTraining in Autism and Developmental Disabilities . 53(2):146-159.
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Cristina Mumbardó-Adam. . The Assessment of Self-Determination in Spanish and American Adolescents Using the Self-Determination Inventory: Student Report, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities .
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Sheida K. Raley, Michael L. Wehmeyer. 2018. Exploring the effect of disability, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status on scores on the Self-Determination Inventory: Student Report, Exceptional Children . (DOI:10.1177/0014402918782150)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Kathryn M. Burke, Teri Antosh, Michael L. Wehmeyer, Teri LaPlante, Leslie Shaw, Sheida K. Raley. . Impact of the self-determined learning model of instruction on self-determination and goal attainment in adolescents with intellectual disability, Journal of Disability Policy Studies . 1-18. (DOI:doi.org/10.1177/104420731879217)
- Esmeralda Valdivieso-Mora, Ivanisevic Mirjana , Leslie Shaw, Zachary D. Green, Monica Salazar-Villanea, Jose Moncada-Jimenez, David K. Johnson, Mauricio Garnier-Villarreal. 2018. Health-related quality of life of older adults in Costa Rica as measured by the Short-Form-36 health survey (SF36), Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine . 4:1-13. (DOI:doi.org/10.1177/2333721418782)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Todd D. Little, Elizabeth Grandfield, Sheida Raley, Michael L. Wehmeyer, Kyle M. Lang, Leslie Shaw. 2018. The Self-Determination Inventory-Student Report: Confirming the factor structure of a new measure, Assessment for effective intervention . 11. (DOI:10.1177/153450841878816)
- Karrie Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Sheida K. Raley. . The impact of personal characteristics on scores on the Self-Determination Inventory: Student Report in adolescents with and without disabilities, Psychology in Schools .
- Karrie A. Shogren, Kathryn M. Burke, Mark Anderson, Anthony Antosh, Michael L. Wehmeyer, Terri LaPlante, Leslie Shaw. . Evaluating the differential impact of interventions to promote self-determination and goal attainment for transition-age youth with intellectual disability, Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities .
- Mayumi Hagiwara, Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw. . Examining the impact of respondent-level factors on scores on the Supports Intensity Scale – Children’s Version, American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities .
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Sheida Khamsi, Michael L. Wehmeyer, Ryan Niemiec, Megan Adkins. 2018. Assessing character strengths in youth with intellectual disability: Reliability and factorial validity of the VIA-Youth, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities . 56(1):13-29. (DOI:10.1352/1934-9556-56.1.13)
- Evan Dean, Winnie Dunn, Leslie Shaw. . Examining the reliability and the validity of the Sensory Profile 2, Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology .
- Anthony J. Plotner, Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Chelsea VanHorn Stinnett, Hyojeong Seo. 2017. Centers for independent living and secondary transition collaboration: Characteristics for enhanced service delivery for adolescents in the United States, Disability and Rehabilitation . 39(13):1287-1295. (DOI:10.1080/09638288.2016.1193904)
- Climent Giné, Ana L. Adam, Josep Font, Francesc Salvador-Bertran, Natasha Baqués, Cristina Oliveira, Cristina Mumbardó, Hyojeong Seo, Leslie Shaw, Karrie A. Shogren, James R. Thompson. 2017. Examining measurement invariance and differences in age cohorts on the Supports Intensity Scale – Children’s Version – Catalan translation, American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities . 122(6):511-524. (DOI:10.1352/1944-7558-122.6.511)
- Hyojeong Seo, Leslie Shaw, Karrie A. Shogren, Kyle Lang, Todd D. Little. 2017. The benefits of latent variable modeling to develop norms for a translated version of a standardized scale, International Journal of Behavioral Development . 41(6):743-750. (DOI:10.1177/0165025416671612)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Michael L. Wehmeyer, James R. Thompson, Kyle M. Lang, Marc J. Tassé, Robert L. Schalock. 2017. The support needs of children with intellectual disability and autism: Implications for supports planning and subgroup classification, Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders . 47(3):865-877. (DOI:10.1007/s10803-016-2995-y)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw. 2017. The impact of personal factors on self-determination and early-adulthood outcome constructs in youth with disabilities, Journal of Disability Policy Studies . 27(4):223-233. (DOI:10.1177/1044207316667732)
- Miguel A. Verdugo, Benito Arias, Veronica M. Guillén, Hyojeong Seo, Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, James R. Thompson. 2016. Examining age-related differences in support needs on the Supports Intensity Scale-Children's Version-Spanish translation, International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology . 16(3):306-314. (DOI:10.1016/j.ijchp.2016.06.002)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw, Todd D. Little. 2016. Measuring the early adulthood outcomes of young adults with disabilities: Developing constructs using NLTS2 data, Exceptionality . 24(1):45-61. (DOI:10.1080/09362835.2015.1064416)
- Karrie A. Shogren, Leslie Shaw. 2016. The Role of Autonomy, Self-Realization, and Psychological Empowerment in Predicting Outcomes for Youth With Disabilities, Remedial and Special Education . 37(1):55-62. (DOI:10.1177/0741932515585003)
- Community Policing Implementation Strategies: Predictors of organizational application & predictions of organizational performance. Presented to Midwest Political Science Association. Chicago, Illinois. 2018.
- Support needs, ASD diagnosis, and the Support Intensity Scale – Children’s Version. Presented to American Psychological Association. Denver, Colorado. 2016.
- Factors affecting retention in community maltreatment prevention research. Presented to Society for the Research in Child Development. Montreal, Quebec. 2011.
- Mental health and parenting factors among CPS reported children: Indicators of engagement with an in-home parenting program. Presented to International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. Baltimore, Maryland. 2007.