Lars VilhuberExecutive Director, Labor Dynamics Institute
Dr. Lars Vilhuber has an undergraduate degree in Economics from Universität Bonn, Germany, and a Ph.D. in Economics from Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada. He has worked in both research and government. He has consulted with government and statistical agencies in Canada and the United States.
His interest in statistical disclosure limitation issues is a consequence of his other research interest: working with highly detailed longitudinally linked data to analyze the effects and causes of mass layoffs, worker mobility, and the dynamics of the local labor market.
He is presently on the faculty of the Department of Economics at Cornell University, a Senior Research Associate at the ILR School at Cornell University, Ithaca, Executive Director of ILR’s Labor Dynamics Institute, and affiliated with the U.S. Census Bureau (Center for Economic Studies, CES).
Over the years, he has also gained extensive expertise on the data needs of economists and other social scientists, having been involved in the creation and maintenance of several data systems designed with analysis, publication, replicability, and maintenance of large-scale code bases in mind.
Dr. Vilhuber currently conducts research on using and making available highly detailed longitudinally linked data to analyze the effects and causes of mass layoffs, worker mobility, and the dynamics of (local) labor markets. These data are generally subject to severe access restrictions. In order to make such data available to other researchers, Dr. Vilhuber also conducts research on statistical disclosure limitation issues, including the creation and dissemination of synthetic data, and investigates novel methods and tools to disseminate metadata on such data. He is currently Principal Investigator on numerous grants, including grants that fund activities at the NSF-Census Research Network (NCRN) node at Cornell University. He is the lead Principal Investigator on the NCRN Coordinating Office.
- Lars Vilhuber, Jörg Drechsler. 2014. A first step towards a German SynLBD: Constructing a German Longitudinal Business Database, Statistical Journal of the IAOS . 30(2):137-142. (DOI:10.3233/SJI-140812)
- Lars Vilhuber, Jarmin Miranda. 2014. Looking back on three years of using the Synthetic LBD Beta , Statistical Journal of the IAOS . 30(2):123-127. (DOI:10.3233/SJI-140811)
- Carl Lagoze, William C Block, Jeremy Williams, John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2013. Data Management of Confidential Data, International Journal of Digital Curation . 8(1):265-278. (DOI:10.2218/ijdc.v8i1.259)
- John Abowd, Matthew J Schneider, Lars Vilhuber. 2013. Differential Privacy Applications to Bayesian and Linear Mixed Model Estimation, Journal of Privacy and Confidentiality . 5(1):Art. 4.
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber, William C Block. 2012. A Proposed Solution to the Archiving and Curation of Confidential Scientific Inputs, Privacy in Statistical Databases . LNCS 7556:216–225. (DOI:10.1007/978-3-642-33627-0_17)
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2012. Did the Housing Price Bubble Clobber Local Labor Markets When It Burst?, American Economic Review . 102(3):589-93. (DOI:10.1257/aer.102.3.589)
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd. 2011. Science, Confidentiality, and the Public Interest , Chance . 24(3):5.
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2011. National Estimates of Gross Employment and Job Flows from the Quarterly Workforce Indicators with Demographic and Industry Detail, Journal of Econometrics . 161:82-99.
- Lars Vilhuber, Julie Cloutier. 2008. Procedural justice criteria in salary determination, Journal of Managerial Psychology . 23(6). (DOI:10.1108/02683940810894765)
- John Abowd, Lars Vilhuber. 2005. The Sensitivity of Economic Statistics to Coding Errors in Personal Identifiers, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics . 23(2):133-152.
- Lars Vilhuber, Harry Holzer, Julia Lane. 2004. Escaping poverty for low-wage workers: The role of employer characteristics and changes, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 57(4):560-578. (DOI:10.2307/4126683)
- Lars Vilhuber, David N Margolis, Véronique Simonnet. 2001. Early Career Experiences and Later Career Outcomes: Comparing the United States, France and Germany, Quarterly Journal of Economic Research . 70(1):31-38.
- Lars Vilhuber. 2001. La spécificité de la formation en milieu de travail: un survol des contributions théoriques et empiriques récentes, L’Actualité économique, Revue d’analyse économique . 77(1).
- Lars Vilhuber. 1999. Continuous Training and Sectoral Mobility in Germany, Evidence from the 90s, Quarterly Journal of Economic Research . (2).
- Lars Vilhuber. 2009. Adjusting imperfect data: Overview and case studies. in Wage Structure, Raises and Mobility: International Comparisons of the Structure of Wages Within and Across Firms. University of Chicago Press, 2009. Edward P Lazear, Kathryn L Shaw.
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd, Fredrik Andersson, Kevin L McKinney, Marc Roemer, Bryce E Stephens, Simon Woodcock. 2009. The LEHD Infrastructure Files and the Creation of the Quarterly Workforce Indicators. in Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data. University of Chicago Press, 2009. Timothy Dunne, J Bradford Jensen, Mark J Roberts.
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd, Kevin L McKinney. 2009. The link between human capital, mass layoffs, and firm deaths. in Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data. University of Chicago Press, 2009. Timothy Dunne, J Bradford Jensen, Mark J Roberts.
- Lars Vilhuber, Lisa Dragoset. 2008. How Did Universal Primary Education Affect Returns to Education and Labor Market Participation in Uganda. in Youth in Africa’s Labor Market. Washington, DC, United States: World Bank, 2008. Marito Garcia, Jean Farès.
- Lars Vilhuber, David N Margolis, Erik Plug, Véronique Simonnet. 2004. Early Career Experiences and Later Career Outcomes: An International Comparison. in Human Capital Over The Life Cycle - A European Perspective. London, United Kingdom: Edward Elgar, 2004. Catherine Sofer. (90-117)
- Samuel Haney, Ashwin Machanavajjhala, John Abowd, Matthew Graham, Mark Kutzbach, Lars Vilhuber. 2017. Utility Cost of Formal Privacy for Releasing National Employer-Employee Statistics. SIGMOD 2017, 2017. (Accepted)
- Lars Vilhuber, Jörg Drechsler. 2014. Synthetic Longitudinal Business Databases for International Comparisons. in Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 2014. Domingo-Ferrer, Josep .
- Lars Vilhuber, Javier Miranda. 2014. Using Partially Synthetic Data to Replace Suppression in the Business Dynamics Statistics: Early Results. in Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 2014. Domingo-Ferrer, Josep .
- Lars Vilhuber, Carl Lagoze, Jeremy Williams. 2013. Encoding Provenance Metadata for Social Science Datasets. in Communications in Computer and Information Science. Berlin, Germany: Springer LNCS Proceedings, 2013. xx. (12)(Accepted)
- John Abowd, Kaj Gittings, Kevin L. McKinney, Bryce E. Stephens, Lars Vilhuber, Simon Woodcock. 2012. Dynamically Consistent Noise Infusion and Partially Synthetic Data As Confidentiality Protection Measures for Related Time-series. in 2012 Research Conference. Washington, DC, United States: Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, 2012. (40)
- Lars Vilhuber, Ashwin Machanavajjhala, Daniel Kifer, John Abowd, Johannes Gehrke. 2008. Privacy: Theory Meets Practice on the Map. International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), 2008.
- John Abowd, Ashwin Machanavajjhala, Daniel Kifer, Johannes Gehrke, Lars Vilhuber. 2008. Privacy: Theory Meets Practice on the Map. International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), 2008. (277-286)
- Lars Vilhuber, John Abowd. 2008. How Protective Are Synthetic Data. in Privacy in Statistical Databases: Proceedings of the UNESCO Chair in Data Privacy International Conference PSD2008. Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2008. (239-246)
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Lars Vilhuber
- Confidentiality Protection and Physical Safeguards: A Review. Presented to U.S. Census Bureau. Washington, DC. 2017.
- Disclosure Limitation and Confidentiality Protection in Linked Data. Presented to CIRANO and CIQSS. Montreal, Canada. 2016.
- Robustness of Employer List Linking to Methodological Variation. Presented to American Statistical Association . Chicago, IL. 2016.
- Two Perspectives on Commuting and Workplace: A Microdata Comparison of Home-to-Work Flows Across Linked Survey and Administrative Files. Presented to American Statistical Association . Chicago, IL. 2016.
- The NSF-Census Research Network in 2016: Taking stock, looking forward. Presented to Spatio-Temporal Statistics NSF-Census Research Network (STSN) at University of Missouri. Columbia, MO. 2016.
- Les données massives (big data), un outil supplémentaire pour une décision publique éclairée. Presented to Association des Économistes Québecois. Québec City, Canada. 2016.
- Crowdsourcing Codebook Development and Enhancements in CED²AR. Presented to NSF-Census Research Network. Washington, DC. 2016.
- Crowdsourcing et métadonnées : défis et perspectives. Presented to Data Liberation Initiative. Montreal, Canada. 2016.
- Quelques développements en cours aux USA et au Canada. Presented to Centre d'accès sécurisé distant. Paris, France. 2016.
- Synthetic Establishment Microdata. Presented to Statistics Canada. Ottawa, ON. 2016.
- Formal Privacy Protection for Data Products Combining Individual and Employer Frames. Presented to NSF-Census Research Network. Washington, DC. 2015.
- Total Variability Measures for Selected Quarterly Workforce Indicators and LEHD Origin Destination Employment Statistics in OnTheMap. Presented to Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology. Washington, DC. 2015.
- Synthetic Data Servers As Data Improvement and Access Mechanisms. Presented to Multiple. Istanbul, Turkey. 2015.
- Formal privacy protection for data products combining individual and employer frames1. Presented to UNECE. Helsinki, Finland. 2015.
- Using partially synthetic microdata to protect sensitive cells in business statistics. Presented to UNECE. Helsinki, Finland. 2015.
- Synthetic Longitudinal Business Databases for International Comparisons. Presented to UNESCO Chair in Data Privacy. Eivissa, Spain. 2014.
- A First Step Towards A German SynLBD: Constructing A German Longitudinal Business Database. Presented to UNESCO Chair in Data Privacy. Eivissa, Spain. 2014.
- Synthetic Longitudinal Business Databases for International Comparisons. Presented to American Statistical Association. Boston, MA. 2014.
- Measurement of Displacement Events and Their Consequences . Presented to American Statistical Association. Boston, MA. 2014.
- Measuring Firm-level Displacement Events With Administrative Data. Presented to Society of Labor Economists. Arlington, VA. 2014.
- Job Displacement in Jobless Recoveries. Presented to Society of Labor Economists. Arlington, VA. 2014.
- Looking back on three years of Synthetic LBD Beta. Presented to International Statistical Association. Hong Kong, China. 2013.
- Data Management of Confidential Data. Presented to ASA. Montreal. 2013.
- Research Report. Presented to NSF-Census Research Network. Durham, NC. 2013.
- Assessing the Natural Rate of Unemployment. Presented to Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. Boston, MA. 2013.
- Education, Flows and the Great Recession in the United States. Presented to Society of Labor Economists. Chicago, IL. 2012.
- Estimating the contribution of labor reallocation to productivity growth: a Canada-US comparison . Presented to Institute für Arbeit- und Berufsforschung and COST. Nürnberg, Germany. 2012.
- Data access in North America: Current state and future consequences . Presented to Data without Boundaries. Luxembourg. 2012.
- Testimony. Presented to U.S. House of Representatives: Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade. Washington, DC. 2012.
- Disclosure Avoidance Through Noise Infusion and Synthetic Data: The Case of the Quarterly Workforce Indicators. Presented to Federal Committe on Statistical Methodology. Washington, DC. 2012.
- Did the Housing Price Bubble Clobber Local Labor Market Job and Worker Flows When It Burst?. Presented to American Economic Association. Chicago, IL. 2012.
- The Cornell NCRN Node: Overview. Presented to U.S. Census Bureau, National Science Foundation. Washington, DC. 2011.
- World Markets and Local Markets: Using Integrated Employer-Employee Data for the United States to Study the Effects of Globalization on Local Labor Markets. Presented to International Statistical Institute. Dublin, Ireland. 2011.
- multiple. Presented to US Census Bureau and Cornell University. Ithaca, NY. 2011.
- National Estimates of Gross Employment and Job Flows from the Quarterly Workforce Indicators with Education Detail . Presented to Banco de Portugal. Porto, Portugal. 2011.
- Science, Confidentiality, and the Public Interest. Presented to Institut fur Arbeitsmarkt-und Berufsforschung (IAB). Nuremberg, Germany. 2011.
- The US Statistical System (in German). Presented to Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung. Nürnberg, Germany. 2011.
- : Formal Privacy Guarantees and Analytical Validity of OnTheMap Public-use Data. Presented to NSF, US Census, IRS, Cornell University. Washington, DC. 2010.
- National Estimates of Gross Employment and Job Flows from the Quarterly Workforce Indicators with Demographic and Industry Detail . Presented to Society of Labor Economics. London, UK. 2010.
- Measuring firm-level displacement events with administrative data . Presented to ZEW. Mannheim, Germany. 2010.
- Benefits of Providing Coordinated Access to Cornell University Synthetic Data and the Underlying Confidential Microdata. Presented to ICPSR. Ann Arbor, MI. 2010.
- LED Operations. Presented to LEHD, U.S. Census Bureau. Arlington, VA. 2010.
- Social Science Gateway. Presented to CISER. Ithaca, NY. 2009.
- Using linked employer‐employee data to investigate the speed of adjustment in downsizing firms in Canada and the US. Presented to CISER. Ithaca, NY. 2009.
- The Contribution of Labor Reallocation to Aggregate Productivity Growth: Evidence from Canada, France and the United States . Tokyo. 2009.
- Using linked employer-employee data to investigate the speed of adjustment in downsizing firms in Canada and the US. Presented to Canadian Economics Association. Toronto, Canada. 2009.
- Older Workers’ Geographic Mobility and Retirement . Presented to Society of Labor Economics. Boston, MA. 2009.
- LED Enhancements . Presented to LEHD, US Census Bureau. Washington, DC. 2009.