People at ILR
Kati (Kate) GriffithAssociate Professor of Labor and Employment Law
Stephen H. Weiss Junior Fellow
Chair, Department of Labor Relations, Law, & History
Professor Griffith is Associate Professor of Labor & Employment Law and Chair of the Labor Relations, Law, & History Department at Cornell's ILR School. She is also an Associate Member of the Cornell Law Faculty. A Research Fellow affiliated with NYU’s Center for Labor & Employment Law, Griffith's scholarship focuses primarily on the intersection of immigration and workplace law at the subfederal, federal and international levels. She is a co-author (along with Michael Harper and Samuel Estreicher) of the textbook Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems, 8th Edition (Walters Kluwer). She teaches courses on labor & employment law, immigration law and legal issues affecting low-wage workforces. She has twice received Cornell ILR MacIntyre Awards for Exemplary Teaching and has twice been selected as the Most Influential Faculty Member by Merrill Presidential Scholars. In 2018, Griffith was named a Stephen H. Weiss Junior Fellow, Cornell's highest teaching award for Associate Professors.
Griffith joined Cornell’s ILR faculty in the Fall of 2007 after completing a Skadden Fellowship as a Staff Attorney at the Workers’ Rights Law Center of New York, Inc. in New York’s Hudson Valley. Prior to the Skadden Fellowship, Griffith served as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Rosemary S. Pooler in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She is a cum laude graduate of NYU School of Law, where she was a Root Tilden Public Interest Scholar, received the Sol D. Kapelsohn Prize for highest excellence in writing in the field of labor law and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the N.Y.U. Review of Law and Social Change. Before earning her J.D. from NYU, Griffith conducted research on women workers and labor law in Mexico as a Rotary Scholar and in El Salvador as a Fulbright Scholar.
- Kati Griffith, Leslie Gates. 2019. Worker Centers: Labor Policy as a Carrot, Not a Stick, Harvard Law & Policy Review . 14
- Kati Griffith. 2019. An Empirical Study of Fast Food Franchising Contracts: Towards a New “Intermediary” Theory of Joint Employment, Washington Law Review . 94(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2019. The Fair Labor Standards Act at 80: Everything Old is New Again, Cornell Law Review . 104
- Maria Cook, Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith, Lawrence Kahn. . Introduction to a Special Issue on the Impact of Immigrant Legalization Initiatives: International Perspectives on Immigration and the World of Work, Industrial and Labor Relations Review .
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson, . 2017. The Precarity of Temporality: How Law Inhibits Immigrant Worker Claims, Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 39(1):111-142.
- Kati Griffith. 2017. The Power of A Presumption: California as a Laboratory for Unauthorized Immigrant Workers' Rights, UC Davis Law Review . 50(3).
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Worker Centers and Labor Law Protections: Why Aren’t They Having Their Cake?, Berkeley Journal of Labor & Employment Law . 36(331).
- Kati Griffith. 2014. When Federal Immigration Exclusion Meets Subfederal Workplace Inclusion: A 'Forensic' Approach to Legislative History, NYU Journal of Legislation and Public Policy . 17(881).
- Kati Griffith, Lee Tamara, . 2012. Immigration Advocacy as Labor Advocacy, Berkeley Journal of Employment & Labor Law . 33:73.
- Kati Griffith. 2012. Undocumented Workers: Crossing the Borders of Immigration and Workplace Law, Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy . 21:611.
- Kati Griffith. 2011. ICE Was Not Meant To Be Cold: The Case For Civil Rights Monitoring of Immigration Enforcement at the Workplace, Arizona Law Review . 53(1137).
- Kati Griffith. 2011. Discovering “Immployment” Law: The Constitutionality of Local Immigration Regulation at Work , Yale Law & Policy Review . 29(389).
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "The NLRA's Defamation Defense: Doomed Dinosaur or Diamond in the Rough?", American University Law Review . 59:1.
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "U.S. Migrant Worker Law: The Interstices of Immigration Law and Labor & Employment Law", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 31:125.
- Kati Griffith. 2008. "Globalizing U.S. Employment Statutes Through Foreign Law Influence: Mexico's Foreign Employer Provision and Recruited Mexican Workers", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 29:383-425.
- Kati Griffith. 2008. A Supreme Stretch: The Supremacy Clause in the Wake of IRCA and Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Cornell International Law Journal . 41:115.
- Janice Fine, Linda Burnham, Kati Griffith, Minsun Ji, Victor Narro, Steven Pitts. 2018. No One Size Fits All: Worker Organization, Policy and Movement for a New Economic Age (edited volume). LERA Research Volume Series, distributed by Cornell Press, 2018.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). Aspen, 2015.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Selected Statutes, Forms and Agreements (8th Edition). in Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). Aspen, 2015.
- Leslie C. Gates, Kati Griffith, Jonathan Kim, Zane Mokhiber, Joseph Bazler, Austin Case, . 2018. Sizing Up Worker-Center Income (2008-2014): A Study of Revenue Size, Stability and Streams. in No One Size Fits All: Worker Organization, Policy and Movement for a New Economic Age . LERA Research Volume Series, distributed by Cornell Press, 2018.
- Kati Griffith. 2016. Introduction: Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?. in Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?: Proceedings of the NYU 68th Annual Conference on Labor. LexisNexis, 2016.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Cross-border Labor law. in Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law and Immigration. 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2014. Laborers or Criminals?: The Impact of Crimmigration on Labor Standards Enforcement. in The Criminalization of Immigration: Contexts and Consequences. Carolina Academic Press, 2014.
- Kati Griffith. 2016. Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?: Proceedings of the NYU 68th Annual Conference on Labor. LexisNexis, 2016.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Kati Griffith