People at ILR
Kati GriffithAssociate Professor of Labor and Employment Law
Chair, Department of Labor Relations, Law, & History
Professor Griffith is Associate Professor of Labor & Employment Law and Chair of the Labor Relations, Law, & History Department at Cornell's ILR School. She is also an Associate Member of the Cornell Law Faculty. A Research Fellow affiliated with NYU’s Center for Labor & Employment Law, Griffith's scholarship focuses primarily on the intersection of immigration and workplace law at the subfederal, federal and international levels. She is a co-author (along with Michael Harper and Samuel Estreicher) of the textbook Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems, 8th Edition (Walters Kluwer). She teaches courses on labor & employment law, immigration law and legal issues affecting low-wage workforces. She has twice received Cornell ILR MacIntyre Awards for Exemplary Teaching and has twice received Merrill Presidential Scholars Mentorship Awards. In 2018, Griffith was named a Stephen H. Weiss Junior Fellow, Cornell's highest teaching award for Associate Professors.
Griffith joined Cornell’s ILR faculty in the Fall of 2007 after completing a Skadden Fellowship as a Staff Attorney at the Workers’ Rights Law Center of New York, Inc. in New York’s Hudson Valley. Prior to the Skadden Fellowship, Griffith served as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Rosemary S. Pooler in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She is a cum laude graduate of NYU School of Law, where she was a Root Tilden Public Interest Scholar, received the Sol D. Kapelsohn Prize for highest excellence in writing in the field of labor law and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the N.Y.U. Review of Law and Social Change. Before earning her J.D. from NYU, Griffith conducted research on women workers and labor law in Mexico as a Rotary Scholar and in El Salvador as a Fulbright Scholar.
- Kati Griffith. 2019. An Empirical Study of Fast Food Franchising Contracts: Towards a New “Intermediary” Theory of Joint Employment, Washington Law Review . 94(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2019. The Fair Labor Standards Act at 80: Everything Old is New Again, Cornell Law Review . 104
- Maria Cook, Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith, Lawrence Kahn. . Introduction to a Special Issue on the Impact of Immigrant Legalization Initiatives: International Perspectives on Immigration and the World of Work, Industrial and Labor Relations Review .
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson, . 2017. The Precarity of Temporality: How Law Inhibits Immigrant Worker Claims, Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 39(1):111-142.
- Kati Griffith. 2017. The Power of A Presumption: California as a Laboratory for Unauthorized Immigrant Workers' Rights, UC Davis Law Review . 50(3).
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Worker Centers and Labor Law Protections: Why Aren’t They Having Their Cake?, Berkeley Journal of Labor & Employment Law . 36(331).
- Kati Griffith. 2014. When Federal Immigration Exclusion Meets Subfederal Workplace Inclusion: A 'Forensic' Approach to Legislative History, NYU Journal of Legislation and Public Policy . 17(881).
- Kati Griffith, Lee Tamara, . 2012. Immigration Advocacy as Labor Advocacy, Berkeley Journal of Employment & Labor Law . 33:73.
- Kati Griffith. 2012. Undocumented Workers: Crossing the Borders of Immigration and Workplace Law, Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy . 21:611.
- Kati Griffith. 2011. ICE Was Not Meant To Be Cold: The Case For Civil Rights Monitoring of Immigration Enforcement at the Workplace, Arizona Law Review . 53(1137).
- Kati Griffith. 2011. Discovering “Immployment” Law: The Constitutionality of Local Immigration Regulation at Work , Yale Law & Policy Review . 29(389).
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "The NLRA's Defamation Defense: Doomed Dinosaur or Diamond in the Rough?", American University Law Review . 59:1.
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "U.S. Migrant Worker Law: The Interstices of Immigration Law and Labor & Employment Law", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 31:125.
- Kati Griffith. 2008. "Globalizing U.S. Employment Statutes Through Foreign Law Influence: Mexico's Foreign Employer Provision and Recruited Mexican Workers", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 29:383-425.
- Kati Griffith. 2008. A Supreme Stretch: The Supremacy Clause in the Wake of IRCA and Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Cornell International Law Journal . 41:115.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). 2015.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Selected Statutes, Forms and Agreements (8th Edition). 2015.
- Leslie C. Gates, Kati Griffith, Jonathan Kim, Zane Mokhiber, Joseph Bazler, Austin Case, . . Sizing Up Worker Center Income (2008-2014): A Study of Revenue Size, Stability and Streams. in NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL: WORKER ORGANIZATION, POLICY AND MOVEMENT FOR A NEW ECONOMIC AGE . (Accepted)
- Kati Griffith. 2016. Introduction: Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?. 2016.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Cross-border Labor law. 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law and Immigration. 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2014. Laborers or Criminals?: The Impact of Crimmigration on Labor Standards Enforcement. Carolina Academic Press, 2014.