Kati (Kate) GriffithJean McKelvey-Alice Grant Professor
Stephen H. Weiss Junior Fellow
Griffith is the Jean McKelvey-Alice Grant Professor of the Labor Relations, Law, & History Department at Cornell's ILR School. She is also an associate member of the Cornell Law Faculty. A Research Fellow affiliated with NYU’s Center for Labor & Employment Law, Griffith's scholarship focuses primarily on the intersection of immigration and workplace law and legal issues affecting low-wage workers. She is a co-author (along with Harper and Estreicher) of the textbook Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (Walters Kluwer). She has published in the California Law Review, the Cornell Law Review, and the Law & Social Inquiry Journal, among others. She has received Cornell ILR MacIntyre Awards for Exemplary Teaching (2010 & 2015), a Robert Stern Award for Teaching and Mentoring (2019) and has been selected three times as the Most Influential Faculty Member by Merrill Presidential Scholars. In 2018, Griffith was named a Stephen H. Weiss Junior Fellow, Cornell's highest teaching award for Associate Professors.
Griffith joined Cornell in the Fall of 2007 after completing a Skadden Fellowship as a Staff Attorney at the Workers’ Rights Law Center of New York, Inc. in New York’s Hudson Valley. Prior to the Skadden Fellowship, Griffith served as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Rosemary S. Pooler in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She is a cum laude graduate of NYU School of Law, where she was a Root Tilden Public Interest Scholar, received the Sol D. Kapelsohn Prize for highest excellence in writing in the field of labor law and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the N.Y.U. Review of Law and Social Change. Before earning her J.D. from NYU, Griffith conducted research on women workers and labor law in Mexico as a Rotary Scholar and in El Salvador as a Fulbright Scholar.
- Andrew Elmore, Kati Griffith. . Franchisor Power as Employment Control, California Law Review . 109
- Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith. 2020. Employers as Subjects of the Immigration State: How the State Foments Employment Insecurity for Temporary Immigrant Workers, Law & Social Inquiry . 46(1):92-115. (DOI:10.1017/lsi.2020.17)
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson, Vivian Vázquez. 2020. Immigrants in Shifting Times on Long Island, NY: The Stakes of Losing Temporary Status, Denver Law Review . 97(4):743-759.
- Kati Griffith, Leslie Gates. 2020. Milking Outdated Laws: Alt-labor as a Litigation Catalyst, Chicago-Kent Law Review . 95(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2019. The Fair Labor Standards Act at 80: Everything Old is New Again, Cornell Law Review . 104(3).
- Kati Griffith, Leslie Gates. 2019. Worker Centers: Labor Policy as a Carrot, Not a Stick, Harvard Law & Policy Review . 14(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2019. An Empirical Study of Fast Food Franchising Contracts: Towards a New “Intermediary” Theory of Joint Employment, Washington Law Review . 94(1).
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson. 2019. Trumps 'Immployment' Law Agenda: Intensifying Employment-based Enforcement and Un-authorizing the Authorized, Southwestern Law Review . 48(3).
- Maria Cook, Shannon M Gleeson, Kati Griffith, Lawrence Kahn. 2018. Introduction to a Special Issue on the Impact of Immigrant Legalization Initiatives: International Perspectives on Immigration and the World of Work, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 71(4):807-822.
- Kati Griffith, Shannon M Gleeson. 2017. The Precarity of Temporality: How Law Inhibits Immigrant Worker Claims, Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 39(1):111-142.
- Kati Griffith. 2017. The Power of A Presumption: California as a Laboratory for Unauthorized Immigrant Workers' Rights, UC Davis Law Review . 50(3).
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Worker Centers and Labor Law Protections: Why Aren’t They Having Their Cake?, Berkeley Journal of Labor & Employment Law . 36(2).
- Kati Griffith. 2014. When Federal Immigration Exclusion Meets Subfederal Workplace Inclusion: A 'Forensic' Approach to Legislative History, NYU Journal of Legislation and Public Policy . 17(4).
- Kati Griffith, Lee Tamara. 2012. Immigration Advocacy as Labor Advocacy, Berkeley Journal of Employment & Labor Law . 33(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2012. Undocumented Workers: Crossing the Borders of Immigration and Workplace Law, Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy . 21(3).
- Kati Griffith. 2011. ICE Was Not Meant To Be Cold: The Case For Civil Rights Monitoring of Immigration Enforcement at the Workplace, Arizona Law Review . 53(4).
- Kati Griffith. 2011. Discovering “Immployment” Law: The Constitutionality of Local Immigration Regulation at Work , Yale Law & Policy Review . 29(2).
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "The NLRA's Defamation Defense: Doomed Dinosaur or Diamond in the Rough?", American University Law Review . 59:1.
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "U.S. Migrant Worker Law: The Interstices of Immigration Law and Labor & Employment Law", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 31(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2008. "Globalizing U.S. Employment Statutes Through Foreign Law Influence: Mexico's Foreign Employer Provision and Recruited Mexican Workers", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 29(4).
- Kati Griffith. 2008. A Supreme Stretch: The Supremacy Clause in the Wake of IRCA and Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Cornell International Law Journal . 41(1).
- Kati Griffith. 2016. Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?: Proceedings of the NYU 68th Annual Conference on Labor. LexisNexis, 2016.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). Aspen, 2015.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Selected Statutes, Forms and Agreements (8th Edition). in Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). Aspen, 2015.
- Janice Fine, Linda Burnham, Kati Griffith, Minsun Ji, Victor Narro, Steven Pitts. 2018. Introduction to No One Size Fits All: Worker Organization, Policy and Movement for a New Economic Age (edited volume). LERA Research Volume Series, distributed by Cornell Press, 2018.
- Leslie C. Gates, Kati Griffith, Jonathan Kim, Zane Mokhiber, Joseph Bazler, Austin Case, . 2018. Sizing Up Worker-Center Income (2008-2014): A Study of Revenue Size, Stability and Streams. in No One Size Fits All: Worker Organization, Policy and Movement for a New Economic Age . LERA Research Volume Series, distributed by Cornell Press, 2018.
- Kati Griffith. 2016. Introduction: Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?. in Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?: Proceedings of the NYU 68th Annual Conference on Labor. LexisNexis, 2016.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Cross-border Labor law. in Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law and Immigration. 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2014. Laborers or Criminals?: The Impact of Crimmigration on Labor Standards Enforcement. in The Criminalization of Immigration: Contexts and Consequences. Carolina Academic Press, 2014.