JR KellerAssociate Professor
JR Keller is an Associate Professor of Human Resource Studies in the ILR School at Cornell University. His research focuses on understanding how firms make hiring decisions and individual make career choices, with a particular interest in how the dynamics shape how employees change jobs within firms.
His work has appeared in several leading academic and practitioner outlets, including Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Harvard Business Review, Industrial & Labor Relations Review, People & Strategy and Organization Science.
Prior to pursuing a Ph.D., JR had two careers – the first as a financial analyst and the second as a career consultant. JR earned his Ph.D. in Management from the Wharton School of Business and holds a Masters in Adult Education from Indiana University and undergraduate degrees in Finance and Computer Applications from the University of Notre Dame.
- Rebecca Kehoe, Rhett Brymer, Joseph (JR) H. Keller, Joonyoung Kim. . Hiring by professional affiliation: The benefits and challenges of leveraging prospective hires’ prior employment ties to improve matching and access to resources, Personnel Psychology . In press
- John E. McCarthy, JR Keller. 2021. How managerial openness to voice shapes internal attraction: Evidence from US school systems, Industrial and Labor Relations Review .
- Joseph (JR) H. Keller, Rebecca R. Kehoe, Matthew Bidwell, David Collings, Adam Myer. 2021. In with the old? Examining when boomerang employees outperform new hires, Academy of Management Journal . 64:1648-1653.
- JR Keller, J. Adam Cobb, Samir Nurmohamed. . How do I compare? The effect of work-unit demographics on reactions to pay inequality, Industrial and Labor Relations Review .
- Dlugos Kathryn, JR Keller. 2021. Turned down and taking off? Rejection and turnover in internal talent markets, Academy of Management Journal .
- JR Keller. 2018. Posting and slotting: How hiring processes shape quality of hire and compensation in internal labor markets, Administrative Science Quarterly . 64(4):848-878. (DOI:10.1177/0001839217736045)
- Matthew Bidwell, JR Keller. 2014. Within or without? How firms combine internal and external labor markets to fill jobs, Academy of Management Journal . 57(5):1035-1055. (DOI:10.5465/amj.2012.0119)
- Peter Cappelli, JR Keller. 2014. Talent management: Conceptual approaches and practical challenges, Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior . 1:305-331. (DOI:10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-031413-091314)
- Peter Cappelli, JR Keller. 2013. Classifying work in the new economy, Academy of Management Review . 38(4):575-596. (DOI:10.5465/amr.2011.0302)
- Peter Cappelli, JR Keller. 2013. A study of the extent and potential causes of alternative employment arrangements. , Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 66(4):874-901. (DOI:10.1177/001979391306600406)
- Peter Cappelli, JR Keller. 2016. The historical context of talent management. in The Oxford Handbook of Talent Management. New York, NY, United States: Oxford University Press, 2016. David Collings, Kamel Mellahi, Wayne F. Cascio.
- JR Keller, Peter Cappelli. 2014. A supply chain approach to talent management. in Strategic Talent Management: Contemporary Issue in an International Context. Oxford, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 2014. Paul Sparrow, Hugh Scullion, Ibraiz Tarique. (117-150)
- JR Keller, Peter Cappelli. 2013. Employment relationships. in Sociology of Work: An Encyclopedia. Thousand Oaks, CA, United States: Sage Publications, 2013. Vicki Smith.
- JR Keller. 2019. Book review: High tech and high touch: Headhunting, technology, and economic transformation. Administrative Sciience Quarterly, 2019. (NP36-NP37)
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Scholarly Impact Award, Academy of Management HR Division. 2019
- Best Conference Paper - Strategic Human Capital Interest Group, Strategic Management Society. 2018
- MacIntyre Award for Exemplary Teaching, ILR School, Cornell University. 2018
- Merrill Presidential Scholar Most Influential Professor (student selected), Cornell University. 2017
- Best Conference PhD Paper, SMS Annual Conference. 2014