JR KellerAssistant Professor
JR Keller is an Assistant Professor of Human Resource Studies in the ILR School at Cornell University. His research focuses on how firms combine internal and external hiring to meet their human capital needs as well the various ways in individuals build careers within and across organizations. He has explored the factors which lead firms to hire externally versus promote from within, supply chain approaches to talent management, the use of nonstandard work arrangements and talent management more generally. His work has appeared in the Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Industrial & Labor Relations Review, Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, as well as a recent book on strategic talent management.
Prior to pursing a Ph.D., JR had two careers – the first as a financial analyst and the second as a career consultant. JR earned his Ph.D. in Management from the Wharton School of Business and holds a Masters in Adult Education from Indiana University and undergraduate degrees in Finance and Computer Applications from the University of Notre Dame.
- JR H. Keller, J. Adam Cobb, Samir Nurmohamed. . How do I compare? The effect of work-unit demographics on reactions to pay inequality, Industrial and Labor Relations Review .
- John E. McCarthy, JR H. Keller. . How managerial openness to voice shapes internal attraction: Evidence from US school systems, Industrial and Labor Relations Review .
- JR H. Keller, Rebecca Kehoe, Matthew Bidwell, David Collings, Adam Myer. . In with the old? Examining when boomerang employees outperform new hires, Academy of Management Journal .
- Dlugos Kathryn, JR H. Keller. 2021. Turned down and taking off? Rejection and turnover in internal talent markets, Academy of Management Journal .
- JR H. Keller. 2018. Posting and slotting: How hiring processes shape quality of hire and compensation in internal labor markets, Administrative Science Quarterly . 64(4):848-878. (DOI:10.1177/0001839217736045)
- Matthew J Bidwell, JR H. Keller. 2014. Within or without? How firms combine internal and external labor markets to fill jobs, Academy of Management Journal . 57(5):1035-1055. (DOI:10.5465/amj.2012.0119)
- Peter Cappelli, JR H. Keller. 2014. Talent management: Conceptual approaches and practical challenges, Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior . 1:305-331. (DOI:10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-031413-091314)
- Peter Cappelli, JR H. Keller. 2013. Classifying work in the new economy, Academy of Management Review . 38(4):575-596. (DOI:10.5465/amr.2011.0302)
- Peter Cappelli, JR H. Keller. 2013. A study of the extent and potential causes of alternative employment arrangements. , Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 66(4):874-901. (DOI:10.1177/001979391306600406)
- Peter Cappelli, JR H. Keller. 2016. The historical context of talent management. in The Oxford Handbook of Talent Management. New York, NY, United States: Oxford University Press, 2016. David Collings, Kamel Mellahi, Wayne F. Cascio. (Accepted)
- JR H. Keller, Peter Cappelli. 2014. A supply chain approach to talent management. in Strategic Talent Management: Contemporary Issue in an International Context. Oxford, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 2014. Paul Sparrow, Hugh Scullion, Ibraiz Tarique. (117-150)
- JR H. Keller, Peter Cappelli. 2013. Employment relationships. in Sociology of Work: An Encyclopedia. Thousand Oaks, CA, United States: Sage Publications, 2013. Vicki Smith.
- JR H. Keller. 2019. Book review: High tech and high touch: Headhunting, technology, and economic transformation. Administrative Sciience Quarterly, 2019. (NP36-NP37)
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Scholarly Impact Award, Academy of Management HR Division. 2019
- Best Conference Paper - Strategic Human Capital Interest Group, Strategic Management Society. 2018
- MacIntyre Award for Exemplary Teaching, ILR School, Cornell University. 2018
- Merrill Presidential Scholar Most Influential Professor (student selected), Cornell University. 2017
- Best Conference PhD Paper, SMS Annual Conference. 2014