John HausknechtProfessor, Human Resource Studies
John Hausknecht is professor of human resource studies at Cornell University’s ILR School. Professor Hausknecht’s teaching, research, and consulting focuses on HR analytics and staffing-related topics including employee selection and turnover. He has written extensively on the causes and consequences of employee turnover and its implications for organizational performance, often drawing from large-scale, longitudinal field studies conducted with industry partners. His research has been published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, Organization Science, and the Academy of Management Journal. Professor Hausknecht recently served as the academic director for Cornell’s ILR Executive Education and currently leads the HR analytics working group series for Cornell’s Center for Advanced HR Studies. He received his Ph.D. from Penn State University with a major in industrial/organizational psychology and a minor in management.
- Huisi Li, John Hausknecht, Lisa Dragoni. 2020. Initial and longer-term change in unit-level turnover following leader succession: Contingent effects of outgoing and incoming leader characteristics, Organization Science . 31(2):458-476. (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2019.1295)
- John Hausknecht. 2017. Collective Turnover, Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior . 4:527-544. (DOI:10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-032516-113139)
- Peter Hom, Thomas Lee, Jason Shaw, John Hausknecht. 2017. One hundred years of employee turnover theory and research, Journal of Applied Psychology . 120(3):530-545. (DOI:10.1037/apl0000103)
- Angela Langevin-Heavey, Jacob A. Holwerda, John Hausknecht. 2013. Causes and Consequences of Collective Turnover: A Meta-Analytic Review, Journal of Applied Psychology . 98:412-453. (DOI:10.1037/a0032380)
- John Hausknecht, Jacob A, Holwerda. 2013. When Does Employee Turnover Matter? Dynamic Member Configurations, Productive Capacity, and Collective Performance, Organization Science . 24(1):210-225. (DOI:10.1287/orsc.1110.0720)
- John Hausknecht, Michael Sturman, Quinetta Roberson. 2011. Justice as a dynamic construct: Effects of individual trajectories on distal work outcomes, Journal of Applied Psychology . 96(4):872-880. (DOI:10.1037/a0022991)
- John Hausknecht, Charlie O. Trevor. 2011. Collective turnover at the group, unit, and organizational levels: Evidence, issues, and implications, Journal of Management . 37(1):352-388. (DOI:10.1177/0149206310383910)
- John Hausknecht. 2010. Candidate persistence and personality test practice effects: Implications for staffing system management, Personnel Psychology . 63:299-324. (DOI:10.1111/j.1744-6570.2010.01171.x)
- John Hausknecht, Charlie O. Trevor, Michael J. Howard. 2009. Unit-level turnover rates and customer service quality: Implications of group cohesiveness, newcomer concentration, and size, Journal of Applied Psychology . 94(4):1068-1075. (DOI:10.1037/a0015898)
- John Hausknecht, Julianne M. Rodda, Michael J. Howard. 2009. Targeted employee retention: Performance-based and job-related differences in reported reasons for staying, Human Resource Management . 48(2):269-288. (DOI:10.1002/hrm.20279)
- John Hausknecht, Nathan J. Hiller, Robert J. Vance. 2008. Work unit absenteeism: Effects of satisfaction, commitment, labor market conditions, and time, Academy of Management Journal . 51(6):1223-1245. (DOI:10.5465/amj.2008.35733022)
- John Hausknecht, Jane A. Halpert, Nicole T. Di Paolo, Meghan O. Moriarty Gerrard. 2007. Retesting in selection: A meta-analysis of coaching and practice effects for tests of cognitive ability, Journal of Applied Psychology . 92(2):373-385. (DOI:10.1037/0021-9010.92.2.373)
- John Hausknecht, David V. Day, Scott C. Thomas. 2004. Applicant reactions to selection procedures: An updated model and meta-analysis, Personnel Psychology . 57(3):639-683. (DOI:10.1111/j.1744-6570.2004.00003.x)
- John Hausknecht, Charlie O. Trevor, James L. Farr. 2002. Retaking ability tests in a selection setting: Implications for practice effects, training performance, and turnover, Journal of Applied Psychology . 87(2):243-254. (DOI:10.1037/0021-9010.87.2.243)
- John Hausknecht. 2019. Keeping strategic human capital resources: Mobility. in Handbook of Research on Strategic Human Capital Resources. Edward Elgar, 2019. A.J. Nyberg & T.P. Moliterno. (447-457)
- John Hausknecht. 2018. Talent and Turnover. in Oxford Handbook of Talent Management. 2018. David G Collings, Kamel Mellahi, and Wayne F. Cascio.
- John Hausknecht, Angela M. Langevin. 2017. Selecting employees for service and sales jobs. in Handbook of Employee Selection. New York, NY, United States: Psychology Press, 2017. James L. Farr and Nancy Tippins. (Accepted)
- John Hausknecht, Huisi Li. 2016. Big data applications to employee turnover and retention. in Big Data at Work: The Data Science Revolution and Organizational Psychology. Routledge/Taylor-Francis, 2016. Scott Tonidandel, Eden King, & Jose Cortina.
- John Hausknecht, Angela M. Langevin. 2010. Selecting employees for service and sales jobs. in Handbook of Employee Selection. New York, NY, United States: Psychology Press, 2010. James L. Farr and Nancy Tippins.
- John Hausknecht. 2007. Withdrawal behaviors: Turnover. in Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Thousand Oaks CA, United States: Sage Publications, 2007. S G Rogelberg, C Reeve.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of John Hausknecht