John HausknechtAssociate Professor, Human Resource Studies
John Hausknecht is an associate professor of human resource studies at Cornell University. He earned his Ph.D. in 2003 from Penn State University with a major in industrial/organizational psychology and minor in management. He received the 2004 S. Rains Wallace Award for the best dissertation in the field of industrial/organizational psychology. Professor Hausknecht's research primarily falls within the domain of staffing and has appeared in the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Personnel Psychology. Recent papers have examined applicant persistence in selection settings, reactions to company hiring practices, and predictors and consequences of collective-level absenteeism and turnover. He currently serves on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Personnel Psychology.
Professor Hausknecht teaches undergraduate and graduate-level courses on human resource management, staffing organizations, and HR analytics. He received the ILR School's MacIntyre award for exemplary teaching in 2008. Prior to academia, he worked as a consultant to Fortune 500 firms in the areas of leadership assessment, talent management, and organizational change. Professor Hausknecht is a member of the Academy of Management, American Psychological Association, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, and Society for Human Resource Management.
- John Hausknecht, Peter Hom, Thomas Lee, Jason Shaw. 2017. One hundred years of employee turnover theory and research, Journal of Applied Psychology .
- Angela Langevin-Heavey, Jacob A. Holwerda, John Hausknecht. 2013. Causes and Consequences of Collective Turnover: A Meta-Analytic Review, Journal of Applied Psychology . 98:412-453.
- John Hausknecht, Jacob A, Holwerda. 2013. When Does Employee Turnover Matter? Dynamic Member Configurations, Productive Capacity, and Collective Performance, Organization Science . 24(1):210-225. (DOI:10.1287/orsc.1110.0720)
- John Hausknecht, Quinetta Roberson. 2011. Justice as a dynamic construct: Effects of individual trajectories on distal work outcomes, Journal of Applied Psychology . 96(4):872-880.
- John Hausknecht, Charlie O. Trevor. 2011. Collective turnover at the group, unit, and organizational levels: Evidence, issues, and implications, Journal of Management . 37(1):352-388.
- John Hausknecht. 2010. Candidate persistence and personality test practice effects: Implications for staffing system management, Personnel Psychology . 63:299-324.
- John Hausknecht, Charlie O. Trevor, Michael J. Howard. 2009. Unit-level turnover rates and customer service quality: Implications of group cohesiveness, newcomer concentration, and size, Journal of Applied Psychology . 94(4):1068-1075.
- John Hausknecht, Julianne M. Rodda, Michael J. Howard. 2009. Targeted employee retention: Performance-based and job-related differences in reported reasons for staying, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 48(2):269-288.
- John Hausknecht, Nathan J. Hiller, Robert J. Vance. 2008. Work unit absenteeism: Effects of satisfaction, commitment, labor market conditions, and time, Academy of Management Journal . 51(6):1223-1245.
- John Hausknecht, John P Halpert, Nicole T Di Paolo, Meghan O Moriarty Gerrard. 2007. Retesting in selection: A meta-analysis of coaching and practice effects for tests of cognitive ability, Journal of Applied Psychology . 92(2):373-385.
- John Hausknecht, David V Day, Scott C Thomas. 2004. Applicant reactions to selection procedures: An updated model and meta-analysis, Personnel Psychology . 57(3):639-683.
- John Hausknecht, C O Trevor, J L Farr. 2002. Retaking ability tests in a selection setting: Implications for practice effects, training performance, and turnover, Journal of Applied Psychology . 87(2):243-254.
- John Hausknecht, Angela M. Langevin. 2017. Selecting employees for service and sales jobs. in Handbook of Employee Selection. New York, NY, United States: Psychology Press, 2017. James L. Farr and Nancy Tippins. (Accepted)
- John Hausknecht, Angela M. Langevin. 2010. Selecting employees for service and sales jobs. in Handbook of Employee Selection. New York, NY, United States: Psychology Press, 2010. James L. Farr and Nancy Tippins.
- John Hausknecht. 2007. Withdrawal behaviors: Turnover. in Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Thousand Oaks CA, United States: Sage Publications, 2007. S G Rogelberg, C Reeve.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of John Hausknecht