Christopher CollinsAssociate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Human Resource Studies
Christopher J. Collins is Associate Professor of Human Resource Studies and Director of Executive Master of Human Resource Management Program (EMHRM) in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University. He earned his Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland.
Dr. Collins' teaches, conducts research, and does consulting in the areas of strategic human resource management, the role of HR practices and leadership in driving employee engagement, and the role of HR in driving firm innovation and knowledge creation. His research has been accepted for publication in the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Human Resource Management Review, and Human Performance. In addition, Dr. Collins serves on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, the Journal of Management, and Personnel Psychology.
He currently teaches courses in Human Resource Management, Organizational Consulting, and Business Strategy to masters and undergraduate students in the ILR School at Cornell University. Dr. Collins has taught executive development programs at Cornell University and the Society of Human Resource Management. He has also worked as a private HR consultant or conducted executive development programs to multiple Fortune 500 organizations and several startup organizations. His consulting work has primarily focused on talent management, employee engagement, and strategic HR planning.
Dr. Collins is a member of the Academy of Management, Strategic Management Society, and Society for Human Resource Management.
- Christopher Collins. . Expanding the resource-based view model of strategic human resource management, International Journal of Human Resource Management . 32(2):331-358.
- Elizabeth McClean, Christopher Collins, . 2019. Expanding the concept of fit in strategic human resource management: An examination of the relationship between human resource practices and charismatic leadership on organizational outcomes, Human Resource Management . 58(2):187-202.
- Rebecca R Kehoe, Christopher Collins. 2017. Human Resource Management and Unit Performance in Knowledge-intensive Work, Journal of Applied Psychology . 102(8):1222-1236.
- Rebecca R Kehoe, Christopher Collins. 2017. Human resource management and unit performance in knowledge-intensive work, Journal of Applied Psychology . 102(8):1222-1236.
- Christopher Collins, Rebecca Kehoe. 2017. Examining strategic fit and misfit in the management of knowledge workers, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 70(2):308-335. (DOI:10.1177/0019793916654481)
- Christopher Collins, Rebecca R Kehoe. 2017. Examining strategic fit and misfit in the management of knowledge workers, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 70(2):308-335.
- Adam M Kanar, Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. 2015. Changing an unfavorable employer reputation: the roles of recruitment message type and familiarity with employer, Journal of Applied Social Psychology .
- Matthew Allen, Christopher Collins, Jeff A Ericksen. 2013. Human resource management, employee exchange relationships, and performance in small businesses, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 52(2):153-174.
- Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. 2012. The state of the art in performance management: Learnings from discussions with leading organizations, People & Strategy . 36(2):50-52.
- E McClean, Christopher Collins. 2011. High commitment HR practices, employee effort, and firm performance: Investigating the effects of HR practices across employee groups within professional services firms, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 50(3):341-364.
- Adam A Kanar, Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. 2010. A comparison of the effects of positive and negative information on job seekers’ organizational attraction and attribute recall, Human Performance . 23(3):193-212.
- Christopher Collins. 2007. Recruitment practices and product brand strength: An examination of when different recruitment strategies affect employment brand equity, Journal of Applied Psychology . 92(1):180-190.
- Christopher Collins, Ken G Smith. 2006. Knowledge exchange and combination: The role of human resource practices in the performance of high technology firms, Academy of Management Journal . 49(3):544-560.
- Ken G Smith, Christopher Collins, Kevin D Clark. 2005. Existing knowledge, knowledge creation capability and the rate of new product introduction in high technology firms, Academy of Management Journal . 48(2):346-357.
- Quinetta Roberson, Christopher Collins, Shaul Oreg. 2005. The effects of recruitment message specificity on applicant attraction to organizations, Journal of Business and Psychology . 19(3):319-339.
- Christopher Collins, Jian Han. 2004. Exploring applicant pool quantity and quality: The effects of early recruitment practice strategies, corporate advertising, and firm reputation, Personnel Psychology . 57(3):685-717.
- Christopher Collins, Paul J Hanges, Edwin A Locke. 2004. The relationship of need for achievement to entrepreneurship: A meta-analysis, Human Performance . 17(1):95-117.
- Christopher Collins, Kevin D Clark. 2003. Strategic Human Resources Practices and Top Management Team Social Networks: An Examination of the Role of HR Practices in Creating Organizational Competitive Advantage, Academy of Management Journal . 46(6):740-752.
- Scott Shane, Edwin A Locke, Christopher Collins. 2003. Entrepreneurial Motivation, Human Resource Management Review . 13(2):257-279.
- Christopher Collins, Cynthia Kay Stevens. 2002. The relationship between early recruitment-related activities and the application decisions of new labor-market entrants: A brand equity approach to recruitment, Journal of Applied Psychology . 87(6):1121-1133.
- Christopher Collins, Adam Kanar. 2013. Employer Brand Equity and Recruitment Research. in Oxford Handbook of Recruitment. Oxford Press, 2013. Daniel Cable and Trevor Yu.
- Christopher Collins. 2013. Human Resource Management Strategies. in Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Sage , 2013. Eric Kessler. (Accepted)
- Christopher Collins. 2011. Alternative Systems of Human Resources Practices and Performance in Small Entrepreneurial Organizations. Oxford, 2011. Ron Burke and Cary Cooper. (Accepted)
- K D Clark, Christopher Collins. 2005. Strategic human resource management of top management team social networks: Controlling executive relationships for enhanced organizational performance. in Encyclopaedia of Executive Governance. Paris, France: European School of Management Press, 2005. J Duval-Hamel, F Bournois.
- Christopher Collins, M Allen, S S Snell. 2004. Entrepreneurial human resource strategy. in Entrepreneurship Encyclopedia. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell Publishers, 2004. M A Hitt.
- K D Clark, Christopher Collins. 2002. Strategic Decision Making in High Velocity Environments: A Theory Revisited and a Test. in Creating Value: Winners in the New Business Environment. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell Publishers, 2002. M A Hitt, R Amit, C Lucier, R D Nixon.
- Christopher Collins. 2001. Employment brand equity and the changing needs of employees. in Linking Employee Evolution to the HR Revolution. Newark NJ, United States: The Prudential Insurance Company of America, 2001.
- M S Taylor, Christopher Collins. 2000. Strategic Recruitment. in I/O Psychology: Practice and Theory Book. Oxford, United Kingdom: Blackwell Publishers, 2000. C L Cooper, E A Locke.
- J Sovina, Christopher Collins. 2003. The effects of organizational brand equity on employment brand equity and recruitment outcomes. Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 2003.
- J Han, Christopher Collins. 2002. The effects of company recruitment practices on job seekers’ perceived employment brand equity and intentions to pursue job opportunities. Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 2002.
- Christopher Collins, C K Stevens. 1999. Recruitment and job choice: The effects of early recruitment practices on the decision to apply. Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 1999.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Christopher Collins
- Does it matter who says it? A marketing approach to understanding source effects in job seeker perceptions. Presented to Academy of Management. Vancouver. 2020.
- Are you for real? The pre-employment verifiability of job advertisement claims. Presented to Academy of Management. Vancouver. 2020.
- Can government agencies compete with for-profit companies for software talent? Examining the role of employer branding and government attitudes in attracting student applicants.. Presented to Academy of Management. Chicago. 2018.
- An Examination of Barriers to Employee Participation in Health and Wellness Programs. Presented to Academy of Management. Chicago, IL. 2018.