Arthur WheatonDirector, Western NY Labor and Environmental Programs
Arthur Wheaton is director of Western NY Labor and Environmental Programs for the Worker Institute at Cornell. His expertise includes industry education and workplace training, high performance work systems, negotiations and conflict resolution, as well as auto and aerospace industrial relations.
Prior to joining the ILR faculty in 1999, Art was with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he was project manager for the Labor Aerospace Research Agenda. He is also a team member of the Michigan State University Work Practices Diffusion Team that has conducted research in Japan and consulted with industry executives from South Korea, Japan and Thailand.
Previously, Art was a labor education specialist at Michigan State University. Art has served as executive board member and steward for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO in Michigan.
Author of numerous publications, Art earned a B.A. in multidisciplinary social science with a concentration in political science, history and economics at Michigan State University. He has an M.L.I.R. from the Michigan State School of Labor and Industrial Relations.
Art has taught Collective Bargaining, Negotiations, Organizational Change, Steward Training, Interest-Based Bargaining, Conflict Resolution, Communications, Costing Out a Contract, Internet Based Research for Unions, Running Effective Meetings, Crisis Management and Strategic Planning.
- Arthur C Wheaton. 2013. Implications of the UAW-Detroit 3 Negotiations: An Industry-Related Perspective, Perspectives on Work LERA. Volume 16 Numbers 1-2(Summer 2012/Winter 2013):pps. 39-42.
- Arthur C Wheaton. 2012. Reflections on a Changing China, Business and Economy. Business and Economy(Inside China A Cornell-IIPM Think Tank-B&E Joint Study):pps. 8-14 Cover Story.
- Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Michio Nitta, Betty J Barrett, Nejib Belhedi, J Bullard, C Coutchie, Takashi Inaba, Iwao Ishino, S Lee, Wen-Jeng Lin, William M Mothersell, S Rabine, Shobha Ramanand, Mark E Strolle, Arthur C Wheaton. 1994. Japanese Team-Based Work Systems in North America: Explaining the Diversity, California Management Review. 37(1):42-64.
- Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Michio Nitta, Betty J Barrett, Nejib Belhedi, Simon Sai-Chung Chow, Takashi Inaba, Iwao Ishino, Wen-Jeng Lin, Michael L Moore, William M Mothersell, Jennifer Palthe, Shobha Ramanand, Mark E Strolle, Arthur C Wheaton. 1998. Knowledge-Driven Work: Unexpected Lessons from Japanese and United States Work Practices. New York NY: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Arthur C Wheaton. 1996. Developments in Cross-Cultural Procedural Justice, Industrial Relations, and Human Resource Management. in Emerging Issues of Employment Proceedings. Taipei: International Industrial Relations Association 3rd Asian Regional Congress, 1996. (143-164)
- A Conversation about the Global Auto Industry and International Careers. Presented to CIBA 2nd Annual International Business Lecture Series. Ithaca, NY. 2015.
- Cultural Transformation at General Motors, Lemoyne Alum at the Wheel of Change. Presented to Spring 2015 Madden Lecture Series, Lemoyne College. Lemoyne College. 2015.
- A Decade of Progress: Sustainability Comes of Age in WNY. Presented to The Worker Institute, Daemen College, WNY Apollo Alliance. Daemen College. 2014.
- Labor's view of health care and negotiations With Dick Lipsitz Jr.. Presented to ILR. Ithaca. 2014.
- Panel Discussion for Revenge of the Electric Car. Presented to Cornell University School of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Ithaca. 2013.
- Sustainable Food Manufacturing. Presented to Daemen College, The Worker Institute, WNY Apollo Alliance. Amherst. 2013.
- Indian Automotive Brands/Award Presentation. Presented to Planman Media. Las Vegas, Nevada. 2013.
- Workers Memorial. Presented to Chautaqua County Workers Memorial. Frewsburg, NY. 2013.
- Labor 101. Presented to Next UP WNY Area Labor Federation. United Way of Buffalo. 2013.
- Conflict Management. Presented to CWA. Vernon Downs, NY. 2012.
- Engaging the Community in Green Home Energy Conservation Kits. Presented to Troy Neighborhood Action Council. Russell Sage College, Troy, NY. 2012.
- Western New York Apollo Alliance HECK Project. Presented to Apollo Alliance. Teleconference for National Apollo Alliance. 2011.
- Health care bargaining. Presented to Cornell ILR. Ives Hall, Ithaca. 2011.
- Labor Struggles in the News. Presented to Niagara-Orleans Central Labor Council. Lewiston, NY. 2011.
- Taylor Law and Public Sector Bargaining. Presented to AFSCME Local 650. Buffalo City Hall. 2011.
- United States Too Big to Fail Banking Sector Comments . Presented to European Foundation. Rome, Italy. 2010.
- United States National Challenges and Recession in the Banking Sector. Presented to European Foundation . Rome, Italy. 2010.
- Wind energy and good jobs. Presented to Buffalo Common Council. Buffalo City Hall. 2010.
- Auto Industry restructuring GM case study. Presented to ILO. Tokyo, Japan. 2009.
- Auto Industry restructuring GM case study. Presented to European Foundation Living and Working Conditions. Dublin, Ireland. 2009.
- Auto Industry update with Harry Katz. Presented to Trustee Council. Ithaca. 2009.
- Teaching online. Presented to UALE. Washington D.C.. 2009.