Arthur WheatonDirector, Labor Studies
Arthur Wheaton is director of Labor Studies and works in the Cornell ILR Buffalo Co-Lab. Art also works for the Scheinman Institute on Conflict Resolution. His expertise includes workplace training, negotiations, costing out a contract and conflict resolution, as well as auto and aerospace industrial relations.
Prior to joining the ILR faculty in 1999, Art was with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he was project manager for the Labor Aerospace Research Agenda.
Author of numerous publications, Art earned a B.A. in multidisciplinary social science with a concentration in political science, history and economics at Michigan State University. He has an M.L.I.R. from the Michigan State School of Labor and Industrial Relations.
Art has taught Collective Bargaining, Negotiations, Organizational Change, Steward Training, Interest-Based Bargaining, Conflict Resolution, Communications, Costing Out a Contract, Internet Based Research for Unions, Running Effective Meetings, Crisis Management and Strategic Planning.
Art is Co-Chair of the Western NY Apollo Alliance and member of the advisory board of the Cornell Online Learning Committee.
Art manages and teaches in the online labor studies credit certificate program and online labor leadership skills certificate program. Art also provides on-site training and education programs for unions and other organizations. In addition, Art teaches Renovation, Remodeling and Painting for the EPA RRP-Initial certificate.
- Arthur C Wheaton. 2013. Implications of the UAW-Detroit 3 Negotiations: An Industry-Related Perspective, Perspectives on Work LERA . Volume 16 Numbers 1-2(Summer 2012/Winter 2013):pps. 39-42.
- Arthur C Wheaton. 2012. Reflections on a Changing China, Business and Economy . Business and Economy(Inside China A Cornell-IIPM Think Tank-B&E Joint Study):pps. 8-14 Cover Story.
- Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Michio Nitta, Betty J Barrett, Nejib Belhedi, J Bullard, C Coutchie, Takashi Inaba, Iwao Ishino, S Lee, Wen-Jeng Lin, William M Mothersell, S Rabine, Shobha Ramanand, Mark E Strolle, Arthur C Wheaton. 1994. Japanese Team-Based Work Systems in North America: Explaining the Diversity, California Management Review . 37(1):42-64.
- Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Michio Nitta, Betty J Barrett, Nejib Belhedi, Simon Sai-Chung Chow, Takashi Inaba, Iwao Ishino, Wen-Jeng Lin, Michael L Moore, William M Mothersell, Jennifer Palthe, Shobha Ramanand, Mark E Strolle, Arthur C Wheaton. 1998. Knowledge-Driven Work: Unexpected Lessons from Japanese and United States Work Practices. New York NY, United States: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Harry Katz, Arthur C Wheaton. 2018. Workers' and Union Participation at US Workplaces. in Palgrave Handbook of Workers' Participation at the Plant Level. Germany: Palgrave Press, 2018. Stefan Berger, Ludger Pries, Manfred Wannoffel.
- Arthur C Wheaton. 1996. Developments in Cross-Cultural Procedural Justice, Industrial Relations, and Human Resource Management. in Emerging Issues of Employment Proceedings. Taipei, Taiwan: International Industrial Relations Association 3rd Asian Regional Congress, 1996. (143-164)