Skip to main content

Health, Safety & Security

Health Insurance

Every participant in the ILR Credit Internship Program is required to have comprehensive health insurance that will cover them while interning in either domestic or international locations. Students may seek coverage through their own private health insurance or through the Cornell Student Health Plan (SHP). For more information visit the Cornell’s Student Benefits website. Please note, you will be charged for a full year’s coverage of this insurance.

The Cornell Student Health Plan is valid anywhere in the world, but you will need to pay upfront for any medical services. You will need to save your receipts and then submit them for reimbursement. Many private health insurers work in a similar way, but you should contact your individual insurer to confirm details of their requirements.

In the event of serious illness or accident, it is very important that you contact the ILR Credit Internship Program office. You can reach Brigid Beachler, Managing Director at (607) 255-2266, or Miguelina Tabar, Program Coordinator at (607) 255-2858. In case of emergency, Ms. Beachler can be reached at home at (607) 277-6438.

Each student undertaking an international credit internship is required to complete the ILR Credit Internship Program

and submit it to Brigid Beachler in 119 Ives Hall before leaving for their internship.

Health Concerns

Each prospective student should give serious consideration to any health concerns that may affect them while off-campus for the semester. Students should have complete physicals before departing for their internship, whether domestic or international, to ensure that they are in good health. Please note, dental care is relatively expensive in most foreign countries and students are encouraged to get a check up before they leave for an international internship.

Students undertaking international credit internships will likely not qualify for public hospital treatment under the same conditions as citizen of the host country.  Therefore, it is mandatory that you secure your own private health insurance before leaving for your internship.  If you already have health insurance, please be sure to check with your health insurance company that you are covered while abroad.  While health care will undoubtedly be available to students, it is very likely that you will have to pay a fee for these services.   Comprehensive health insurance coverage will ensure that you are reimbursed for these expenses once you have submitted invoices to your insurance carrier. We encourage those students pursuing international internships to review the Students Health Benefits inurance for Students Studying Abroad web page. Semester long insurance is very affordable and will provide full-coverage at the point of service.

Students pursuing domestic internships should also inquire about their health insurance carriers rules concerning out of network medical coverage and any additional associated costs for such treatment.

If you will be bringing any medications with you, carry prescriptions in their original containers. You should also bring a written copy of prescriptions using the generic name for each medicine.

Safety and Security

The safety and security of all of our students is a high priority for us. Crime rates in both domestic and international locations, of course, depend on the city in which a student is interning. Most European cities have very low crime rates, however, students should take reasonable precautions to ensure their safety. The most prevalent crime is pick-pocketing and theft. Be very aware of your surroundings, do not carry large amounts of cash, and safeguard your passport. Perhaps the biggest key to your safety is personal conduct.

We require that students interning in international locations are covered by a comprehensive health insurance policy. Comprehensive coverage includes:

  • Medically necessary care (NOT just emergency care) while abroad
  • Coverage for pre-existing conditions
  • Coverage in their host country & during any travel you may take outside of their host country
  • Maximum benefit of at least $500,000 per year
  • Provide coverage when you return from the international internship that will cover any conditions contracted abroad

We further require that students register their travel plans in the Cornell Travel Registry and print out an International SOS ID insurance card.  International SOS is an organization that provides medical evacuation in the event of an emergency. This is a free service provided to each Cornell student. You must have a Cornell net ID and password to login.

In an emergency, you must call International SOS as pre-approval is required for medical evacuation. The 24 hour number is (215) 942-8478 or (215)-942-8226 to call collect. You should identify yourself as a Cornell student and provide the Cornell University membership # 11BCSCA827281

We also ask, in the event of an emergency, you contact our office as soon as is reasonable. We can be reached at: (607) 255-2266 or (607) 255-2858 or by email at or