Skip to main content

Passports & Visas

All students are required to have a passport to undertake an international internship.  The wait for a passport can be lengthy, so we recommend starting that process as soon as you begin thinking about pursuing a study abroad opportunity.  This may mean that your child needs to apply for a passport before they have actually finalized their internship.  If your child’s passport will expire within 6 months of the end of their semester abroad, it should be renewed before going abroad.

Visas may be required for interning abroad for US nationals or US Permanent Residents depending on where your student will be located.  International students will need to consult their consulate and the Cornell Office of International Students and Scholars to discuss visa issues and any restrictions on their ability to study abroad.  The ILR Credit Internship Program will work closely with individual students to determine whether a visa is needed.

Passports and Visas

We strongly recommend that you apply for a US passport once you have applied for an international internship through the Credit Internship Program if you do not already have one. Even if you are not accepted into your program, the investment in a passport is a good one.

Students who are U.S. citizens must hold a passport in order to travel abroad, and should apply for one immediately if they do not now have one. (Passports that will expire within six months of the end of the program should be renewed before going abroad.)  If you begin to apply for a passport after you are accepted to the program you may find you have a difficult time completing all of your paperwork before your departure. Students will need a passport to apply for a visa which is necessary in order to intern in many countries.

U.S. passports can be obtained or renewed at the Tompkins County Clerk's office, 320 North Tioga Street, (607) 274-5431 or the passport agency nearest to your permanent address. Passport agencies and helpful information can be found on the State Department web site. You will need the following documents to apply for or renew a passport:

  • Completed passport application
  • Proof of citizenship (certificate of naturalization, previous passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate)
  • Two identical passport photos taken within six months prior to the application
  • Personal Identification (driver's license, photo ID or previous passport)
  • The passport application fee is $110. The execution fee is $25. The total is $135. Allow six to eight weeks for delivery. Express processing is available for an additional fee.

When you receive the passport, make sure that all of the information on the data page of the passport is accurate and make several photocopies of that page. Give one copy to your parent or guardian, one to Brigid Beachler in the ILR Off-Campus Credit Programs Office and take several copies with you overseas. Be sure to complete the information page on the inside of your passport providing the name, address and telephone number of an emergency contact and sign your passport before you leave for the airport. If your passport is lost in the USA, contact the nearest passport agency or the Department of State. If you lose your passport abroad, notify the nearest consulate or embassy immediately.

Non-U.S. citizens with U.S. Permanent Residence status may travel to most places, although they may have to complete special visa application procedures. Students who plan to travel on a passport issued by a country other than the U.S. are advised to check visa requirements for all countries they plan to visit. Feel free to speak with ILR’s Office of Off-Campus Credit Programs if you have any questions or concerns.