Attitudes & Beliefs
How do people's belief systems influence their attitudes toward others, judgments, and behaviors? Representative projects:
- Zitek, E. M., & Schlund, R. J. (2021). Psychological entitlement predicts noncompliance with the health guidelines of the COVID-19 pandemic. Personality and individual differences.
- Zitek, E. M., & Phillips, L. T. (2020). Ease and control: the cognitive benefits of hierarchy. Current opinion in psychology.
- Lucas, B. J., & Kteily, N. S. (2018). (Anti-)egalitarianism differentially predicts empathy for members of advantaged versus disadvantaged groups. Journal of personality and social psychology.
How and when do people generate their most creative ideas? How are creators and their ideas evaluated by others? Representative projects:
- Lucas, B. J. & Mai, K. M. (2022). Illumination and elbow grease: A theory of how mental models of the creative process influence creativity. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 168, 104107.
- Lucas, B. J. & Nordgren, L. F. (2022). Lay people’s beliefs about creativity: evidence for an insight bias. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 26, 6-7.
- Lucas, B. J. & Nordgren, L F. (2020). The creative cliff illusion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117, 19830-19836.
- Proudfoot, D. & Fath, S. (2020). Signaling creative genius: How perceived social connectedness influences judgments of creative potential. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Kay, Min B., Devon Proudfoot, and Richard P. Larrick (2018). There’s no team in I: How observers perceive individual creativity in a team setting. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Carton, A. M., & Lucas, B. J. (2018). How can leaders overcome the blurry vision bias? Identifying an antidote to the paradox of vision communication. Academy of Management Journal.
Morality and Ethics
How do people think about right and wrong, moral values, and ethical dilemmas? How do these things influence judgments of others and of organizations? Representative projects:
- Berry, Z., Lewis Jr., N.A., & Sowden, W.J. (2021). The Double-Edged Sword of Loyalty. Current Directions in Psychological Science.
Sah, S., & Feiler, D. (2020). Conflict of interest disclosure with high-quality advice: The disclosure penalty and the altruistic signal. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law.
Tang, S., Koval, C.Z., Larrick, R.P. & Harris, L.H. (2020). The Morality of Organization vs. Organized Members: Organizations are Attributed More Control and Responsibility for Negative Outcomes than are Equivalent Members. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
Rose, S. L., Sah, S., Dweik, R., Schmidt, C., Mercer, M., Mitchum, A., ... & Robertson, C. (2019). Patient responses to physician disclosures of industry conflicts of interest: A randomized field experiment. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
Sah, S., Loewenstein, G., & Cain, D. (2019). Insinuation anxiety: Concern that advice rejection will signal distrust after conflict of interest disclosures. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
Hildreth, J.A.D. & Anderson, C. (2018) Does loyalty trump honesty? Moral judgments of loyalty driven deceit. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
Power & Status
How do power, status, and societal hierarchies influence beliefs, judgments, and workplace behaviors? Representative projects:
- Matusik, J. G., Mitchell, R. L., Hays, N. A., Fath, S., & Hollenbeck, J. R. (In Press). The highs and lows of hierarchy in multiteam systems. Academy of Management Journal.
- Anderson, C., Hildreth, J. A. D., & Sharps, D. L. (2020). The Possession of High Status Strengthens the Status Motive. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Bohns, V. K. & Newark, D. A. (2019). Power and perceived influence: I caused your behavior, but I’m not responsible for it. Social and Personality Psychology Compass.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
How do organizations promote a diverse workforce, equitable outcomes, and inclusive cultures? Representative projects:
- Fath, S., Ma, A., & Rosette, A. S. (In Press). Self-views of disadvantage and success impact perceptions of privilege among White men. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Fath, S., Larrick, R. P., Soll, J. B., & Zhu, S. (2021). Why putting on blinders can help us see more clearly. MIT Sloan Management Review, 62(4), 38-45.
- Graber, J., & Zitek, E. M. (2021). Reducing criminal record discrimination through banning the box: the importance of timing and explanation in the reveal of a drug conviction. Psychology, Crime & Law.
- Lucas, B. J., Berry, Z., Giurge, L. M., & Chugh, D. (2021). A longer shortlist increases the consideration of female candidates in male-dominant domains. Nature: Human Behaviour.