The ILR School of Cornell University, a leading school for applied social sciences in USA & Grassroots Research and Advocacy Movement (GRAAM) a Development Research and Public Policy Engagement Initiative in India, jointly presents this professional workshop. 3PE is intended to build capacity in understanding the process and methods of Program Evaluation and evidence-based policy making. The objective is to build a professional Evaluation Community in India, able to design Program Evaluation in a systematic way.
This Thirteen-day intensive workshop will draw on the academic and professional expertise of Cornell University and GRAAM to provide participants with practical guidance for understanding Public Policy & Program Evaluation.
Dates: May 23 to June 4 to 29, 2022
Location: New Delhi, India
Need for 3PE:
Program evaluations are increasingly being used for diverse purposes: strategic learning, transparency and accountability, program design and policy formulation. As the demand for rigorous policy analysis rises, it is important to build the capacity of government policymakers, policy think tanks, policy professionals, researchers, development practitioners & civil society leaders. Program evaluation has emerged in recent years as a powerful instrument for enhancing policy effectiveness. Although researchers receive training in research methodologies, the opportunities for evaluators to get training in program evaluation methodologies is limited. This workshop fills that gap.
- This workshop aims at enabling professionals to build a culture of evidence-based policy making.
- To reflect on the importance of including rigorous evidence in the policy decision-making process.
- To provide required skills to develop program evaluation designs
- To learn about different methods & techniques of Program evaluation.
By the end of the course, participants will have an understanding / be able to / become aware of the following -
- To have an exposure to the field of public policy
- With a high-level view of the policy cycle
- Real-life sharing of experiences from the field of policy making
- To understand evaluation design
- Understand and deconstruct program objectives
- Develop a theory of change or program logic model
- Craft evaluation questions and design
- To Practice Evaluation
- Select evaluation designs for different studies/requirements
- Break the design process in its constitutive components (approaches, tools etc)
- Construct effective tools (questionnaires, interview guides), sample sizes etc for data collection
- To be aware of the the practical difficulties of doing evaluations of public programs on the ground and how to deal with them.
Who Should Attend
The program is primarily for mid-career professionals having the knowledge of fundamentals in social science / policy research. The Program is designed for capacity building of people in Government, Academia, Think-tanks, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) personnel and other Development Professionals.
Participants from our previous program who have benefited include those from the Govt - NGO - CSR sector, Management Consultants, Researchers perusing their M.Phil., PhD & Post-doctoral Studies in Development Studies, Public Policy, Law, Management and the Social sciences. Participants should possess a basic understanding of Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods.
The course will be conducted primarily in workshop mode. It will begin with an introduction about the policy making process with lectures from national government policy makers. It will then focus on quantitative and qualitative research techniques used in program evaluation. Each day will be filled with lectures, workshop experiences, group work, using live cases of government programs. There will be special sessions in the evenings, consisting of lectures by government officers, program evaluation specialists, and others that will provide additional context to the course.
Venue: New Delhi (Specific Location to be decided).
Number of Seats: 50
Scholarships: Limited scholarships available for deserving candidates
- Workshop Duration: 23rd May to 6th June 2022
- Application Deadline: March 30
- Admission Notification to Candidates: April 15
REGISTRATION: Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org . Limited seats available and seats will be allotted onfirst come first serve basis, based on the selection criteria of the selection panel.