Shannon GleesonAssociate Professor
Shannon Gleeson earned her Ph.D. in Sociology and Demography from the University of California, Berkeley in 2008. She joined the faculty of the Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations in Fall 2014, after six years in the Latin American & Latino Studies Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Her research focuses on the experiences of low-wage workers, the role of immigrant documentation status, and legal mobilization. She has also conducted research on immigrant civic engagement and the bureaucratic processes of labor standards enforcement. Her publications have appeared in the American Journal of Sociology, Latino Studies, Law & Social Inquiry, Law & Society Review, International Migration, and Social Science & Medicine. Her book, "Conflicting Commitments: The Politics of Enforcing Immigrant Worker Rights in San Jose and Houston," was published in 2012 by Cornell University Press.
She is currently working on a book that examines the promises and failures of U.S. labor and employment law, the challenges low-wage workers face when they come forward to file a claim, and their experiences in fighting for justice. Additionally, she is engaged in two collaborative projects that examine the implementation of immigrant worker rights. With Xóchitl Bada, (University of Illinois, Chicago), she is researching the role of the Mexican Consulate in protecting the rights of immigrant workers, and the perspective of enforcement agencies and nonprofit advocates across the United States. With support from the National Science Foundation, she and Els de Graauw (Baruch College, the City University of New York) are conducting an institutional analysis of the implementation of the 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in three metropolitan regions: the San Francisco Bay Area, the Greater Houston Area, and the New York City Metro Area.
- Xóchitl Bada, Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. A New Approach to Migrant Labor Rights Enforcement: The Crisis of Undocumented Worker Abuse and Mexican Consular Advocacy in the United States, . 40(1):32-53. (doi:10.1177/0160449X14565112 )
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Brokering Immigrant Worker Rights: An Examination of Local Immigration Control, Administrative Capacity, and Civil Society, . 41(3):470-492. (doi:10.1080/1369183X.2014.921568)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Narratives of Deservingness and the Institutional Youth of Immigrant Workers, . 9(3):47-61.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. 'They Come Here to Work': An Evaluation of the Economic Argument in Favor of Immigrant Rights, . 19(3-4):400-420. (doi:10.1080/13621025.2015.1006173)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Brokered Pathways to Justice and Cracks in the Law: A Closer Look at the Claimsmaking Experiences of Low-wage Workers, . 18(1):77-102. (doi:10.1111/wusa.12154)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Means to An End: An Assessment of the Status-blind Approach to Protecting Undocumented Worker Rights, . 57(3):301-320. (doi:10.1177/0731121414523733)
- Els de Graauw, Shannon M Gleeson, Irene Bloemraad. 2013. Funding Immigrant Organizations: Suburban Free Riding and Local Civic Presence, . 119(1):75-730. (doi:10.1086/671168)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Shifting Agendas, Evolving Coalitions: Immigrant Worker Rights in Houston, . 16(2):207-226. (doi:10.1111/wusa.12039)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Leveraging Health Capital at the Workplace: An Examination of Health Reporting Behavior among Latino Immigrant Restaurant Workers in the United States, . 75(12):2291-2298. (doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.08.031)
- Shannon M Gleeson, Irene Bloemraad. 2012. Assessing the Scope of Immigrant Organizations: Official Undercounts and Actual Underrepresentation, . 42(2):344-368. (doi:10.1177/0899764011436105 )
- Shannon M Gleeson, Roberto Gonzales. 2012. When Do Papers Matter? An Institutional Analysis of Undocumented Life in the United States, . 50(4):1-19. (doi:10.1111/j.1468-2435.2011.00726.x)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2010. Labor Rights for All? The Role of Undocumented Immigrant Status for Worker Claims Making, . 35(3):561-602. (doi:10.1111/j.1747-4469.2010.01196.x)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2010. Re-conceptualizing the economic incorporation of immigrants: A comparison of the Mexican and Vietnamese, . 8:69-92. (doi:10.1057/lst.2009.43)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2009. From Rights to Claims: The Role of Civil Society in Making Rights Real for Vulnerable Workers, . 43(3):669-700. (doi:10.1111/j.1540-5893.2009.00385.x)
- Marcel Paret, Shannon M Gleeson. 2006. International Migration in Macro-Stratification Perspective: Bringing Power Back In, . 50:120-146.
- John SW Park, Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. The Nation and Its Peoples: Citizens, Denizens, Migrants. New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Conflicting Commitments: The Politics of Enforcing Immigrant Worker Rights in San Jose and Houston. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2012.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Between Support and Shame: The Impacts of Workplace Violations for Immigrant Families. in Research in the Sociology of Work: Immigration and Work. Bingley: Emerald, 2015. Tony Payan and Erika De la Garza. (29-52)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Activism and Advocacy. in Hidden Lives and Human Rights in the United States: Understanding the Controversies and Tragedies of Undocumented Immigration. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2014. Lois Lorentzen. (207-232)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Navigating Occupational Health Rights: The Function of Illegality, Language, and Class Inequality in Workers’ Compensation. in The Nation and Its Peoples: Citizens, Denizens, Migrants. New York : Routledge, 2014. John SW Park and Shannon Gleeson . (179-202)
- Leisy J. Abrego, Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Workers, Families, and Immigration Policies. in Undecided Nation: Political Gridlock and the Immigration Crisis. New York: Springer, 2014. Tony Payan and Erika de la Garza. (209-228)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Unauthorized Immigration to the United States. in Immigrants in America: Arrivals, Adaptation and Integration. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO, 2013. Elliott Barkan. (1539-1552)
- Irene Bloemraad, Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Making the Case for Organizational Presence: Civic Inclusion, Access to Resources, And Formal Community Organizations. in Comparative Urban and Community Research: Remaking Urban Citizenship: Organizations, Institutions, and the Right to the City. New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers, 2012. Michael Peter Smith and Michael McQuarrie. (109-134)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2008. Organizing for Latino Immigrant Rights in Two U.S. Cities: The Case of San Jose and Houston. in Civic Hopes and Political Realities: Immigrants, Community Organizations and Political Engagement. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Press, 2008. S. Karthick Ramakrishnan and Irene Bloemraad. (107-133)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Undocumented Workers. in Sociology of Work. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference, 2013. Vicki Smith.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2011. Day Laborers, Worker Centers & Immigrants and Unions. in Anti-Immigration in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2011. Kathleen Arnold.
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Review of: Card, David, and Steven Raphael. Immigration, Poverty, and Socioeconomic Inequality. National Poverty Center Series on Poverty and Public Policy (Russell Sage Foundation Press, 2013). Contemporary Sociology, 2015. (786-788)(Accepted)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2015. Review of: Mora, G. Cristina. Making Hispanics: How Activists, Bureaucrats, and Media Constructed a New American. (University of Chicago Press, 2013). in Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies. 2015. (265-269)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2014. Review of: Lee, Catherine. Fictive Kinship: Family Reunification and the Meaning of Race and Nation in American Immigration. (Russell Sage Foundation, 2013). in American Journal of Sociology. 2014. (624-626)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2013. Review of McKay, Sonia, Eugenia Markova, and Anna Paraskevopoulou 2001. Undocumented Workers' Transitions: Legal Status, Migration, and Work in Europe. in Ethnic and Racial Studies. 2013. (892-894)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Review of: Apostolidis, Paul. Breaks in the Chain: What Immigrant Workers Can Teach America about Democracy. in Contemporary Sociology. 2012. (61-63)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2012. Review of: Sarathy, Brinda. Pineros: Latino Labour and the Changing Face of Forestry in the Pacific Northwest. in Human Ecology. 2012. (807-809)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2011. Review of: Norris, Jim. North for the Harvest: Mexican Workers, Growers, and the Sugar Beet Industry. in Journal of American Ethnic History. 2011. (103-105)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2009. Review of: Telles, Edward E. and Vilma Ortiz. Generations of Exclusion: Mexican Americans, Assimilation, and Race. in City and Community. 2009. (197-199)
- Shannon M Gleeson. 2008. Review of: Jiménez, Francisco, Alma M. García, and Richard A. Garcia. Ethnic Community Builders: Mexican Americans in Search of Justice and Power, The Struggle for Citizenship Rights in San José, California. in Contemporary Sociology. 2008. (472-473)