Sarosh KuruvillaAndrew J. Nathanson Family Professor in Industrial and Labor Relations
Sarosh Kuruvilla is currently Professor of Industrial Relations, Asian Studies and Public Affairs at Cornell University. He is also a Visiting Professor of Employment Relations and Organizational Behaviour at the London School of Economics. He joined Cornell's faculty in 1990 after obtaining a doctorate in business administration from the University of Iowa in 1989, and after a career as a labor relations manager in the industry in India.
Professor Kuruvilla's research interests focus broadly in the area of comparative industrial relations and specifically on the linkages between industrial relations policies and practices, national human resource policies and practices and economic development policies. His recent research has been concerned with developing policy approaches to improving national skills development, skills up-gradation and labor policy. His research has informed government policy and practice in Asia, particularly in relation to Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, S. Korea, Taiwan and more recently, in China and India. He serves as a consultant to many international agencies, as well as global corporations, and has authored a large number of refereed journal articles on labor and human resource policies and practices. His current research focuses on the analysis of employment relations in global value chains, with particular attention to the centralization and decentralization of HR polices across the value chain. He is also working on the globalization of professional labor markets, particularly the linkages between labor markets for lawyers in the US, UK, and India.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2016. From Pyramids to Diamonds: Legal process Offshoring and Law labor Markets in the US and India, Industrial and labor Relations Review . 69(March ):354-377.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. . The Offshoring of Knowldge Work and the Emerging Structure of Employment in the Global Economy. , Adapt International and Comparative Labour Studies . Vol 1(Issue 1).
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Eli Friedman. . Experimentation and Decentralization in Industrial Relations in China, Human Relations .
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ariel Avgar, Tashlin Lakhani. 2013. From the Firm to the Network: Global VAlue Chains and Employment Relations Theory, British Journal of Industrial Relations . 51(3):440-473.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Gregory Jackson. 2013. Across Boundaries: The Global Challenges Facing Employment Relations , British Journal of Industrial Relations . 51(3):425-439.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Mingwei Liu, Priti Jacob. 2007. A Case study of the Yeshasvini Health Insurance Scheme for the Rural poor in India, International Journal of Self Help and Self Care . 3(3/4):261-306.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Mingwei Liu. 2007. Health Security for the Rural Poor? A Case Study of a Health Insurance Scheme for Rural Farmers and Peasants in India, International Social Security Review . 60(4):3-21.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Anil Verma. 2006. Hard Law, Soft Law, and the Roles of National Governments in the International Labor Standards Debate, Journal of Industrial Relations . 48(1):41-58.
- Tony Edwards, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2005. International HRM: national business systems, organizational politics and the international division of labour in MNCs, International Journal of Human Resources Management . 16(1):1-21.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Anil Verma. 2004. Globalization, Logics of Action, International Labor Standards, and National Government Roles, Quarterly Journal of Labor Policy . 4(2):25-44.
- Christopher Erickson, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Rene Ofreneo, Maria Asuncion Ortiz. 2003. From Core to Periphery? Recent Developments in Employment Relations in the Philippines, Industrial Relations . 42(3):368-395.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Adam Lee. 2002. The Changing Social Contract in Asia, Global Business Review . 2(2):259-288.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Subesh Das, Hyunji Kwon, Soon-won Kwon. 2002. Union Growth, Decline and Revitalization in Asia, British Journal of Industrial Relations . 40(3):431-463.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Christopher Erickson, Alvin Hwang. 2002. An Assessment of the Singapore Skills Development System: Lessons for Developing Countries, World Development . 30(8):1461-1476.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Christopher Erickson. 2002. Change and Transformation in Asian Industrial Relations, Industrial Relations . 41(2):171-228.
- Stephen Frenkel, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2002. Logics of Action, Globalization, and Employment Relations Change in China, India, Malaysia, and the Philippines, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 55(3):387-412.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Stephen Frenkel. 2001. Globalization and Workplace Relations in the Electronics Industries in India, China, Malaysia, and the Philippines, Indian Journal of Labour Economics . 44(3):429-446.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2000. Globalization, Workers, and Industrial Relations Institutions in Southeast Asia, Southeast Asia Bulletin . 12-16.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Rodney Chua. 2000. How Do Nations Develop Skills? Lessons from the Skill Development Experiences of Singapore, Global Business Review . 1:11-49.
- Stephen Frenkel, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1999. Member-Union Relations in Korea, British Journal of Industrial Relations . 37(4):559-575.
- Christopher L Erickson, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1998. Industrial Relations Implications of the Asian Financial Crisis, Perspectives on Work . 2(1).
- Christopher Erickson, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1998. What is Industrial Relations Transformation?, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 52(1).
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1998. Kuruvilla-The Political Economy of Industrialization and Industrial Relations: A rejoinder, Industrial Relations Journal . 29(1):78-82.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ricky Iverson. 1996. Antecedents of Union Loyalty; The effect of individual dispositions and organizational context, Journal of Organizational Behavior . 16:557-583.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. Industrialization Strategies and National Industrial Relations Policy in Southeast Asia: Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, and India, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 49(4):635-637.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. National Industrialization Strategies and their Influence on Workplace HR Practices: Case Studies in Malaysia and the Philippines, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 6(3).
- Magnus Sverke, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. New Conceptualizations: Development and test of an Integrated Theory, Journal of Organizational Behavior . 16:505-533.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. Economic Development, Industrial Relations and Democracy in the Twenty-First Century in South and Southeast Asia: Past Trends and Future Directions, Industrial Relations Journal . 27(1).
- Christopher Erickson, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1995. Labor Costs and the Social Dumping Debate in the European Union, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 48(1):28-48.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ricky Iverson. 1994. Does Dual Commitment Underlie Company and Union Commitment? Evidence from Australia, Sweden, and the United States, Research and Practice in Human Resource Management . 3(1).
- Charles Mueller, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ricky Iverson. 1994. Swedish Professionals: Gender Differences, Social Forces . 72(2):555-573.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Jack Fiorito. 1994. Who will help?: The Determinants of Willingness to Work for Unions, Relations Industrielles/Industrial Relations . 49(3).
- Paul Jarley, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1994. American Trade Unions and Public Approval: Can Unions Please All of the People All of the Time?, Journal of Labor Research . XV(2):97-116.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Magnus Sverke. 1993. Two Dimensions of Union Commitment Based on the Theory of Reasoned Action: Cross-cultural Comparisons, Research and Practice in Human Resource Management . 1(1):1-16.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ricky Iverson. 1993. Union Commitment in Australia, Journal of Industrial Relations . 35(3).
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Daniel G Gallagher, Kurt Wetzel. 1993. An Investigation of Member-Union Attitude Formation: Evidence from Sweden and Canada, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 46(3):499-515.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Jonas Pontusson. 1992. Swedish Wage Earner Funds: An Experiment in Economic Democracy, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 45(4):779-792.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Jack Fiorito, Daniel G Gallagher, Mitsuru Wakabayashi. 1990. Union Participation in Japan, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 43(4):374-390.
- Paul Jarley, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Douglas Casteel. 1990. The Importance of Member Union Relations as a Determinant of Global Union Satisfaction: Additional Evidence, Industrial Relations . 29(1):128-135.
- Paul Lansing, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1988. US Business Divestment in S. Africa: In who's best interest?, Journal of Business Ethics . 7:561-574.
- Paul Lansing, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1987. Industrial Dispute Resolution in India: Theory and Practice, Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Journal . 9(2):345-375.
- Paul Lansing, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1986. Job Reservation in India, Labor Law Journal . 37(9):653-659.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. . From Iron Rice bowl to Informal Employment: State, Markets and Workers in China. . Ithaca, United States: Cornell university Press, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ching Kwan lee, and mary gallagher. (Accepted)
- Changwon Lee, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2006. The Transformation of Industrial Relations in Large-size enterprises in Korea: Appraisals of Korean enterprise unionism. Seoul, South Korea: Korea Labor Institute, 2006.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Wesley Hiers. 2000. Globalization and Industrial Relations in India: A Study of Industries and Firms. Bangkok, Thailand: ILO: Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, 2000.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Harry Katz, Lowell Turner. 1994. Industrial Relations Reform in S. Korea: Principles and Policies in IR Systems Design. Seoul, South Korea: Korea Labor Institute, 1994.
- Harry Katz, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Lowell Turner. 1993. Trade Unions and Collective Bargaining. Washington, DC, United States: World Bank, PHREE, 1993.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. . Introduction to From Iron Rice Bowl to Informalization. in From Iron Rice Bowl to Informalization: States, workers and markets in China. . ithaca: Cornell university Press, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ching Kwan lee and Mary Gallagher. (20 pages)(Accepted)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2013. Globalization and Employment Relations. in Comparative Employment Relations: A Textbook. London, United Kingdom: Routledge, 2013. Carola Frege and john Kelly. (Accepted)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, . 2012. Informality and Re-regulation in East Asian Economies. in Critical Issues in Employment Relations and Human resource management. London, United Kingdom: Routledge, 2012. Malcolm Warner. (250)(Accepted)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2011. Conclusions: Towards Informalization. in From iron Rice bowl to Informalization< States, MArkets and Workers in a Chamnging China. Ithaca, United States: Cornell university Press, 2011. Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ching Kwan lee and Mary Gallagher. (20 pages)(Accepted)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2010. The Influence of Tripartism on Economic Reform in Singapore and Korea. in Blunting Neo-Liberalism: Tripartism and Economic Reforms in the Developing World. London, Geneva, United Kingdom: Palmgrave, 2010. Lydia Fraile. (85-122)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2007. Skills Development in Singapore and India’s Outsourcing Sector. in Globalization and Change in Asia. London, United Kingdom: Lynne Reiner, 2007. Dennis Rondinelli, John Heffron. (127-148)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2006. Conclusion: Large Firm Industrial Relations at the Cross-roads. in The Transformation of Industrial Relations in Large-size enterprises in Korea: Appraisals of Korean Enterprise Unionism. Seoul, South Korea: Korea Labor Institute, 2006. Changwon Lee, Sarosh Kuruvilla.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2006. Social Dialogue for Decent Work. in Decent Work: Objectives and Strategies. International Institute for Labor Studies, 2006. Dharam Ghai.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Stephen Frenkel, David Peetz. 2002. MNCs as Important Diffusers of Best Practice Employment Relations in Developing Nations: Discussion and Propositions based on Selected Case Studies. in Multinational Companies and Transnational Workplace Issues. Quorum Books, 2002. W M Cooke.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2000. The Impact of Globalization on Economies and Industrial Relations Systems: Theory and Evidence. in Globalization, Labour Management Relations in South Asia. New Delhi: ILO-SAAT and IIRA, 2000. C S Venkataratnam, A Sivananthiran.
- Basu Sharma, Anil Verma, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. Asian Growth Triangles. in Business Networks, Production Clusters, and Industrial Districts: Making the Most of Complexity. Berlin, Germany: Walter de Gruyter, 1996. Udo Staber, Norm Schaefer, Basu Sharma.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. Industrialization Strategies and Industrial Relations Policy in Malaysia. in Industrialization and Labor Relations: Contemporary Research in Seven Countries. Ithaca NY, United States: ILR Press, 1996. Stephen Frenkel, Jeffrey Harrod.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ponniah Arudsothy. 1995. Economic Development, National Industrial Relations Policies, and Workplace IR/HR Practices in Malaysia. in Industrial Relations and Human resource Management in an Era of Global Markets: An Asia-Pacific Perspective. New York NY, United States: Routledge, 1995. Thomas A Kochan, Anil Verma, Russell Lansbury.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1995. The Linkages between Industrialization Strategies, National Industrial Relations Policies, and Workplace IR/HR Policies in Southeast Asia. in Comparative Political Economy of Industrial Relations. Industrial Relations Research Association, 1995. Kerstin Wever, Lowell Turner.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Adam Pagnucco. 1994. NAFTA, AFTA, and Industrial Relations in ASEAN. in Regional Integration and Industrial Relations in North America. Ithaca NY, United States: Institute for Collective Bargaining, 1994. Harry Katz, Maria L Cook. (233-254)
- Harry Katz, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Lowell Turner. 1994. Trade Unions and Collective Bargaining. in Impediments to Competitive Labor Markets: An Overview of Policy and Research Issues. World Bank, 1994.
- Christopher Erickson, Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1994. Unit Labor Cost Differentials in the EC. in National Labor, Global Capital: Societal Responses to Economic Integration in Asia, Europe and North America. Oxford University Press, 1994. Sanford M Jacoby.
- Harry Katz, Sarosh Kuruvilla, Lowell Turner. 1993. Trade Unions and Collective Bargaining: Suggestions for Emerging Democracies in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. in Double Shift: The Transformation of Work in Post-Socialist and Post-Industrial Societies. New York NY, United States: M. E. Sharpe, 1993. B Silverman et al. (187-208)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1991. The Implications of Europe 1992 for Labor Management Relations: Comment. in The Future of Industrial Relations. Ithaca NY, United States: Institute for Collective Bargaining, 1991. Harry C Katz.
- Sarosh Kuruvilla, Ariel Avgar. 2006. Review of 'Gurus, Hired Guns and Warm Bodies'. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 2006. (326-329)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2001. Review of 'Globalization and Labour Relations' edited by Peter Leisink. in British Journal of Industrial Relations. 2001. (310-313)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 2000. Review of 'Researching the World of Work: Strategies and Methods in Studying Industrial Relations' by Keith Whitfield and George Strauss. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 2000. (522-524)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1999. Review of 'Worker Rights and Labor Standards in Asia’s four new tigers: A Comparative Perspective' by Marvin Levine. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1999. (487-488)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1996. Review of 'The ILO in Africa' by Kwamina Panford. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1996. (371-372)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1993. Review of 'Comparative Industrial Relations: Contemporary Research and Theory' by Roy Adams. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1993. (737-738)
- Sarosh Kuruvilla. 1992. Review of 'Inclusive Unionism' by Jelle Visser. in Industrial and Labor Relations Review. 1992. (392-398)
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Sarosh Kuruvilla
Honors and Awards
- 1996 Outstanding Young Scholar AwArd, IRRA.