Samuel BacharachMcKelvey-Grant Professor
Director, Institute for Workplace Studies & Smithers Institute
Samuel Bacharach is the McKelvey-Grant Professor of Labor Management and the Director of the Smithers Institute. He received his BS in economics from NYU. His MS and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin.
Upon joining the Cornell faculty in 1974, he spent most of his time working on negotiation and organizational politics, publishing numerous articles and two volumes (Power and Politics in Organizations and Bargaining: Power, Tactics, and Outcome, both with Edward J. Lawler). In the 1980s he continued working on negotiation, but shifted emphasis to the study of complex organizations, with the empirical referent being schools. Besides his academic articles, he published a number of books on school management and leadership, such as Tangled Hierarchies (with Joseph Shedd) and Education Reform: Making Sense of It All.
In the late 1980s, Professor Bacharach took over the directorship of the Smithers Institute. In this role, he began working on a number of empirical studies such as: blue-collar workers in New York City, a study of New York City firefighters after 9/11, a study of transport workers in New York City, and a ten-year longitudinal study of retired workers. With his colleagues Peter Bamberger and William Sonnenstuhl he has published numerous articles on blue-collar workers, with emphasis on substance abuse in the workplace. His collaboration with Bamberger and Sonnenstuhl resulted in two books: Mutual Aid and Union Renewal: Cycles of Logics of Action and Member Assistance Programs: Labor's Role in the Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse.
For the last ten years, working in New York City, Professor Bacharach has focused on bridging theory and practice. Integrating his earlier work on politics, negotiation, and complex organizations into his studies of the workplace, he has re-examined the role of leadership. Working closely with practitioners from various fields, conducting workshops, training sessions, and open discussions, he has developed his own leadership perspective. This work culminated with the publication of Get Them on Your Side: Win Support, Convert Skeptics, and Get Results (2005) and Keep Them on Your Side: Leading and Managing for Momentum (2006). He has created a five-day leadership workshop and a series of online courses (with eCornell) based on this material.
- Dikla Segel-Karpas, Peter Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach. 2015. The Prevalence and Distribution of Aging-Friendly Human Resource Practices., International Journal of Aging . 81((1-2)):120-148. (PubMed Central:26663609 )
- Songqi Liu, Mo Wang, Peter Bamberger, Junqi Shi, Samuel Bacharach. 2015. The Dark Side of Socialization: A Longitudinal Investigation of Newcomer Alcohol Use, Academy of Management Journal . 58(2):334-355. (DOI:http://amj.aom.org/content/early/2014/03/26/amj.2013.0239.short?cited-by=yes&legid=amj;amj.2013.0239v1)
- Peter A Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach. 2014. Predicting Retirement Upon Eligibility: An Embeddedness Perspective, Human Resource Management Journal (US) . 53(1):1-22. (DOI:10.1002/hrm.21548)
- Segel Dikla, Bamberger Peter, Samuel Bacharach. 2013. Income decline and retirement wellbeing: The moderating rold of attachment, Psychology and Aging . 28(4):1098-1107. (DOI:10.1037/a0034672) (PubMed Central:24364411)
- Elena Belogolovsky, Peter A Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach. 2012. Workforce Disengagement Stressors and Retiree Alcohol Misuse: The Mediating Effects of Sleep Problems and the Moderating Effects of Gender, Human Relations . 65(6):705–728.
- Dana Vashdi, Peter A Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach. 2012. The effects of job control and situational severity on the timing of help-seeking, Journal of Occupational Health Psychology . 17(2):206-219. (DOI:10.1037/a0026858)
- Inbal Nahun-Shani, Peter A Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach. 2011. Social support and wellbeing among blue-collar workers: The conditioning effects of perceived patterns of supportive exchange, Journal of Health and Social Behavior .
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, Michal Biron. 2010. Alcohol consumption and workplace absenteeism: The moderating effect of social support, Journal of Applied Psychology . 95(2):334-348. (PubMed:20230073)
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, William Sonnenstuhl, Dana R Vashdi. 2008. Retirement and drug abuse: The conditioning role of age and retirement trajectory, Addictive Behaviors . 33:1610-1614.
- Samuel Bacharach, P Bamberger, D Vashdi, William Sonnenstuhl. 2008. Aging and drinking problems among mature adults: The moderating effects of positive alcohol expectanceies and workforce disengagement, Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs . 69(1):151-159. (PubMed:18080075)
- Samuel Bacharach, P Bamberger, E Doveh. 2008. Firefighters, critical incidents, and drinking to cope: and drinking behavior: The adaquacy of unit-level performance resources as a source of vulnerability and protection, Journal of Applied Psychology . 93(1):155-169.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, Michal Biron, Mickey Horowitz-Rozen. 2008. Perceived agency in retirement on retiree drinking behavior: The moderating effects of pre-retirement job satisfaction, Journal of Vocational Behavior . 73(3):376-386. (PubMed:19956364)
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, Dana R Vashdi, William Sonnenstuhl. 2008. Aging and drinking problems among mature adults: The moderating effects of positive alcohol expectancies and workforce disengagement, Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs . 69(1):151-159.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger. 2007. 9-11 and NYC firefighters' post-hoc union support and control climates: A context theory of the consequences of involvement in traumatic work-related events, Academy of Management Journal . 50(4):849-866.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, Valerie M McKinney. 2007. Harassing under the influence: Male drinking norms and behaviors and the gender harassment of female co-workers, Journal of Occupational Health Psychology . 12:232-250.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, Ayala Cohen, Etti Doveh. 2007. Retirement, social support and drinking behavior: A cohort analysis of males with a baseline history of problem drinking, Journal of Drug Issues . 37(3):525-548.
- Peter A Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach. 2006. Abusive supervision and subordinate problem drinking: Resistance, distress and the moderating effect of personality, Human Relations . 59(6):723-752.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, Dana R Vashdi. 2005. Diversity and homophily at work: Supportive relations among white and African-American peers, Academy of Management Journal . 48(4):619-644.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger. 2004. Diversity and the union: The effect of demographic dissimilarity on members' union attachment, Group and Organization Management . 29(3):385-418.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger. 2004. The power of labor to grieve: The impact of the workplace, labor market, and power-dependence on employee grievance filing, Industrial and Labor Relations Review . 57(4):518-539.
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, William Sonnenstuhl. 2002. Driven to drink: Managerial control, work-related risk factors and employee drinking behavior, Academy of Management Journal . 45(4):637-658.
- Peter Bamberger, Samuel Bacharach, . 2014. Retirement and the Hidden Epidemic: The Complex Link between Aging , Work Disengagement, and Substance Misuse--and What To Do About It. New York, NY, United States: Oxford University Press, 2014. (Accepted)
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, William Sonnenstuhl. 2001. Mutual Aid in Union Renewal: Cycles of Logics of Action. Ithaca, NY, United States: Cornell University Press, 2001. (200)
- Samuel Bacharach, Peter A Bamberger, William Sonnenstuhl. 1994. Member Assistance Programs: Labor's Role in the Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse. Ithaca, NY, United States: Cornell University Press, 1994.
- Samuel Bacharach, Pamela Tolbert. 1992. Research in the Sociology of Organizations: Organizational Demography and Current Research Issues. Greenwich CT, United States: JAI Press, 1992.
- Samuel Bacharach, Joseph Shedd. 1991. Tangled: Hierarchies: Teachers as Professionals and the Management of Schools. San Francisco, CA, United States: Jossey-Bass, 1991.
- Samuel Bacharach, Edward Lawler. 1981. Bargaining Power, Tactics and Outcomes. San Francisco, CA, United States: Jossey-Bass, 1981. (215)
- Samuel Bacharach, Edward Lawler. 1980. Power and Politics in Organizations. San Francisco, CA, United States: Jossey-Bass, 1980. (249)
- Edward Lawler, Samuel Bacharach. 1998. Political alignments in organizations: contextualization, mobilization and coordination. Thousand Oaks CA, United States: Sage Publications, 1998. Roderick Kramer, Margaret Neale.