Rosemary BattAlice Cook Professor of Women and Work
Chairperson of the Department of Human Resource Studies
Rosemary Batt is the Alice Hanson Cook Professor of Women and Work at the ILR School, Cornell University. She is a Professor in Human Resource Studies and International and Comparative Labor. She received her BA from Cornell University and her Ph.D. from the Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her research focuses on comparative international studies of management and employment relations, with particular attention to the impact of financialization on management and employment and the globalization and restructuring of service industries and its impact on low wage workers. She previously coordinated the Global Call Center Project/. She has written extensively on human resource practices and their effect on firm performance, the quality of jobs, and wage and employment outcomes.
Her work has appeared in such journals as the Academy of Management Journal, British Journal of Industrial Relations, the European Journal of Industrial Relations, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations, International Journal of Human Resource Management, and Personnel Psychology. She is co-author of Private Equity at Work (2014) with Eileen Appelbaum; co-editor of the Oxford Handbook on Work and Organization and co-author of The New American Workplace: Transforming Work Systems in the United States, Cornell University Press.
- Xiangmin Liu, Danielle van Jaarsveld, Rosemary Batt, Ann Frost. 2014. The Influence of Capital Structure on Strategic Human Capital: Evidence from US and Canadian Firms, . 40(2):422-448.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt, Ian Clark. 2013. Implications of Financial Capitalism for Employment Relations Research: Evidence from Breach of Trust and Implicit Contracts in Private Equity Buyouts, . 51(3):498-518.
- Rosemary Batt, Mishel Hermans. 2012. Global Human Resource Management: Bridging Strategic and Institutional Perspectives, . 31:1-52.
- Rosemary Batt, Malllika Banerjee. 2012. The Scope and Trajectory of Strategic HR Research: Evidence from American and British Journals , . 23(9-10):1739-62.
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 2012. A Primer on Private Equity at Work: Management, Employment, and Sustainability, . 55(5):5-38.
- Rosemary Batt, Alex Colvin. 2011. An Employment Systems Approach to Turnover: HR Practices, Quits, Dismissals, and Customer Satisfaction, . 54(4):696-717.
- Rosemary Batt, Hiro Nohara, Hyunji Kwon. 2010. "Employer Strategies and Wages in New Service Activities: A Comparison of Coordinated and Liberal Market Economics", . 48(2):400-435.
- Xiangmin Liu, Rosemary Batt. 2010. "How Supervisors Influence Performance: A Multi-level Study of Coaching and Group Management in Technology-mediated Services, . 63(265-298).
- Virginia Doellgast, Rosemary Batt, Ole Sorensen. 2009. Introduction: Institutional Change and Labor Market Segmentation in European Call Centers, . 15(4):1-23.
- Rosemary Batt, David Holman, Ursula Holtgrewe. 2009. "The Globalization of Service Work: Comparative Institutional Perspectives on Call Centers", . 62(4):453-88.
- Rosemary Batt, Hiro Nohara. 2009. "How Institutions and Business Strategies Affect Wages: A Cross National Study of Call Centers", . 62(4):533-52.
- Denise Rousseau, Rosemary Batt. 2007. "Global Competition's Perfect Storm: Why Business and Labor Cannot Solve their Problems Alone", . 21(2):16-23.
- Xiangmin Liu, Rosemary Batt. 2007. "The Economic Pay-offs to Informal Training in Routine Service Work, . 61(1):75-89.
- Rosemary Batt. 2004. "Who Benefits from Teams? Comparing the Outcomes for managers, Supervisors, and Workers", . 43(1):183-213.
- Rosemary Batt, Monique Valcour. 2003. "Human Resource Practices as Predictors of Work/Family Outcomes and Employee Turnover, . 42(2):189-222.
- Harry Katz, Rosemary Batt, Jeffrey Keefe. 2003. The Revitalization of the CWA: Integrating Collective Bargaining, Political Action, and Organizing, . 56(4):573-589.
- Rosemary Batt. 2002. "Managing Customer Services: Human Resource Practices, Quit Rates, and Sales Growth, . 45(3):587-597.
- Rosemary Batt, Alex Colvin, Jeffrey H Keefe. 2002. Employee Voice, Human Resource Practices, and Quit Rates: Evidence from the Telecommunications Industry, . 55(4):573-594.
- Rosemary Batt. 2001. "Explaining Wage Inequality in Telecommunications Services: Customer Segmentation, Huma Resource Practices, and Union Decline", . 54(2A):425-49.
- Rosemary Batt. 2001. "The Economics of Teams Among Technicians, . 39(1):1-25.
- Alex Colvin, Rosemary Batt, Harry Katz. 2001. How Human Resource Practices and Industrial Relations Institutions Affect Managerial Pay, . 54(4):903-934.
- Rosemary Batt. 2000. "Strategic Segmentation and Frontline Services: Matching Customers, Employees, and Human Resource Systems", . 11(3):540-61.
- Rosemary Batt. 1999. "Work Organization, Technology, and Performance in Customer Service and Sales", . 52(4):359-564.
- Kirsten Wever, Rosemary Batt, Saul Rubenstein. 1996. "Innovation in Isolation: Labor-Management Partnerships in the United States", . (Summer).
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 1995. "Worker Participation in Diverse Settings: Does the Form Affect the Outcomes?", . 33(3):353-78.
- Paul Osterman, Rosemary Batt. 1993. "Employer Centered Training for International Competitiveness", . 12(3):456-477.
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. 1993. "Policy Levers for High Performance Production Systems", .
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt. 2014. Private Equity at Work: When Wall Street Manages Main Street. NY, NY: Russell Sage Foundation, 2014.
- Rosemary Batt, Stephen Ackroyd, Paul Thompson, Pamela Tolbert. 2004. Oxford Handbook of Work and Organization. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 2015. Investors as Managers: How Private Equity Firms Manage Labor and Employment Relations . in Financial Market Developments and Labor Relations. Champaign-Urbana, Illinois: Labor and Employment Relations Associaton, 2015. Christian Weller. (Accepted)
- Eileen Appelbaum, Rosemary Batt, Jae Eun Lee. 2014. Financial Intermediaries in the United States: Development and Impact on Firms and Employment Relations. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Rosemary Batt, Eileen Appelbaum. 2012. Mondialisation, Nouveaux Acteurs Financiers et Changement Institutionnel : Réflexions Sur l'Héritage du LEST. in Travail, Compétences et Mondialisation. Les Dynamiques Sociétales en Question. Paris: Armand Colin, Coll Recherches, 2012. A. Mendez, R. Tchobanian, and A. Vion.
- Caroline Lloyd, Claudia Weinkopf, Rosemary Batt. 2010. "Restructuring Customer Service: Labor Market institutions and Call Center Workers in Europe and the United States". in Low Wages in a Wealthy World, . New York, NY: Russell Sage Foundation, 2010. Gerhard Bosch, Jerome Gautie, Geoff Mason, Ken Mayhew, Wiemer Salverda, John Schmitt, and Niels Westergaard-Nielsen.. (421-466)
- Rosemary Batt. 2007. "Service Strategies: Marketing, Operations, and Human Resource Practices". in The Oxford Handbook of Human Resource Management. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007. Peter Boxall, John Purcell, and Patrick Wright.
- Rosemary Batt, Virginia Doellgast, Hyunji Kwon. 2006. "Service Management and Employment Systems in US and Indian Call Centers". in Brookings Trade Forum 2005: Offshoring White-collar Work - The Issues and Implications. Washington, DC: The Brookings Institution, 2006. S. Collins and L. Brainard.
- Rosemary Batt, Virginia Doellgast. 2004. "The Organization of Work". in Oxford Handbook of Work and Organization. London: Oxford University Press, 2004. S. Ackroyd, R. Batt, P. Thompson, and P. Tolbert.
- Pat Roehling, Rosemary Batt, Phyllis Moen. 2003. "Spillover". in It's About Time: Adaptive Strategies Over the Life Course. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2003. Phyllis Moen.
- Rosemary Batt, P Monique Valcour. 2003. Work-life integration: Challenges and Organizational Responses. in It’s about time: Couples and careers. Ithaca NY: Cornell University Press, 2003. P Moen. (310-331)
- Jeffrey Keefe, Rosemary Batt. 1997. "The United States". in Telecommunications: Restructuring of Work and Employment Relations Worldwide. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University ILR Press, 1997. Harry Katz.
- Lee Dyer, Thomas Kochan, Rosemary Batt. 1993. International Human Resource Studies: A Framework for Future Research. in Research Frontiers in Industrial Relations and Human Resources. Madison WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1993. D Lewin, O Mitchell, P Scherer.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Rosemary Batt
- Author Meets Critics: Private Equity at Work . Presented to LERA. Pittsburgh, PA. 2015.
- Investors as Managers: How Private Equity Firms Manage Labor and Employment Relations. Presented to Eastern Economics Association. NY, NY. 2015.
- Managing Multiple Employee Groups and Its Consequences. . Presented to Academy of Management. Philadelphia PA. 2014.
- The Restaurant Industry: Managing different occupational groups and its consequences. . Presented to LERA. Portland, Oregon. 2014.
- New Financial Actors & Employment Relations: A Comparison of Private Equity in the US & EU. Presented to LERA. Denver, Colorado. 2011.
Honors and Awards
- Invited Keynote Address. “Financial Innovation and Inequality: Challenges for Labor Research and Practice.” , International Conference of the Interuniversity Research Centre on Globalization and Work (CRIMT), HEC Montreal. 2015
- Academic Fellow Scholarly Achievement Award, Labor and Employment Relations Association. 2012
- HR Scholarly Achievement Award: Runner-Up, with Alex Colvin, Academy of Managerment. 2012
- Invited Keynote Address: The Impact of Financialization on Management and Employment Outcomes, British Sociological Association. 2012
- Invited Keynote Address. 20th Annual John Lovett Memorial Lecture, University of Limerick, Ireland. 2012
- HR Scholarly Achievement Award Finalist, Academy of Management. 2011
- Invited Keynote Address, 40th Anniversary LEST, Laboratoire Economique et Social du Travail, Centre de Recherche National de Science (LEST,CNRS), Aix-en-Provence, U. of Marseille, France. 2010
- Invited Keynote Address. “Beyond the Enterprise: Widening the Horizons of International HRM, Cardiff University, UK. 2009
- Otto Monsted Guest Professor, Danish Technical University, Copenhagen, Denmark.. 2008
- Hallsworth Visiting Professor, Manchester Business School, U. of Manchester, UK. 2008
- Invited Keynote Address. “In Search of Balance: Human Resource Studies in the 21st Century, Dutch HRM Network, Tilburg University, Netherlands. 2007
- Milton Derber Lecture, University of Illinois. 2007
- International Visiting Fellow, 2006. University of Warwick, UK, Advanced Institute of Management, Economic and Social Research Council, UK. 2006
- Invited Keynote Address: The Relevance of HR in the Global Economy, Monash University and Kings College, London. 2006
- Invited Keynote Address: The Globalization of Service Work, Manchester University, UK. 2006
- HR Scholarly Achievement Award: Best Paper in HR Studies, Acadamy of Management. 2003
- Scholar in Residence, Russell Sage Foundation. 2001
- Outstanding Young Scholar Award, Industrial Relations Research Association. 2000
- Teaching Award, General Mills Award for Best Graduate Teaching, ILR School, Cornell University. 1998
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Nomination, Cornell Inter-Fraternity Council. 1997
- Zenon and Clotilde Zannetos Ph.D. Thesis Prize for the Best Dissertation, Sloan School, MIT. 1996