M. Diane Burton
M. Diane BurtonAssociate Professor
I am an organizational sociologist interested in innovation and entrepreneurship. I study how management systems affect firms and individuals.
- Mary Diane Burton, C Beckman. 2008. Founding the Future: The Evolution of Top Management Teams from Founding to IPO, Organization Science. 19(1):3-24.
- Mary Diane Burton, C Beckman, O’Reilly. 2007. Early Teams: The Impact of Team Demography on VC Financing and Going Public, Journal of Business Venturing. 22(2):147-173.
- Mary Diane Burton, C Beckman. 2007. Leaving a Legacy: Role Imprints and Successor Turnover in Young Firms, American Sociological Review. 72:239-266.
- Mary Diane Burton, J N Baron, M T Hannan. 2001. Labor Pains: Organizational Change and Employee Turnover in Young, High-Tech Firms, American Journal of Sociology. 160(4):960-1012.
- Mary Diane Burton, M T Hannan, J N Baron. 1999. Building the Iron Cage: Determinants of Managerial Intensity in the Early Years of Organizations, American Sociological Review. 64(4):527-547.
- Mary Diane Burton, M T Hannan, J N Baron. 1999. Engineering Bureaucracy: The Genesis of Formal Policies, Positions, and Structures in High-Technology Firms, Journal of Law, Economics & Organization. 15(1):1-41.
- Mary Diane Burton, M T Hannan, J N Baron. 1996. Inertia and Change in the Early Years: Employment Relations in Young, High-Technology Firms, Industrial and Corporate Change. 5(2):503-536.
- Mary Diane Burton, J N Baron, M T Hannan. 1996. The Road Taken: The Origins and Evolution of Employment Systems in High-Tech Firms, Industrial and Corporate Change. 5(2):239-275.
- Mary Diane Burton, D B Grusky. 1992. A Quantitative History of Comparative Stratification Research, Contemporary Sociology. 21(5):623-631.
- Mary Diane Burton. 2012. Internal Labor Markets Revisited. in Economy and Society: Essays in Honor of Michael J. Piore. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2012. Paul Osterman. (Accepted)
- Christine M Beckman, Mary Diane Burton, . 2011. Bringing organizational demography back in: Time, change and structure in top management team research. in Handbook of Top Management Team Research. Edward Elgar, 2011. Mason A. Carpenter. (Accepted)
- C. B. Schoonhoven, Mary Diane Burton, P. D. Reynolds. 2009. Reconceiving the Gestation Window: Consequences of Competing Definitions of Firm Conception and Birth. in New Firm Creation in the United States: Preliminary Explorations with the PSED II Data Set. New York, NY: Spring, 2009. P.D. Reynolds and R. T. Curtin.
- Mary Diane Burton, P. C. Anderson, H. E. Aldrich. 2009. “Beyond Ownership: Rethinking Founding Team Membership. in New Firm Creation in the United States: Preliminary Explorations with the PSED II Data Set. New York, NY: Springer, 2009. P.D. Reynolds and R. T. Curtin.
- Mary Diane Burton, P Osterman. 2004. Ports and Ladders: The Nature and Relevance of Internal Labor Markets In A Changing World. in Oxford Handbook on Work and Organization. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004. P.Tolbert and R. Batt.
- Mary Diane Burton, J B Sorensen, C Beckman. 2002. Coming from Good Stock: Career Histories and New Venture Formation. in Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Oxford: JAI Press, 2002. Michael Lounsbury and Marc J. Ventresca. (229-262)
- Mary Diane Burton. 2001. The Company They Keep: Founders’ Models for Organizing New Firms. in The Entrepreneurship Dynamic: Origins of Entrepreneurship and the Evolution of Industries. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2001. C.B. Schoonhoven and E. Romanelli. (13-39)
- Mary Diane Burton. 2008. Review of Staircases or Treadmills by Chris Benner, Laura Leete and Manuel Pastor. Administrative Science Quarterly, 2008. (756-8)
- Mary Diane Burton. 2003. Review of Headhunters: Matchmaking in the Labor Market by William Finlay and James E. Coverdill. Industrial & Labor Relations Review, 2003. (555)
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Mary Burton
- Presented to Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. 2009.
- Presented to UCLA, Anderson School of Management, Policy Research Seminar; Cornell University, Johnson School, Organizations and Management Seminar, Dartmouth College, Tuck; NYU Stern School. Anaheim, CA. 2008.
- Presented to Boston College, Carroll School of Management, Winston Center for Leadership Seminar; Boston University, School of Management, Strategy & Policy Seminar; Duke University, Fuqua School, Strategy Area Seminar; MIT/Portugal Organizational Behavior Seminar, Lisbon; Ohio State University, Fischer College of Business, Management & Human Resources Seminar; Wharton Macro-HR Conference. Philadelphia, PA. 2007.
- Presented to Carnegie Mellon University, SETChange Seminar; Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Human Resources Seminar; INSEAD, Singapore, Entrepreneurship Seminar; University of Kansas, School of Business, Distinguished Scholar Seminar; University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management, Strategy. Atlanta, GA. 2006.
- Presented to University of Virginia, Darden School, Organizational Behavior; Harvard/MIT. harvard Business School. 2005.
- Presented to University of Maryland, Wharton School Center. 2005.
- Seattle, WA. 2005.
- Driving Innovation throughout the Organization. Presented to Case Western Reserve; MIT ILP. New Orleans, LA. 2004.
- New Models of Strategic HRM: An International Perspective. Presented to Cornell University. Seattle, WA. 2003.
- Initiative for Studies of Technology Entrepreneurship (INSITE) Seminar. Presented to Weinert Center for Entrepreneurship, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Denver, CO. 2002.
- Presented to Academy of Management. Washington D.C. 2001.
- Presented to Academy of Management, Wharton Management Department. Toronto, Canada. 2000.
- Presented to American Sociological Association, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. Chicago, IL. 1999.
- Presented to Academy of Management, MIT Sloan School of Management Industrial Relations Seminar. San Diego, CA. 1998.
- Presented to Academy of Management. Cincinnati, OH. 1996.
- Presented to Haas School of Business, University of California. Berkeley, CA. 1995.
- Los Angeles, CA, Atlanta, GA. 1994.
- Asilomar, CA. 1993.
- Presented to American Sociological Association. Chicago, IL. 1987.
Honors and Awards
- Fred Kayne (1960) Career Development Professorship, MIT Sloan School. 2005
- Ray Stata Outstanding Contributor, Center for Quality of Management, Cambridge, MA. 2003
- Michael M. Koerner ’49 Career Development Professorship, MIT Sloan School. 2001
- Class of 1961 Fellow, Harvard Business School, Harvard University. 1999
- Cilker Teaching Award, Department of Sociology, Stanford University. 1993
- Stanford University Fellowship, Department of Sociology, Stanford University. 1989
- Edith Alexander Award for Best Undergraduate Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University. 1987
- Vira I. Heinz Travel Study Award, Carnegie Mellon University. 1986