Kati GriffithAssociate Professor of Labor and Employment Law
Professor Griffith is Associate Professor of Labor & Employment Law at Cornell's ILR School and a Research Fellow affiliated with NYU’s Center for Labor & Employment Law. Griffith's scholarship focuses primarily on the intersection of immigration and workplace law at the subfederal, federal and international levels. She has published in both social science and legal journals and is a co-author (along with Michael Harper and Samuel Estreicher) of the textbook Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems, 8th Edition (Walters Kluwer). She teaches courses on labor & employment law, immigration law and legal issues affecting low-wage and contingent workforces. She has twice received a Cornell ILR MacIntyre Award for Exemplary Teaching and was selected by a Merrill Presidential Scholar in 2010 as the faculty member who had the most positive influence on his education at Cornell University.
Griffith joined Cornell’s ILR faculty in the Fall of 2007 after completing a Skadden Fellowship as a Staff Attorney at the Workers’ Rights Law Center of New York, Inc. in New York’s Hudson Valley. Prior to the Skadden Fellowship, Griffith served as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Rosemary S. Pooler in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She is a cum laude graduate of NYU School of Law, where she was a Root Tilden Public Interest Scholar, received the Sol D. Kapelsohn Prize for highest excellence in writing in the field of labor law and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the N.Y.U. Review of Law and Social Change. Before earning her J.D. from NYU, Griffith conducted research on women workers and labor law in Mexico as a Rotary Scholar and in El Salvador as a Fulbright Scholar.
- Kati Griffith. 2017. The Power of A Presumption: California as a Laboratory for Unauthorized Immigrant Workers' Rights, UC Davis Law Review . 50(3).
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Worker Centers and Labor Law Protections: Why Aren’t They Having Their Cake?, Berkeley Journal of Labor & Employment Law . 36(331).
- Kati Griffith. 2014. When Federal Immigration Exclusion Meets Subfederal Workplace Inclusion: A 'Forensic' Approach to Legislative History, NYU Journal of Legislation and Public Policy . 17(881).
- Kati Griffith, Lee Tamara, . 2012. Immigration Advocacy as Labor Advocacy, Berkeley Journal of Employment & Labor Law . 33:73.
- Kati Griffith. 2012. Undocumented Workers: Crossing the Borders of Immigration and Workplace Law, Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy . 21:611.
- Kati Griffith. 2011. ICE Was Not Meant To Be Cold: The Case For Civil Rights Monitoring of Immigration Enforcement at the Workplace, Arizona Law Review . 53(1137).
- Kati Griffith. 2011. Discovering “Immployment” Law: The Constitutionality of Local Immigration Regulation at Work , Yale Law & Policy Review . 29(389).
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "The NLRA's Defamation Defense: Doomed Dinosaur or Diamond in the Rough?", American University Law Review . 59:1.
- Kati Griffith. 2009. "U.S. Migrant Worker Law: The Interstices of Immigration Law and Labor & Employment Law", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 31:125.
- Kati Griffith. 2008. "Globalizing U.S. Employment Statutes Through Foreign Law Influence: Mexico's Foreign Employer Provision and Recruited Mexican Workers", Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal . 29:383-425.
- Kati Griffith. 2008. A Supreme Stretch: The Supremacy Clause in the Wake of IRCA and Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Cornell International Law Journal . 41:115.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Cases, Materials, and Problems (8th Edition). 2015.
- Michael Harper, Samuel Estreicher, Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law: Selected Statutes, Forms and Agreements (8th Edition). 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2016. Introduction: Who is an Employee and Who is the Employer?. 2016.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Cross-border Labor law. 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2015. Labor Law and Immigration. 2015.
- Kati Griffith. 2014. Laborers or Criminals?: The Impact of Crimmigration on Labor Standards Enforcement. Carolina Academic Press, 2014.