Devon ProudfootAssistant Professor
Devon Proudfoot is an Assistant Professor of Human Resource Studies in the ILR School at Cornell University. Her research examines stereotyping and inequality, creativity judgments, and motivational underpinnings of organizational attitudes and behavior. She is particularly interested in understanding how organizational contexts, cultures, and practices may create biases in evaluations of members of historically underrepresented groups, such as women and racial/ethnic minorities, and the impact of these biases on minorities’ access to organizational resources and rewards. Her work has been published in journals such as Psychological Science, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, and Research in Organizational Behavior.
Prior to joining the faculty at Cornell, Devon completed her PhD in Management and Organizations at Duke University. She also holds a MSc In Social Psychology from the London School of Economics and Political Science and a BA in Psychology from McGill University.
- Min B. Kay, Devon Proudfoot, Richard P. Larrick. 2017. There’s No Team in I: How observers perceive individual creativity in a team setting., Journal of Applied Psychology . (DOI:10.1037/apl0000270)
- Sean Fath, Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay. . Effective to a Fault: Organizational structure predicts attitudes toward minority organizations., Journal of Experimental Social Psychology . (DOI:10.1016/j.jesp.2017.10.003)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay, Heather Mann. 2015. Motivated employee blindness: The impact of labor market instability on judgment of organizational inefficiencies, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes . 130:108-122. (DOI:10.1016/j.obhdp.2015.06.008)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay, Christy Z. Koval. 2015. A Gender Bias in the Attribution of Creativity: Archival and Experimental Evidence for the Perceived Association Between Masculinity and Creative Thinking, Psychological Science . 26(11):1751-1761. (DOI:10.1177/0956797615598739)
- Devon Proudfoot, Aaron C. Kay. 2014. System justification in organizational contexts: How a Motivated preference for the status quo can affect organizational attitudes and behaviors, . 34:173-187. (DOI:10.1016/j.riob.2014.03.001)
- Kristin Laurin, Aaron C. Kay, Devon Proudfoot, Gavan J. Fitzsimons. 2013. Response to restrictive policies: Reconciling system justification and psychological reactance, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes . 122(2):152-162. (DOI:10.1016/j.obhdp.2013.06.004)
- Devon Proudfoot, E. Allan Lind. 2014. Fairness Heuristic Theory, the Uncertainty Management Model, and Fairness at Work.. in Oxford Handbook of Justice in Work Organizations . Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2014. M. Ambrose & R. Cropanzano. (371 – 385)
- Steven Shepherd, Devon Proudfoot. . System Justification. in The SAGE Encyclopedia of Political Behavior. F. M. Moghaddam .
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, GDO Division, Academy of Management . 2015
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, GDO Division, Academy of Management . 2014