Bradford BellAssociate Professor
Bradford S. Bell is an Associate Professor of Human Resource Studies and Director of Executive Education in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University. He received his B.A. in Psychology from the University of Maryland at College Park and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology from Michigan State University. Dr. Bell teaches courses in Human Resource Management, Training and Development, and Work Groups and Teams to graduate and undergraduate students. Dr. Bell worked in the management and organization development department of First USA Bank/Banc One and has worked as an HR consultant for multiple private and public firms. Dr. Bell is a member of the Academy of Management, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, American Society for Training and Development, and the Society for Human Resource Management.
Dr. Bell's research interests include training and development and team development and effectiveness. His research has appeared in a number of journals, including the Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Human Resource Management, Academy of Management Learning & Education, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Group and Organization Management, and the International Journal of Selection and Assessment. In addition, Dr. Bell has published numerous chapters that have appeared in edited research volumes and presents regularly at conferences, including the Academy of Management and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Dr. Bell was awarded the Early Career Achievement Award by the HR Division of the Academy of Management in 2008 and he currently serves as the Editor of Personnel Psychology.
- A Kanar, Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. . Changing Applicants’ Unfavorable Employer Reputation Perceptions: The Moderating Role of Employer Familiarity, Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Adam A Kanar, Christopher Collins, Bradford Bell. 2010. A comparison of the effects of positive and negative information on job seekers’ organizational attraction and attribute recall, Human Performance. 23(3):193-212.
- Traci Sitzmann, Katherine Ely, Bradford Bell, Kristina Bauer. 2010. The effects of technical difficulties on learning and attrition during online training, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied. 16(3):281-292.
- Bradford Bell, Jessica Federman. 2010. Self-assessments of knowledge: Where do we go from here?, Academy of Mgmt Learning & Education. 9(2):342-347.
- Matthew J Pearsall, Aleksander PJ Ellis, Bradford Bell. 2010. Building the infrastructure: The effects of role identification behaviors on team cognition development and performance, Journal of Applied Psychology. 95(1):192-200.
- Traci Sitzmann, Bradford Bell, Kurt Kraiger, Adam M Kanar. 2009. A multilevel analysis of the effects of prompting self-regulation in technology-based instruction, Personnel Psychology. 62(4):697-734.
- Bradford Bell, Adam M Kanar, Steve WJ Kozlowski. 2008. Current issues and future directions in simulation-based training, International Journal of Human Resources Management. 19(8):1416-1434.
- Bradford Bell, Steve WJ Kozlowski. 2008. Active learning: Effects of core training design elements on self-regulatory processes, learning, and adaptability, Journal of Applied Psychology. 93(2):296-316.
- Bradford Bell, J Kevin Ford. 2007. Reactions to skill assessment: The forgotten factor in explaining motivation to learn, Human Resource Development Quarterly. 18(1):33-62.
- Bradford Bell, Lee Sae-Won, Sarah K Yeung. 2006. The impact of eHR on professional competence in HRM: Implications for the development of HR professionals, Human Resource Management Journal (US). 45(3):295-308.
- Steve W J Kozlowski, Bradford Bell. 2006. Disentangling achievement orientation and goal setting: Effects on self-regulatory processes, Journal of Applied Psychology. 91(4):900-916.
- Bradford Bell, Darin Wiechmann, Ann Marie Ryan. 2006. Consequences of organizational justice expectations in a selection system, Journal of Applied Psychology. 91(2):455-466.
- Aleksander P J Ellis, Bradford Bell, Robert E Ployhart, John R Hollenbeck, Daniel R Ilgen. 2005. An evaluation of generic teamwork skills training with action teams: Effects on cognitive and skill-based outcomes, Personnel Psychology. 58(3):641-672.
- Bradford Bell, Ann Marie Ryan, Darin Wiechmann. 2004. Justice expectations and applicant perceptions, International Journal of Selection and Assessment. 12(1-2):24-38.
- Bradford Bell, Steve W J Kozlowski. 2002. Adaptive guidance: Enhancing self-regulation, knowledge, and performance in technology-based training, Personnel Psychology. 55(2):267-306.
- Bradford Bell, Steve W J Kozlowski. 2002. Goal orientation and ability: Interactive effects on self-efficacy, performance, and knowledge, Journal of Applied Psychology. 87(3):497-505.
- Bradford Bell, Steve W J Kozlowski. 2002. A typology of virtual teams: Implications for effective leadership, Group and Organization Management. 27(1):14-49.
- Bradford Bell, Daniel R Ilgen. 2001. Informed consent and dual purpose research, American Psychologist. 56(12):1177.
- Bradford Bell, Steve W J Kozlowski, R J Toney, M E Mullins, D A Weissbein, K G Brown. 2001. Developing adaptability: A theory for the design of integrated-embedded training systems, Advances in Human Performance and Cognitive Engineering Research. 1:59-124.
- Bradford Bell, K J Klein. 2001. Effects of disability, gender, and job level on ratings of job applicants, Rehabilitation Psychology. 46(3):229-246.
- Steve WJ Kozlowski, Bradford Bell. 2013. Work groups and teams in organizations. in Handbook of Psychology: Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2013. N. Schmitt & S. Highhouse. (412-469)(Published)(Book Chapter)
- Bradford Bell, Steve WJ Kozlowski. 2009. Toward a theory of learner centered training design: An integrative framework of active learning. in Learning, training, and development in organizations. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2009. SWJ Kozlowski and E Salas. (263-300)(Published)(Book Chapter)
- Steve WJ Kozlowski, Bradford Bell. 2008. Team learning, development, and adaptation.. in Work Group Learning. Mahwah, NJ: LEA, 2008. VI Sessa and M London. (15-44)(Published)(Book Chapter)
- Quinetta M Roberson, Bradford Bell, Shanette C Porter. 2008. The language of bias: A linguistic approach to understanding intergroup relations. in Research in Managing Groups and Teams: Diversity & Groups. Bingley: Emerald, 2008. K. Phillips. (267-294)(Published)(Book Chapter)
- Bradford Bell, Steve W J Kozlowski. 2007. A theory-based approach for designing distributed learning systems. in Toward a science of distributed learning. Washington, DC: APA, 2007. (Published)(Book Chapter)
- Bradford Bell, Steve W J Kozlowski. 2007. Advances in technology-based training. in Managing human resources in North America : current issues and perspectives. Oxford: Routledge, 2007. (Published)(Book Chapter)
- Aleksander P J Ellis, Bradford Bell. 2006. Capacity, collaboration, and commonality: A framework for understanding team learning. in Understanding teams: A volume in research in management. Charlotte NC: Information Age, 2006. Linda L Neider, Chester A Schriesheim. (Published)(Book Chapter)
- Matthew Pearsall, Aleksander PJ Ellis, Bradford Bell. 2008. Slippage in the system: The Effects of errors in transactive memory behavior on team performance. Briarcliff Manor, NY: Academy of Management, 2008. (Published)(Conference Proceeding)
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Bradford Bell