Melissa Ruiz Hernandez
• Created an official Community Schools “Best Practices Guide” for Say Yes and Buffalo Public Schools.
• Collaborated with the Community Schools Director to collect and synthesize data for the Best Practices Guide.
• Researched effective Community Schools programs nationally and summarized them into narrative pieces.
• Completed West Side Promise Neighborhood Leadership Program and received certification in facilitation training, use of public data and financial planning.
• Worked with another fellow to initiate communication between Community Schools Parent Centers and the Center for Employment Opportunities.BUFFALO HIGHLIGHT
Exploring the city and going to all the different art museums, meeting people from Buffalo, visiting Niagara Falls, eating mochi and sushi for the first time, and Taste of Buffalo.PROGRAM HIGHLIGHT
Doing detours with other fellows, African American Heritage Corridor, WSPN Leadership Program, watching movies and Tamara taking us to Sonic at 12AM.INTERESTS
Empowering youth through a holistic approach to education, discussing politics and current events with others. Finding inspiration for photos and art.CONVENTIONAL AND UNCONVENTIONAL SKILLS
Research and data analysis, project creation and management, translation, group facilitation, being able to sleep no matter how much coffee I drink.BLOG POST