Steward Update newsletter, published six times a year by Union Communication Services (UCS) at The Worker Institute, upgrades union stewards' skills and rewards them for their efforts on behalf of the union. Every issue is packed with new, helpful information and advice.
Some of our most popular topics
- How to deal with a difficult boss or co-worker
- How to investigate a grievance
- How to defend against gripes about union dues
Some typical articles include:
- Getting members to help out
- Seven ways to lose a winning grievance
- The union steward's 10 commandments
- Rallying members to the union's cause
- The best labor movies and music
- Union Stewards as leaders
- Assertive grievance presentation
Build the skills of your rank and file
Nearly 2,000 local unions across North America currently subscribe on behalf of more than 80,000 union stewards. It's an easy, inexpensive way to give your rank-and-file leaders the skills and counsel they need—and make them more effective advocates for the union.
Subscribing unions receive a new edition every 60 days. There is a 20-copy minimum order. Each union steward receives his or her own copy. A Spanish-language edition is available. Steward Update has been published since 1989.
In addition, stewards of subscribing unions also are eligible to receive—at no additional cost—a Weekly Steward emailing that reinforces the material in the print newsletter and also contains other educational and fun items ranging from cartoons to labor history to reviews of helpful books and much, much more.