Renmin University of China (RUC) is the first comprehensive research university established by the People’s Republic of China. RUC initially began as Shanbei Public School in 1937 and gradually evolved into one of the most prestigious research universities in China in 1950. Today RUC specializes in the study of the humanities and the social sciences.
The ILR-RUC semester exchange is with the Renmin Business School (RBS). RBS has the longest history of management education in China, and it is one of the first institutes to offer an MBA in China. Its Business Administration ranked No. 1 in the national assessment of academic disciplines by the Ministry of Education, and RBS is one of the few business schools in China to have EQUIS and AACSB accreditation.
Program Terms and Dates
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
*Exact dates to be confirmed by Renmin Business School
Courses and Credits
RBS consists of seven departments: Finance, Management Science and Engineering, Accounting, Trade Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Organization and Human Resources. Students may take courses offered in English across departments, including some courses taught in English through the School of International Studies, and all students must take one course in Mandarin language study.
- Students must enroll in a full course load while abroad (equivalent to 15 credit hours per semester).
- Students must take one course in Mandarin language study.
- Students can earn up to 15 ILR elective credits per semester.
- Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
Tuition and Other Costs
- This exchange program is tuition-neutral (students pay regular tuition to the ILR School).
- Financial aid would apply; if you are currently receiving financial aid, your package would be adjusted based on your determined level of need and the projected costs of the program.
- ILR exchange students are responsible for the following expenses: passport, visa, airfare, room and board, transportation, course fees (if applicable), books, and personal expenses.
ILR undergraduate students interested in expanding their academic and business knowledge of China and interested in studying Mandarin language at any level. In addition, ILR undergraduate students must
- have junior or senior standing;
- have all ILR core requirements completed;
- be in good standing with the ILR School and the University; and
- have a 3.0 GPA.
Note: Because the RBS Exchange is a unique cross-cultural opportunity, ILR students who graduated from high school in China are not eligible for the program.
How to Apply
Application deadline for Spring 2019 study: September, 30th, 2018, by midnight.
1. Make an appointment.
Interested students must meet with Tamara Ingram, Assistant Director ILR International Programs, to discuss plans and eligibility. To make an appointment, e-mail: email@example.com.
2. Complete online application (for Spring 2019 study).
You must log in with your NetID and password to access the application.
Please note that you can only apply the semester prior to your intended semester abroad.