Choose your Class
Effective March 16, 2020, the educational programs scheduled to be delivered at our New York City facility will be moved to virtual delivery, where possible, or rescheduled. For those programs that do not lend themselves to a distance-education format, we will postpone them until we receive guidance from the University and public health officials that it is safe to hold those programs in-person. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We will provide updates as they become available from the University.
Schedule & Details
Today’s business professionals work in complex, demanding and resource-constrained environments. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of HR practitioners, established leadership practices continue to assume organizations operate like machines, that change can be planned and executed by leaders at the top, and that the role of HR is to find a fast solution to every organizational problem.
The challenge for today’s HR professionals is to help leaders shake off traditional mental models and learn more effective approaches that foster self-organization, innovation and emergent change. In concert with this, HR practitioners must “tune up” their own diagnostic skills, understanding that their ability to listen and bring awareness to a situation may be the most powerful instrument they have to offer in helping their clients navigate rapid, dynamic change.
This interactive program offers fresh perspectives and approaches to HR consulting in a complex and rapidly changing world. Participants will refresh their skills as HR professionals, learn from their collective experiences and successes, and take away new perspectives, methods and tools that will enhance their impact as HR practitioners.
- Learn a flexible consulting model that improves diagnostic capability and enables innovation and adaptive change.
- Develop the role of trusted advisor, able to "think with" not "think for" business clients.
- Recognize outdated habits of thought and experiment with new solutions to complex problems.
- Diagnose the root causes of problems and avoid "ready, fire, aim" solutions.
- Build strong partnerships with clients that enhance their ability to find suitable solutions.
- Design more effective and creative HR strategies and interventions.
- Experience a safe practice field to apply the consulting model and tools to real business issues.
- Focus on small wins that create sustainable change.
- Apply skills and tools to influence change within organizations, including:
- Responding immediately to emergent opportunities for change
- Recognizing and leveraging dynamic tensions and resistance
- Using dialogue and inquiry to explore challenges and difficult topics
- Fostering people's natural ability to self-organization and innovate
Approach and Features
This highly-experiential two-day workshop includes individual self-reflection, small group practice application, and facilitated large-group discussion. The workshop culminates in a whole-group interactive case study.