Required Courses6 Focused WorkshopsRegister for individual workshops to fit your schedule
Time to Complete3 monthsTime participants have to complete the entire certificate program
Working in a unionized environment requires a full understanding of contract terms, legal principles, and grievance procedures. Whether you manage staff and operations, work in HR or represent employees, this interactive certificate program will help you build on your skills to effectively administer labor agreements.
Throughout this live virtual course experience you will build on your skills, moving from grasping the key components of labor law to interpreting and writing contract language to understanding the core principles of conflict resolution and employee discipline. As the program concludes, you will practice investigating workplace complaints, handling grievances, and assisting advocates with arbitration.
You will have ample opportunity to practice your skills using case-based scenarios in a small group setting. Class sizes are limited to ensure full participation and mentoring in small group activities and simulations. Courses in this program consist of multiple synchronous sessions per week with assignments in between sessions.
This program assumes you have had previous exposure to basic concepts in Labor Relations.
Key Certificate Takeaways
- Advise management on labor relations
- Understand what constitutes unfair labor practices
- Respond to disciplinary problems effectively and appropriately to resolve conflicts
- Understand the principles of just cause and progressive discipline
- Write and interpret contract language
- Plan and execute key steps of employee investigations
- Learn the strategies and skills necessary to navigate the labor-management relationship
- Manage the grievance process
- Analyze standards and evidence used in arbitrations involving major misconduct offenses, including scrutiny of the employer’s investigation
Who Should Enroll
- Union leaders
- HR and labor relations professionals
- Managers and executives working in a union environment