The MPS degree is designed to meet the demands of experienced professionals from a broad range of careers who seek an intellectual challenge and a distinguished credential. Prospective students might be working in human resources, labor relations, the labor movement, law, or consulting, as corporate recruiters, public sector managers, or as senior administrators of nonprofit organizations.
MPS students bring a diversity of perspectives that makes for a rigorous and provocative learning environment, but they share a determination to take on the critical issues that impact today’s employment relationships and the ever-changing world of work.
The MPS program brings the academic excellence of Cornell University’s ILR School to the dynamic activity of New York City’s working world. MPS students have ranged in age from 24-65, and many enter having previously earned advanced degrees in areas such as business administration, law, psychology, or education. They have come from all five boroughs of New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, and beyond. The admissions committee looks for applicants with a strong academic background as well as a proven record of relevant work and life experience. Admissions decisions are made by informed judgment, not formulas.
Student Testimonial - John Frinzi '21
Student Testimonial - Asha Seebalack '22
Student Testimonial - Dan Fast '20
Examples of the professional backgrounds of MPS students include:
- Associate Director, Diversity & People Development, Time, Inc.
- VP, Head Start Programs, ICF International
- HR Business Partner, Nuveen Investments
- Learning & Development Operations Specialist, Federal Reserve Bank of NY
- Director of Empowerment Services, Riseboro Community Partnership
- Global Project Manager, Deutsche Bank Securities
- VP, HR & Org. Development, ValleyCare Health System
- Director of Procurement Initiatives, NYC Small Business Services
- Policy Analyst for NYS Senator
- Director, Integrated Financial Operations, NBC Universal
- Regional Program Director, Center for Labor Solidarity, AFL-CIO
- HR Generalist, The Museum of Modern Art
- Senior Consultant, CGI
- Field Representative, New Jersey Education Association (NJEA)
- Talent Acquisition Specialist, NYC Langone
- Strategic Analysis Team Lead, NYC Dept. of Education
- Manager of Labor Relations, Live Nation
- Business Improvement Manager, Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- Investigator/Attorney, EEO, NYC Transit
- VP for Global Contingent Labor Operations, Morgan Stanley
- Manager, Audit Resource Management, KPMG
- Director of Sales, Empire Merchants
- Marketing Manager, Asia Pacific, Boston Consulting Group
- Manager of Operations, United Illuminating Company