Effective Employee Resource Groups (DV120)
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs/Affinity Groups) have emerged in the workplace as a standard component of diversity and inclusion initiatives. For many organizations, the benefits of ERGs have evolved over time from the primary intent—to provide a forum in which members of an organization who share common interests, issues, or concerns meet to address those issues—to multifaceted benefits that impact the organization's strategic diversity and inclusion efforts in recruitment, retention, mentoring, leadership development, marketing, customer relations and the bottom line.
- Fundamentals of ERGs from establishing to evolution into Business Resource Groups (BRGs)
- Best practices to follow for ERGs
- Tactical characteristics common among high-functioning ERGs
Approach and Features
Leave this one-day workshop with an invaluable resource for managing ERGs. The methodology of this program includes pertinent content and materials, assessment and discussion. Additional resources are provided on best practices and an ERG whitepaper.
- Core competencies of effective ERGs
- Drivers of successful ERGs
- Strategic approach to ERG formation and governance
- ERBS mission and goals
- Setting expectations for ERGs
- Building an effective ERG team and allies
- Connectivity with diversity councils
- Leadership responsibilities
- Functioning as a productive member
- Sustaining and energizing ERB membership
- Methods of assessing effectiveness of ERGs in the long- and short-term
Who Will Benefit
Diversity and Inclusion professionals, members of ERGs, EEO, AA, HR and other professionals with responsibilities relating to diversity and inclusion or creating ERGs.
See more workshops on Diversity and Inclusion.
David Ciliberto, Founder, David Ciliberto Enterprises, is an independent human resources consultant with over 25 years of experience in human resources. Mr. Ciliberto focuses on diversity and inclusion, learning and development, management coaching and career transition. Throughout his years in HR, he has developed, designed and facilitated training programs around diversity and inclusion, ERG leadership, team building, supervisory, leadership and talent acquisition. He has held roles at financial services firms including UBS, Credit Suisse, HSBC, The Prudential and American Express. While at UBS, he ran D&I for the America’s supporting the Executive D&I Council and all ERGs. Additionally, Mr. Ciliberto has consulted with and has done speaking engagements for ION Media, Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC nonprofit) The Howard Center, VT, CUNY, Montclair State University. Mr. Ciliberto also consults with Jennifer Brown Consulting supporting her clients around D&I Strategy, D&I Councils and ERGs. In addition to his Adjunct Instructor role at Cornell ILR, he works part time at Partners International as the SVP of Client Services and Career Transition.