Thomas GoldenExecutive Director, K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Institute on Employment and Disability
Thomas P. Golden, Ed.D., C.R.C. is the Executive Director of the K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Institute on Employment and Disability and on teaching faculty in the Disability Studies sequence in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University. Since joining faculty in 1991 his research ,scholarship, publication and teaching has focused on domestic and global disability policy; social insurance and return to work; adult transition planning for youth with disabilities; and organizational change as it relates to full community inclusion and membership.
In the disability studies sequences in the ILR School, Thomas has taught and continues to teach several courses, including: ILR LR 4023 Disability Employment Policy; ILR LR 4033 Disability Law; ILR LR 1200 Introduction to Disability Studies; ILR IC 4306 Global Comparative Disability Policy; and online versions of ILR IC 4360 and ILR LR 4023. His coursework focuses primarily on bridging the policy to practice gap as it relates to employment and disability for individuals with disabilities.
Thomas' current reseach portofilio focuses in three primary areas related to sponsored efforts within EDI. The first is a $32.5 million dollar research demonstration testing innovations that lead to effective adult living, learning and earning outcomes for youth with disabilities who receive Supplemental Secuity Income. The second area is focused on institutional theory and change as it relates to the transformation of segregated work setting for individuals with disabilities. Finally, under the NYS CASE initiative, Thomas is currently conducting collaborative research with Rene Kizilcec fro Computing and Information Science focused on motivational strategies and behaviors in professional development programs.
Thomas continues to provide organizational development and consultation services to the workforce development and vocational rehabilitation system under a variety of fee-for-service contracts. In addition he recently concluded serving on the Dean's Search Committee, as well as serving as faculty advisor to the Mock Trial Association at Cornell. He currently sits on a the Technical Advisory Group for US Department of Labor focused on employment strategies for youth receiving SSI, is a member of the Center for Economic Growth Advisory Group at the World Institute on Disability, and was recently appointed as a Title IX Hearing Panel member at Cornell.
- Arun Karpur, David R Brewer, Thomas P Golden. . Critical program elements in transition to adulthood: Comparative analysis of New York State and the NLTS2, Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals . xx(x):1-12. (DOI:10.1177/2165143413476880)
- Thomas P Golden, Andrew KArhan . . Meeting the youth priorities of WIOA: Are vocational rehabilitation service providers ready?, .
- Thomas P Golden, Podolec Michelle, . 2019. Employing communities of practice to re-calibrate context for systems and organizational learning: Centering practices to improve youth post-school outcomes through NYS PROMISE, Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation . 51(2):115-127.
- Thomas P Golden, Catherine A Anderson. 2019. Improving post-school living, learning and earning outcomes of youth who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Findings and recommendations from six national PROMISE demonstration sites, Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation . 51(2):111-115.
- Thomas P Golden, Susanne Marie Bruyere, Arun Karpur, Zafar Nazarov, Sara VanLooy. 2012. Workforce development policy: Unrealized potential for Americans with Disabilities., Journal of Rehabilitation Policy . 26(1):5-18.
- Thomas P Golden, M Jones. 2002. How the Social Security Administration Supports the Postsecondary Education Outcomes of Students with Disabilities, IMPACT: Feature Issue on the Social Security Administration and Transition . 14(4).
- Thomas P Golden, M Jones. 2002. How the Social Security Administration Supports the Postsecondary Education Outcomes of Students with Disabilities, Impact . 14(4).
- Thomas P Golden, M A Jones. 2002. SSI and Postsecondary Education Support for students with disabilities, Impact (Newsletter of the Institute on Community Integration) . 15(1).
- Thomas P Golden, S O’Mara, C Ferrell, J Sheldon. 2000. A theoretical construct for benefits planning and assistance in the Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999, Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation . 14(3).
- Thomas P Golden. 1999. Participation in Vocational Rehabilitation Programs...moving toward independence, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling . 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden, S O’Mara, J Czechowicz. 1999. Plans for Achieving Self-Support: An improved tool for self-directed vocational rehabilitation, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling . 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden. 1999. Promoting Career Development and Pursuit of Employment, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling . 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden. 1999. Utilizing the Work Incentive Provisions of the Social Security Act, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling . 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden, S A Smith, J H Golden. 1993. A Review of Current Strategies, Trends, and Consumer Perceptions for the Enhancement of Vocational Outcomes Following Brain Injury, Journal of Rehabilitation . 59(4):55-60.
- D Degelman, Thomas P Golden, J Blackburn. 1986. The Effect of Short Term Logo Experience On Concept Learning in Preschool Children, The Journal of Educational Computing Research . 2
- Raymond Adam Cebula III, Thomas P Golden. . Mapping a path to work. (Accepted)
- Matt Saleh, Thomas P Golden, Ellice Switzer. 2019. U.S. employment and disability policy framework: Competing legislative priorities, challenges and strategies.. in Employment and Disability: Issues, Innovations and Opportunities. Champaign, IL, US: Labor and Employment Relations Association, 2019. Susanne M. Bruyere. (13-33)
- Thomas P Golden, Kelly Clark, Fowler H Catherine. 2019. Youth with Disabilities: A Human Resource for the 21st Century Workforce. in LERA. LERA, 2019. Susanne M. Bruyere. (183-205)(Accepted)
- Ed Lopez-Soto, Thomas P Golden. 2010. Medicaid & Work: Keeping Your Medicaid While You Work. Ithaca, New York, United States: Employment and Disability Institute, Cornell University, 2010.
- Ed Lopez-Soto, Thomas P Golden. 2010. Ticket to Work: Choosing the Right Employment Network . Ithaca, New York, United States: Employment and Disability Institute, Cornell University, 2010.
- Ed Lopez-Soto, Thomas P Golden. 2010. Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Calculating the Impact of Earnings on Benefits Supplemental Security Income . Ithaca, New York, United States: Employment and Disability Institute, Cornell University, 2010.
- Just In Time Toolkit for Working Effectively with Youth Who Receive SSI. Presented to YTAC. 2019.
- Just In Time Toolkit for Working Effectively with Youth Who Receive SSDI. Presented to YTAC. 2019.
- Managing the Complexity of Transition Planning. Presented to Autism Speaks. Washington, DC. 2019.
- Engaging SSI Recipients and Families in Transition Planning Practices. Presented to US Department of Education. Arlington, VA. 2019.
- Tools to Support Return to Work for SSI Recipients and SSDI Beneficiaries. Presented to NYS APSE. Lake, Placid NY. 2019.
- Improving the Trajectories for Youth with Disabilities and Families Living in Poverty:Systems Change in 11 PROMISE States. Presented to U.S. Department of Education - Social Security Administration. Washington D.C.. 2019.
- Taxonomy for Critical Case Management for Youth Receiving SSI. Presented to DADD. Maui, HI. 2019.
- Collaborative Partnerships That Work in Supporting Student Transitions to Adulthood. Presented to OSEP. Washington D.C.. 2018.
- PROMISE Idol: Creating Bridges to Future Success. Presented to PROMISE. Saratoga Springs, NY. 2018.
- Leveraging SEction 503 Regulations to Advance Employment Opportunities with Federal Contractors and Subcontractors. Presented to CANAR. Online. 2015.
- Tools to Support Effective Work Outcomes for SSI/DI Beneficiaries. Presented to NJ APSE. Piscataway NJ. 2015.
- Leading Organizational Transformation. Presented to NJ APSE. Piscataway NY. 2015.
- Managing Overpayments. Presented to NYSED. Distance learning. 2015.
- Organizational Transformation and Continuous Quality Improvement Through Organizational Assessment. Presented to Jewish Vocaitonal Services. Piscataway NJ. 2014.
- Leveraging Section 503 to Advance Employment Opportunities. Presented to EP RRTC, Cornell. Distance learning. 2014.
- Youth Directed Work Incentives. Presented to NY OMH. Albany, NY. 2014.
- Reimaging Student and Family Outcomes. Presented to USDOE. Albany NY. 2014.
- Working Effectively with Individuals with Cognitive and Intellectual Disabilities. Presented to NYSED. Distance learning. 2014.
- Innovations to Support Greater Economic Independence of SSI/DI Recipients. Presented to World Institute on Disability. Berkley CA. 2014.
- Braiding and Blending Funding to Support More Effective SSI/DI Work Outcomes. Presented to NYSED. Distance learning. 2014.
- Supporting Effective Transition of Students with Disabilities. Presented to NYSED. Rochester NY. 2014.
- Supporting Effective Transition of Students with Disabilities. Presented to NYSED. Albany NY. 2014.
- Envisioning the Future and Developing a Path to Get There. Presented to CCLD . Toronto Canada. 2014.
- Innovations in Leadership and Management. Presented to New York State Education Department. Albany NY. 2014.
- Pathways to Economic Success: How Work Incentives Planning Can Increase Employment Outcomes. Presented to Kessler Foundation. Edison NY. 2014.
- Self-Sufficiency: SSI and SSDI Recipients. Presented to NY CASE Grant. Albany, NY. 2013.
- Evaluating the impact of Medicaid Buy-In program on healthcare expenditures in NYS. Presented to Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management Conference. Baltimore, MD. 2012.
Honors and Awards
- Alumni Achievement Award, Eastern Nazarene College. 2012
- Outstanding Service and Leadership, New York State Department of Education. 2009
- Outstanding Contribution to New York Goes Back to Work, Rehabilitation Support Services. 2008