Thomas GoldenAssociate Director and Extension Faculty
Thomas P. Golden, AbD., C.R.C. is the Associate Director of the K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Institute on Employment and Disability and on teaching faculty in the Disability Studies Program in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University. Since joining faculty in 1991 his research ,scholarship, publication and teaching has focused on domestic and global disability policy; social insurance and return to work; adult transition planning for youth with disabilities; and organizational change as it relates to full community inclusion and membership.
In the disability studies sequences in the ILR School, Thomas has taught and continues to teach several courses, including: ILR LR 4023 Disability Employment Policy; ILR LR 4033 Disability Law; ILR LR 1200 Introduction to Disability Studies; ILR IC 4306 Global Comparative Disability Policy; and online versions of ILR IC 4360 and ILR LR 4023. His coursework focuses primarily on bridging the policy to practice gap as it relates to employment and disability for individuals with disabilities.
Thomas' current reseach portofilio focuses in two primary areas related to sponsored efforts within EDI. The first is a $32.5 million dollar research demonstration testing innovations that lead to effective adult living, learning and earning outcomes for youth with disabilities who receive Supplemental Secuity Income. The second area is focused on institutional theory and change as it relates to the transformation of segregated work setting for individuals with disabilities.
Thomas continues to provide organizational development and consultation services to the workforce development and vocational rehabilitation system under a variety of fee-for-service contracts. In addition he recently concluded serving on the Dean's Search Committee, as well as serving as faculty advisor to both the Mock Trial Association and Autism Speaks Chapter at Cornell. He currently sits on the Technical Adivsory Group for the National Ticket to Work and Workforce Systems Evaluation Study, and is a member of the Center for Economic Growth Advisory Group at the World Institute on Disability.
- Arun Karpur, David R Brewer, Thomas P Golden. . Critical program elements in transition to adulthood: Comparative analysis of New York State and the NLTS2, Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals. xx(x):1-12. (doi:10.1177/2165143413476880)
- Thomas P Golden, Susanne Marie Bruyere, Arun Karpur, Zafar Nazarov, Sara VanLooy. 2012. Workforce development policy: Unrealized potential for Americans with Disabilities., Journal of Rehabilitation Policy. 26(1):5-18.
- Thomas P Golden, M Jones. 2002. How the Social Security Administration Supports the Postsecondary Education Outcomes of Students with Disabilities, IMPACT: Feature Issue on the Social Security Administration and Transition. 14(4).
- Thomas P Golden, M Jones. 2002. How the Social Security Administration Supports the Postsecondary Education Outcomes of Students with Disabilities, Impact. 14(4).
- Thomas P Golden, M A Jones. 2002. SSI and Postsecondary Education Support for students with disabilities, Impact (Newsletter of the Institute on Community Integration). 15(1).
- Thomas P Golden, S O’Mara, C Ferrell, J Sheldon. 2000. A theoretical construct for benefits planning and assistance in the Ticket to Work and Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999, Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation. 14(3).
- Thomas P Golden. 1999. Participation in Vocational Rehabilitation Programs...moving toward independence, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling. 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden, S O’Mara, J Czechowicz. 1999. Plans for Achieving Self-Support: An improved tool for self-directed vocational rehabilitation, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling. 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden. 1999. Promoting Career Development and Pursuit of Employment, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling. 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden. 1999. Utilizing the Work Incentive Provisions of the Social Security Act, Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling. 29(4).
- Thomas P Golden, S A Smith, J H Golden. 1993. A Review of Current Strategies, Trends, and Consumer Perceptions for the Enhancement of Vocational Outcomes Following Brain Injury, Journal of Rehabilitation. 59(4):55-60.
- D Degelman, Thomas P Golden, J Blackburn. 1986. The Effect of Short Term Logo Experience On Concept Learning in Preschool Children, The Journal of Educational Computing Research. 2
- Raymond Adam Cebula III, Thomas P Golden. . Mapping a path to work. (Accepted)
- Ed Lopez-Soto, Thomas P Golden. 2010. Medicaid & Work: Keeping Your Medicaid While You Work. Ithaca, New York: Employment and Disability Institute, Cornell University, 2010.
- Ed Lopez-Soto, Thomas P Golden. 2010. Ticket to Work: Choosing the Right Employment Network . Ithaca, New York: Employment and Disability Institute, Cornell University, 2010.
- Ed Lopez-Soto, Thomas P Golden. 2010. Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Calculating the Impact of Earnings on Benefits Supplemental Security Income . Ithaca, New York: Employment and Disability Institute, Cornell University, 2010.
- Leveraging SEction 503 Regulations to Advance Employment Opportunities with Federal Contractors and Subcontractors. Presented to CANAR. Online. 2015.
- Tools to Support Effective Work Outcomes for SSI/DI Beneficiaries. Presented to NJ APSE. Piscataway NJ. 2015.
- Leading Organizational Transformation. Presented to NJ APSE. Piscataway NY. 2015.
- Managing Overpayments. Presented to NYSED. Distance learning. 2015.
- Organizational Transformation and Continuous Quality Improvement Through Organizational Assessment. Presented to Jewish Vocaitonal Services. Piscataway NJ. 2014.
- Leveraging Section 503 to Advance Employment Opportunities. Presented to EP RRTC, Cornell. Distance learning. 2014.
- Youth Directed Work Incentives. Presented to NY OMH. Albany, NY. 2014.
- Reimaging Student and Family Outcomes. Presented to USDOE. Albany NY. 2014.
- Working Effectively with Individuals with Cognitive and Intellectual Disabilities. Presented to NYSED. Distance learning. 2014.
- Innovations to Support Greater Economic Independence of SSI/DI Recipients. Presented to World Institute on Disability. Berkley CA. 2014.
- Braiding and Blending Funding to Support More Effective SSI/DI Work Outcomes. Presented to NYSED. Distance learning. 2014.
- Supporting Effective Transition of Students with Disabilities. Presented to NYSED. Rochester NY. 2014.
- Supporting Effective Transition of Students with Disabilities. Presented to NYSED. Albany NY. 2014.
- Envisioning the Future and Developing a Path to Get There. Presented to CCLD . Toronto Canada. 2014.
- Innovations in Leadership and Management. Presented to New York State Education Department. Albany NY. 2014.
- Pathways to Economic Success: How Work Incentives Planning Can Increase Employment Outcomes. Presented to Kessler Foundation. Edison NY. 2014.
- Self-Sufficiency: SSI and SSDI Recipients. Presented to NY CASE Grant. Albany, NY. 2013.
- Evaluating the impact of Medicaid Buy-In program on healthcare expenditures in NYS. Presented to Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management Conference. Baltimore, MD. 2012.
Honors and Awards
- Alumni Achievement Award, Eastern Nazarene College. 2012
- Outstanding Service and Leadership, New York State Department of Education. 2009
- Outstanding Contribution to New York Goes Back to Work, Rehabilitation Support Services. 2008