People at ILR
Jason NewtonVisiting Assistant Professor
My teaching and research focus on the history of capitalism, labor, and the environment in rural America. My book project “Cutover Capitalism: The Industrialization of the Northern Forest, 1850-1950," provides a new perspective on the process of industrialization in America through the study of rural workers. I argue that, as rural America industrialized, the built environment and bodies of workers became conceived of as part of nature and these natural forces were mobilized to increase the scale and efficiency of production in the forest. The fulcrum of my argument is a 1904 scientific study of loggers’ diet that shows how the invention of the calorie and nutritional sciences allowed the metabolism of industrial workers to be refined and exploited as a natural force to speed up the labor process in the forest.
- Jason L. Newton. . Educating the Underworked: Dudley Allen Sargent and the Power of the Rural Working-class Body in the United States, 1875-1919, Gender & History .
- Jason L. Newton. . ‘These French Canadian of the Woods are Half-Wild Folk’: Wilderness, Whiteness, and Work in North America, 1840–1955, Labour/Le Travail . 77(1):121-150.
- Jason L. Newton. 2019. Book Review: From Head Shops to Whole Foods: The Rise and Fall of Activist Entrepreneurs, by Joshua Clark Davis. ILR Review, 2019. (Accepted)
- Rivers, Railroads, and Trucks: A historical look at technology and employment relations in the logging industry. Presented to Industry Studies Association. Seattle, WA. 2018.
Honors and Awards
- World Wood Day Foundation research grant, International Wood Culture Society. 2016
- Hotchkiss/Ketcham Dissertation Completion Fellowship, Syracuse University. 2015
- The Alfred D. Chandler Jr. Travel Fellowship, Harvard Business School. 2015
- Moynihan Challenge Research Grant, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, Syracuse. 2014
- Alfred D. Bell, Jr. Travel Grant, Forest History Society. 2014
- New England Regional Fellowship Consortium, Massachusetts Historical Society. 2013
- The Anna K. and Mary E. Cunningham Research Residencies in New York State History and Culture, New York State Library. 2013
- Weston A. Cate Jr. , Vermont Historical Society. 2013