David BrewerSenior Extension Associate
David Brewer is on program teaching staff with Cornell University 's Employment and Disability Institute in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations Extension Division at Cornell University . He currently manages the development of TransQUAL Online: tools and professional development materials to promote improvement of secondary education programs under the New York State Education Department. For the New York State Department of Labor under a federal grant, he is managing the development of Universal Access-NY: an online tool to measure and improve access to the Workforce Development system for all one-stop customers. He provides technical assistance to secondary special education programs in New York State under contract with the New York State Education Department. He has developed policy recommendations, resource materials and curricula for the New York State Education Department on the subject of student self-determination. Mr. Brewer collaborated with the University of Oregon as the New York State Liaison for a federal grant, the Next STEP Curriculum Project, an approach to teach students to direct their future planning process. He has over thirty years of experience working the area of special education and transition from school to adult life, and holds a Permanent New York State Teaching Certificate in Special Education.
- Arun Karpur, David R Brewer, Thomas P Golden. . Critical program elements in transition to adulthood: Comparative analysis of New York State and the NLTS2, Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals. xx(x):1-12. (doi:10.1177/2165143413476880)
- David R Brewer, Arun Karpur, Sukyeong Pi, William Erickson, Unger Darlene, Valerie Malzer. . Evaluation of a Multi-site Transition to Adulthood Program for Youth with Disabilities in New York State, Journal of Rehabilitation.
- Arun Karpur, Zafar Nazarov, David R Brewer, Susanne Marie Bruyere. 2014. Impact of Parental Welfare Participation: Transition to Postsecondary Education for Youth With and Without Disabilities, Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals. 37(1):1-11. (doi:10.1177/2165143414522093)
- David R Brewer, Arun Karpur, Sukyeong Pi, Kathryn Ferguson, William Erickson, Valerie Malzer, Susan Smith. 2009. EVALUATING YOUTH CAREER DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES IN NEW YORK. in 7th International Knowledge, Economy & Management Congress. Yalova: International Knowledge, Economy & Management Congress, 2009.
- The Anti-Model Model: The Individual and Collective Contributions of Transition Practices. . Williamsburg, VA. 2013.
- Work Incentive for SSA Recipients with Disabilities. Presented to NJ SILC. Princeton, NJ. 2013.
- Work Works?. Presented to Employment and Disability Institute. Ithaca, NY. 2013.
- Best practices in transition: Empirical modeling of statewide and national comparative datasets. . Washington, DC. 2012.
- A New Online Community of Practice. Presented to US General Services Administration. Washington, DC. 2012.
- Collaboration and Impact on Transition Services for Youth with Disabilities. Presented to Council for Exceptional Children Division on Career Development and Transition. Kansas City, Missouri. 2011.
- Evaluation of a Multi-site Transition to Adulthood Program for Youth with Disabilities in New York State. Presented to Nordic Network on Disability Research. Reykjavik, Iceland. 2011.
- Regional Transition Leadership. Presented to NYS VESID. Web-based Training. 2010.
- Multi-site Evaluation Strategies. Presented to Yalova University. Yalova, Turkey. 2009.