ILR School and the University of Melbourne Exchange
The University of Melbourne student exchange is with the Faculty of Business and Economics. The University of Melbourne is an internationally recognized research-intensive university with a strong tradition of excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement. Established in 1853, it is Australia's second oldest university. The University of Melbourne is ranked as number 1 in Australia and number 33 in the world according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014-2015.
The University of Melbourne has seven campus locations across Melbourne and rural Victoria, including the Parkville campus. The University of Melbourne is five minutes from the center of Melbourne, a leafy campus with cafés, shops, and spectacular architecture. With great public transportation, you'll feel right at home anywhere in the city.
Program Terms and Dates
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
- Fall 2017 Semester: 10 July 2017 to 17 November 2017
- Spring 2018 Semester: 12 February 2018 to 22 June 2018
*Exact dates to be confirmed by the Univerity of Melbourne
Courses and Credits
Students have the option to take courses across various departments in the Faculty of Business and Economics. View Melbourne's course offerings in the Faculty of Business and Economics here: Melbourne Course Offerings.
- Students must enroll in four full-time courses.
- Students can earn up to 15 ILR elective credits per semester.
- Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
Tuition and Other Costs
- This exchange program is tuition-neutral (students pay regular tuition to the ILR School).
- Financial aid would apply; if you are currently receiving financial aid, your package would be adjusted based on your determined level of need and the projected costs of the program.
- ILR exchange students are responsible for the following expenses: passport, visa, airfare, room and board, transportation, course fees (if applicable), books, and personal expenses.
- Students can apply for the Grindlinger Award for study in Australia (see application details below) for up to $2500 to help cover travel costs.
ILR undergraduate students interested in expanding their academic knowledge of Australia, international business, and economics may apply. In addition, ILR undergraduate students must
- have junior or senior standing;
- have all ILR core requirements completed;
- be in good standing with the ILR School and the University; and
- have a 3.0 GPA.
How to Apply
1. Make an appointment.
Interested students must meet with Tamara Ingram, Assistant Director ILR International Programs, to discuss plans and eligibility. To make an appointment, e-mail: email@example.com.
2. Complete online application (for Fall 2018 study only).
You must log in with your NetID and password to access the application.
Please note that you can only apply the semester prior to your intended semester abroad.
Spring 2018 Application Deadline: September 30th, 2017, by midnight
Fall 2018 Application Deadline: March 15th, 2018, by midnight
Fall 2017 Application Deadline: November 1st, 2017
ILR students studying in Australia can apply for the Grindlinger Award for up to $2500 to help cover travel costs. Students can only apply once in Australia, and funds are only disbursed after successful completion of courses, submission of a final report to the donors, and receipt of transcripts.
View details about the application process here: Grindlinger Award Application Instructions (PPTX, 623 KB)