Renmin Business School
ILR School and Renmin Business School Academic Year Exchange
Broaden your international business perspective by studying at the Renmin University of China Business School (RBS). RBS was founded in 1950, and is one of China’s most respected business schools. RBS is one of the few business schools in China to have EQUIS and AACSB accreditation, and RBS’ discipline of Business Administration ranked the 1st in the third national disciplinary assessment by the Ministry of Education in China. In addition to its growing reputation, RBS has academic exchange programs with various universities in Canada, France, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
RBS is located in the Haidian District of Beijing, which is the hub of university education and major software companies. Important universities in the area include Peking University, Tsinghua University, Beijing Institute of Technology, and Beijing Foreign Studies University. Major software companies in the area include Microsoft, NEC, and Siemens, among others. RUC is in close proximity to historic areas such as the Old Summer Palace, the Summer Palace, and the high speed rail.
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Courses and Credits
RBS consists of seven departments: Finance, Management Science and Engineering, Accounting, Trade Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Organization and Human Resources. Students may take courses offered in English across departments, and all students must take one course in Mandarin language study.
- Students must enroll in a total of 15 credits.
- Students must take one course in Mandarin language study.
- Students can earn up to 15 ILR elective credits per semester.
- Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
View RBS's course offerings from previous years here: RBS Course Offerings
Tuition and Other Costs
The RBS exchange program is tuition-neutral (students pay regular tuition to the ILR School). Financial aid would apply. If you are currently receiving financial aid, your package would be adjusted based on your determined level of need and the projected costs of the program.
ILR exchange students are responsible for their passport, visa, airfare, room and board, transportation, and fees related to courses, books, and personal expenses. If selected to the program, students may apply for a special China Grant to help cover some of the costs.
Who Should Apply?
ILR undergraduate students interested in expanding their academic and business knowledge of China and interested in studying Mandarin language at any level. In addition, ILR undergraduate students must
- have junior or senior standing;
- have all ILR core requirements completed;
- be in good standing with the ILR School and the University; and
- have a 3.0 GPA by the time of departure.
Note: Because the RBS Exchange is a unique cross-cultural opportunity, ILR students who graduated from high school in China are not eligible for the program.