Ireland has a relatively low crime rate, and study there is unlikely to be any riskier than studying here on campus. In the end, your personal behavior and preparation will be the most valuable in maximizing your health and safety while you are abroad. Please consider the following precautions:
- Be modest in both dress and behavior. Don't draw attention to yourself.
- Don't walk alone at night or in areas that are unfamiliar to you.
- Never accept a ride from someone you don't know.
- Don't give out personal information, such as your address, to strangers.
- Maintain regular contact with your advisors at UCD and at the ILR School.
- Always leave contact information and an itinerary with family or friends if you are traveling. Be sure to note when your anticipated return date is.
- Always have sufficient money with you.
- Keep copies of your passport, credit cards, and health insurance information in a safe place.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol. You are more likely to engage in dangerous activities when your judgment is impaired.
- Practice safe sex.
- We strongly discourage you from driving while in Ireland. Ireland is considered a very dangerous place to drive and public transit is more than adequate for most of your travel needs.
Use the following links to learn more about safety, security and health abroad.
- Passports and Visas
- Health Concerns and Insurance
- Disability Support Services
- Student Conduct and Liability
- Travel Resources
We require that students be covered by a comprehensive health insurance policy. Comprehensive coverage includes:
- Medically necessary care (NOT just emergency care) while abroad
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Coverage in Ireland & during any travel you may take outside of Ireland
- Maximum benefit of at least $500,000 per year
- Provide coverage when you return from Ireland that will cover any conditions contracted abroad.
Students are covered for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance through FrontierMEDEX, an organization that provides medical evacuation in the event of an emergency. This is a free service provided to each Cornell student.
In an emergency, you must call FrontierMEDEX as pre-approval is required for medical evacuation. If calling from Ireland the number is 1 (800) 409-529. From the USA the number is: 1 (800) 527-0218, or 1 (410) 453-6330 (MEDEX Emergency Response Center) . You should identify your child as a Cornell student and provide the Cornell University ID number #343211.
We also ask, in the event of an emergency, you contact our office as soon as is reasonable. We can be reached at: (607) 255-2266 or by email at email@example.com.
Please visit the Health section for more information on health insurance and FrontierMEDEX.