In order to work with the same document formats as your PC-using coworkers, you will need to install Microsoft Office 2011 on your Mac. Microsoft Office for Mac is free for faculty, staff, and affiliates. You may obtain a copy of Microsoft Office at the following address: http://www.it.cornell.edu/services/software_licensing/available/ms_office.cfm#suites
On that page, find the link to Office for Macintosh and click on it. You may be required to supply your NetID and NetID password.
Once the file is downloaded, proceed with the following steps.
1. Open the Microsoft Office installer you downloaded from your downloads location.
2. Double click the "Office Installer" icon at the center of the window.
3. Click the "Continue" button at the bottom of the window.
4. Click "Continue" after viewing the agreement, then click "Agree."
5. Click "Install," and allow the installer to run. This may take as much as 10-15 minutes, depending on the speed of your Mac.
6. When the installer finishes, you may close the window. Notice the new Office icons in your Dock.
7. Enter your first name, and optionally your last name and company, then click "Continue."
8. Select "Yes" for the first question and "No" for the second, and then click "Continue."