Academic Grades and Notations
Cornell University has established the following system of grade point equivalents for academic grades:
|Letter Grade||Grade Point Equivalent|
Semester and cumulative GPA
You can calculate your semester average by multiplying the number of credit hours awarded for each course by the grade point earned, then adding the total and dividing by the credit hours for the semester. (The same procedure applies for the cumulative GPA, but you divide by the total number of credits and grades in all semesters to arrive at the cumulative average.)
If you request an extension of time to complete the requirements of a course, and the instructor agrees to your request (you have been attending and handing in assignments but illness, accident or situations beyond your control warrant your request), you and the instructor will agree on a due date and "Inc." will be entered on your record for the course. Incompletes that are not completed in two semesters automatically become "F" grades.
After the eighth week in a semester, the notation "W" is entered on your record if your petition to withdraw from a course (for reasons of health, accident, or documentable factors beyond your control) is approved by the Faculty Committee on Academic Standards and Scholarships.
Courses are listed by instructors and departments as A+-F, or S/U, or A+-F - S/U. If they are listed only as letter-graded or only S/U, you will be registered only for the option stated. If they are listed as optional, you must choose and receive one or the other of the grading options before the end of the Add-Drop period. ILR Faculty Legislation prohibits changing from one to the other (A+-F to S/U or S/U to A=-F) after that time, and no petitions are to be received or reviewed asking for such a change in option after the Add-Drop period is over.
S/U grading policy
An undergraduate may elect to receive a grade of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) in courses offering this option, either in the School or in other divisions of the University, subject to the following conditions:
- Option may be elected, if available, in ILR electives, or in out-of-college electives, but not including directed studies.
- Registration is limited to two S/U courses per term, not to exceed four hours in any one course.
- Students registering for S/U grades must be in good academic standing.
- Degree requirements include a minimum of 105 letter-grade (A+ - D-) credits.
- In awarding a grade of S or U, faculty members will use the following standards: S = grade of C- or better; U = grade of D+ or lower.
- A grade of "U" is to be considered the equivalent of an "F" in determining a students academic status but will not affect grade point average.
- No change of elected grading option may be made after the first seven weeks of University instruction. There shall be no exceptions and no appeals.