Renmin University of China (RUC) is the first comprehensive research university established by the People’s Republic of China. RUC initially began as Shanbei Public School in 1937 and gradually evolved into one of the most prestigious research universities in China in 1950. Today RUC specializes in the study of the humanities and the social sciences.
The ILR-RUC summer exchange is with the School of Labor & Human Resources. The School of Labor & Human Resources (SLHR), founded in October 1983, is China's top institution for educating students in labor, social security, and human resource management. The School offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Labor Economics, Social Security, Human Resource Management, and Labor Relations.
Program Terms and Dates
RUC Summer Program Dates (currently unavailable, but the program usually takes place during the month of July)
*Exact dates to be confirmed by RUC
Courses and Credits
RUC offers an extensive summer curriculum for international exchange students. All classes are taught in English by distinguished RUC faculty.
- Students must enroll in two courses (a total of 4 credits): One course must be in Mandarin language study, and the other can be in any subject related to China.
- Students can earn up to 4 ILR elective credits for the summer term.
- Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
Tuition and Other Costs
- The RUC Summer Exchange program is tuition-neutral (students’ regular tuition to the ILR School covers the tuition cost for the summer program).
- ILR exchange students are responsible for their passport, visa, airfare, room and board, transportation, fees related to courses, books, and personal expenses.
- If selected to the program, students may apply for a special China grant to help cover some of the costs.
- Financial aid does not apply for the summer program.
ILR freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors (returning to ILR in the fall) and MILR students interested in expanding their academic knowledge of China and interested in studying Mandarin language at any level may apply. In addition, all students must
- be in good academic standing with the ILR School and the University; and
- have a 3.0 GPA.
Note: Because the RUC Summer Exchange is a unique cross-cultural opportunity, ILR students who graduated from high school in China are not eligible for the program.
How to Apply
Early decision application deadline for Summer 2019 study: December, 15th, 2018, by midnight.
1. Make an appointment.
Interested students must meet with Tamara Ingram, Assistant Director ILR International Programs, to discuss plans and eligibility. To make an appointment, e-mail: email@example.com.
2. Complete online application (for Summer 2019 study only).
You must log in with your NetID and password to access the application.